Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing an object in particle designer washes out color
cotsy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2018 12:21 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Im trying to make a clip of falling red chilli peppers with particle director. I have a low res .png file for the chile that is very red. When I use it in particle designer, and run the clip is washes out the color making it look almost white.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi cotsy -

Obviously that shouldn't be happening unless YOU tell it to!

One thing you might check in Particle Designer is whether you have any colour or fade options checked (down the bottom of parameters).

Here's a red hot particle I just made. The colours in the particle are the same as the original .png files used. Attached is one of the original PNGs if you'd like to test it in Particle Designer.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Red_Chili_Pepper_1.png]
 Filename
Red_Chili_Pepper_1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1665 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
cotsy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much for the quick reply. Your particle looks much better than mine (more red). I used your png file and had the same result with white out edges. Not sure how to add a screen clip to show you. The problem happens when you increase the size of the object. I took your particle and increased the size and the white edges/fading comes in. Not sure how to fix this.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated for all the helpers on this site.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Not sure how to add a screen clip to show you.

Save the screenshot as a JPG or PNG, then attach it using this button below the forum text box:

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Changing the size affects the colour??? That's strange. It has no impact on colour here...

Could you also attach your original .png file?

Cheers - Tony
cotsy [Avatar]
[Post New]
I still am having the issue. I downloaded your particle and modified the size. I have attached the particle parameters and the resulting screenshot of the pepper in PD and the rendered video.
Thanks again.
[Thumb - red pepper white out parameters.JPG]
 Filename
red pepper white out parameters.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - red pepper white out 1.JPG]
 Filename
red pepper white out 1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - red pepper white out.JPG]
 Filename
red pepper white out.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi cotsy -

I have an apology to make to you. When you suggested that changing particle size had an effect on colour, I questioned it & almost dismissed it. I was wrong.

After looking at your red pepper particle settings, I started testing various graphics in Particle Designer. What I found is that graphics containing a glow effect (like the shiny surface of the red pepper) definitely get washed out when the size is increased too much.

Typically, if particle size is set to 35 or less, with size variation set to 100 or less you wouldn't see any ill effects... but when it gets pushed past that you get that washed out effect.

The same does NOT apply to flat coloured objects.

Back to your red pepper particle... if you set the size at (say) 20 & the size variation at about 100, it'll be OK.

Cheers - Tony