Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Bad DVD quality but Produce looks okay - Issue with HD to DVD
DineshCanada [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2017 17:02 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I am using PowerDirector 15 Ultimate

I hope somebody can help me. I have wasted 3 DVDs and tried different options. The videos that I used came from GoPro Hero 7 Black and iPhone 8. All are 1080p HD I believe. Quality looks great when I am editing and even after production but when I burn to DVD there are lines on the screen and the picture is slightly blurry. Photos and videos look distorted. I have tried DVD-HQ and MPEG-2 with 720x480 24p and others. I tried intelligent SVRT options also. Tried progressive. Clips are progressive also. Any suggestions?

Specs of my computer:

Lenovo Laptop
Intel Core i5 2.5 GHz
4 GB memory/RAM
Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Windows 10 Pro
500 GB SSD Drive

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 21. 2019 22:25

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
1080p video has 6 times the resolution of the dvd at 480/60i. The dvd is also interlaced. It would be far better to burn to avchd or blu-ray disc to get the full HD resolution.
DineshCanada [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote 1080p video has 6 times the resolution of the dvd at 480/60i. The dvd is also interlaced. It would be far better to burn to avchd or blu-ray disc to get the full HD resolution.

Thanks for the response. I am trying to downgrade to 720p or 480p so that I can fit it on to a standard DVD. Even 480p at full quality would look better than what I am getting right now. How do I achieve that?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can have 480p or 720p video by using a custom profile to produce but not with dvd. 480p is only available in commercial dvds and not available using any consumer software that I am aware of.
DineshCanada [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You can have 480p or 720p video by using a custom profile to produce but not with dvd. 480p is only available in commercial dvds and not available using any consumer software that I am aware of.

Oh I see. So what quality does DVD-HQ produce in PowerDirector 15? It still has the lines and poor quality with this option when I burn to DVD.

Please suggest best options for DVD.
DineshCanada [Avatar]
[Post New]

Oh I see. So what quality does DVD-HQ produce in PowerDirector 15? It still has the lines and poor quality with this option when I burn to DVD.

Please suggest best options for DVD.

EDIT: Actually problem might be DVD player (VLC on my computer). Somebody suggested de-interlacing option with "bob" and quality looks better. I will have to try the DVD on other devices also.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]

EDIT: Actually problem might be DVD player (VLC on my computer). Somebody suggested de-interlacing option with "bob" and quality looks better. I will have to try the DVD on other devices also.

If you are playing the video on your computer, why the heck would you downgrade HD video from a GoPro to a video format that is over 20 years old? Just produce it has a file and put it on a USB flash drive or something.

Dave

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 22. 2019 21:01

DineshCanada [Avatar]
[Post New]

EDIT #1: Actually problem might be DVD player (VLC on my computer). Somebody suggested de-interlacing option with "bob" and quality looks better. I will have to try the DVD on other devices also.

EDIT #2: It was indeed the DVD player. Looked great when played through a PS3 and LCD TV. Not 100% compared to original but a drastic improvment over Computer with VLC Player.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 22. 2019 22:03

DineshCanada [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you are playing the video on your computer, why the heck would you downgrade HD video from a GoPro to a video format that is over 20 years old? Just produce it has a file and put it on a USB flash drive or something.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Agreed. but we just like having our home videos of our vacations on DVDs so that we can play it anywhere. For example at a family member's house. Most people have DVD players, but not computers that can hook up to a TV etc.