Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD menu design
BostonBenzman29 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 22, 2013 21:07 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to create a DVD menu and cannot see how to add highlight buttons to my menu text so that the viewer can tell which video he has chosen. The menu works on the PC, because the mouse cursor shows what item you select. But on the TV screen, there is no indication of what item is selected. I checked the box for "Enable text highlight" which is supposed to serve this purpose, but the text does not show any highlight color when I try to select it in the DVD menu screen. I do not see it on the PC screen when I edit nor does it appear on TV after I burn the Disc.
I also tried to add some kind of button or indicator next to the menu text button, but they do not appear on the screen after I select one.
I cannot see what I am doing wrong. This has worked before but I have not done one for a long time and have forgotten. the instruction manual is not useful on how to add these features.
I have wasted several DVDs trying to get this to work and am getting rather frustrated.
Thanks for any help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 21. 2019 14:02

benzman29
Dedham, MA
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I am not sure of which PD previous version that you are referring to. Sound like that you are in the root menu of a text only no thumbnails type of menu. As far as I know the highlight colors does not show on any text that is not white like colored text for example. If this is the case then it is far better to click the button for Set Button Properties/Button Highlight Style/Uncheck Enable text highlight, Choose a Highlight Icon instead. Do this for the Chapers/Titles page also since you are not using thumbnails.

In some of the previous versions of PD the highlight color will be red regardless of which colored highlight icon you choose.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I usually find a menu that generally suits my neeeds, on Directorzone, download it, and alter it. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
BostonBenzman29 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I usually find a menu that generally suits my neeeds, on Directorzone, download it, and alter it.

That is a good suggestion, but there are thousands and thousands to look at and I do not see any easy way to find what I want without excessive time. BUt I admit I have not done much looking there.

My taste is to have very simple menus. Most of my videos are for my church or for guest musicians who plaay at church, and I prefer a minimum of effects and razzmatazz. Many of the menus I see seem to have lots of moving effects, balloons and fireworks and so on, which do not interest me.

One thing that is curious is that I discovered that my copy of PD 15 has no menu templates, whereas I remember having a library of dozens of templates supplied with each of the earlier versions. Once I was familiar with the one or two I liked, I stuck with those. But now I had to build my own to get back to a simple one I understand and that does what I want. benzman29
Dedham, MA
BostonBenzman29 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I am not sure of which PD previous version that you are referring to. Sound like that you are in the root menu of a text only no thumbnails type of menu. As far as I know the highlight colors does not show on any text that is not white like colored text for example. If this is the case then it is far better to click the button for Set Button Properties/Button Highlight Style/Uncheck Enable text highlight, Choose a Highlight Icon instead. Do this for the Chapers/Titles page also since you are not using thumbnails.

In some of the previous versions of PD the highlight color will be red regardless of which colored highlight icon you choose.

Thanks! I use PD15. I was able to add a highlight icon (a red star). I do not know why it did not work the first time i tried it. But later it did work. Possibly my mistake was that I was building a template, saved the template changes, but failed to understand that I also had to apply the template changes to the DVD menu each time i made a change.

Thanks! benzman29
Dedham, MA