Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio Crossfade
JRW [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2019 12:29 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am new to Power Director. I have tried applying crossfades to shots in various ways & in each case where the underlying sound is fairly constant (eg aircraft engine noise) the audio crossfades, but each time there is a small blip/thud in the audio where the audio changes, so it is not a seamless transition ... is this a limitation of the program or am I doing something wrong?

I have tried crossfading with audio and video split and using different transitions and also just overlapping the clips but in very instance whilst the video is smooth the audio is not.

I am used to audio editing where a crossfade does not produce effects like this. I just upgraded to PD 365 from V16 because 16 was unable to show the audio waveform, now I am wondering if I should have upgraded!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Let us know if your transition behavior is set to overlap or cross.
JRW [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2019 12:29 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Let us know if your transition behavior is set to overlap or cross.

Thanks for the quick reply!

My initial crossfades were done by dragging one clip to overlap the other. I also tried using the Cross transition but the effect on audio was the same
Alex Foster [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2016 11:09 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem here!

How many times does this ugly bug has to be addressed, dear Cyberlink staff? (If you're reading this, which you of course don't since it's "only a forum")....
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Alex, are you just moving from topic to topic, spamming the forum boards? What are you trying to accomplish?

This is a positive forum. People helping people. Interrupting a dozen conversations just to trash the product doesn't really help anyone.

Why not just get a refund (by contacting CyberLink, not by posting here) and move on to another product?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2019 08:46

Alex Foster [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Alex, are you just moving from topic to topic, spamming the forum boards? What are you trying to accomplish?

This is a positive forum. People helping people. Interrupting a dozen conversations just to trash the product doesn't really help anyone.

Why not just get a refund (by contacting CyberLink, not by posting here) and move on to another product?

Hi... look, I'm deeply sorry, as I said in another topic (which is basically about the same bug, mind you!), I don't want to be rude or "negative", really, but from version to version I sense a certain growing sloppiness as far as programming is concerned. That's all I'm saying.

At the moment I have several projects running, and every time I get this darn audio glitch!, which wasn't there in any previous version of PD, so yeah, you could say, I was (and to a degree still am) a little pissed. I pay for the product, you know, recurringly (365)...
JimnJill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2009 03:04 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, interesting that this is not just my issue. I initially thought it was a cross fade issue however it goes deeper than that. Every time I join 2 clips together this issue arises, I describe it as the audio turning off for a nano second, or a "blip". I've tried several things, including running 2 video-audio tracks symultaneously, and the track with joined clips I muted while the other ran continuously with no joins in the audio.
I've even tried running just an audio track separately as an "overlay" and the audio still comes up with the "blip" at the same time the video track crosses from one clip to the next.
The only way I've found around it so far is to go back to PD16 on an older computer and the audio works seamelessly on that version.
Has anyone come up with a solution yet? I've sent a query to Cyberlink over the weekend and am waiting to hear back from them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 03. 2019 15:31

Alex Foster [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi, interesting that this is not just my issue. I initially thought it was a cross fade issue however it goes deeper than that. Every time I join 2 clips together this issue arises, I describe it as the audio turning off for a nano second, or a "blip". I've tried several things, including running 2 video-audio tracks symultaneously, and the track with joined clips I muted while the other ran continuously with no joins in the audio.
I've even tried running just an audio track separately as an "overlay" and the audio still comes up with the "blip" at the same time the video track crosses from one clip to the next.
The only way I've found around it so far is to go back to PD16 on an older computer and the audio works seamelessly on that version.
Has anyone come up with a solution yet? I've sent a query to Cyberlink over the weekend and am waiting to hear back from them.

You know what? I actually do have a workaround (until CL hopefully solves this glaring bug!):

--> I mark (using the yellow lines left and right of the white timeline marker), say, three seconds before and after the transition, then I click on "Render Preview" and then 99.9% of the time it's gone! Tell me if it works for you too...
JimnJill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2009 03:04 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Alex Foster that actually worked a treat!!! (to start with)!! However - the audio volume then fluctuated randomly throguhout the entire clip . . . so by following your process over the entire timeline it seemed to have overcome that issue, until I rendered the final clip - and guess what - the audio glitches re-surfaced!!! Thanks for the advice, either I was doing it wrong or the issue runs deeper than I thought. I think I'll go back to v.16 that I have on an older computer... Cheers mate . . .

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 03. 2019 20:04

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
If "Render Preview" takes care of the issue, more than likely it's just another real-time timeline editing playback glitch and more than likely won't occur in the finished "Produced" file either, even if "Render Preview" was not done.

Would be worth a try and see if above statement is true, if so, just a thing to work around in the timeline editing but no real value to "Render Preview" everything unless you really need it for timeline editing clarity of some fine audio issue.

Edit: While I was typing original response it looks like JimnJill modified the post and states "Produce" has flaws, too bad, another issue for CL to address.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 03. 2019 20:33

pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
FWIW, when I make videos from my airplane, I just butt the engine noise audio up against another clip. As long as the engine is at the same power setting, the noise sounds the same.

I will add, though, since we're talking about audio crossfade, I wish that PD faded audio in and out whenever I applied fade in/fade out to video. If I'm allowed to mention another product here (I've seen others do it), Magix's MEP does this automatically when you fade video in and out. (That is, the audio level tracks the video opacity level.)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ...I will add, though, since we're talking about audio crossfade, I wish that PD faded audio in and out whenever I applied fade in/fade out to video.

It does. All you need to do is place a Fade transition at the end of a clip and PD will automatically fade the audio in or out to match the visual fade.
pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried it in PD15 after you told me about it.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. But it didn't fade the audio for me.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I should have explained things more fully. While what I said is true when a transition is placed across adjoining clips, that's not a true fade in/out to black/silence.

I should have said that you also need to drag an audio transition (Constant Power or Constant Gain) onto the end directly below the visual transition. That will exactly match the visual fade in/out timing. Sorry for the incomplete explanation!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ahh.. a two step process.

So then I would like it to be a one step process, where video & audio track at the same time. Maybe PD doesn't think that way, work-flow wise.