Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Codec for smartphone
LEO STARRY SKY [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 07, 2019 12:36 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I had produced 4K Videos so I copy them to my smartphone but I'm unable to play these 4K Videos and there's an error message saying 'SW Decoder needed', I had installed a DVD player app called GOM Player on my smartphone but still unable to play. I had tried installing VLC app also cannot play.

I want to upload these 4K Videos to Instagram but because lack of necessary codec makes me unable to do so.

Any idea how can I install SW Decoder for my smartphone?

Waiting for yr reply asap, thanks.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
What output profile did you produce to? You can change to a different profile and probably get the video to play on your smartphone.

I didn't see any specs on the Instragram site itself, but I found several links to companies wanting you to use their software to convert your videos to work on IG. All of them (like this one) say that the max settings are HD (or 1800x945), 30p, and 60 sec max, so you'd probably want to skip 4K and produce an MP4 HD 30p version directly if you want to upload it from your phone.

Use YouTube or Vimeo if you want to link to a full resolution version from your IG account.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day LEO STARRY SKY -

First up, I don't use Instagram except to help answer questions like yours so my experience is limited.

I've just uploaded a couple of UHD (3840x2160) videos to my Instagram account - directly from the PC, via a free app called Gramblr. The videos were produced in PDR17 using basic AVC H.264 MP4 profiles. There were no issues & it was a painless process.

I haven't tried transferring a video to my phone to upload that way, but I'd consider that to be an unnecessary step... unless I'd shot the video on the phone. Is there a reason you're doing that?

I also haven't tried linking from YouTube or Vimeo as optodata suggested, but I've read you can do that via DropBox - so it should work.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've just uploaded a couple of UHD (3840x2160) videos to my Instagram account - directly from the PC, via a free app called Gramblr. The videos were produced in PDR17 using basic AVC H.264 MP4 profiles. There were no issues & it was a painless process.

I haven't tried transferring a video to my phone to upload that way, but I'd consider that to be an unnecessary step... unless I'd shot the video on the phone. Is there a reason you're doing that?

That Gramblr app sounds very helpful.

The IG FAQs page explicitly states that videos can't be uploaded from a PC, which is why I tried to find the appropriate settings from PD-to-phone-to-IG:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 09. 2019 15:48

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I think there's a bit of a mismatch between the IG FAQs and various changes they've made. i.e. the FAQs were probably written before some "improvements" were implemented.

Like I said, I'm not speaking from vast experience (or much at all) embarassed

BUT, with not much effort (two clicks) I can convince Instagram that I'm on a phone/tablet when sitting at the PC. That's not how I uploaded the video, but I tried that first.

You're right though, optodata, & it doesn't take long when you start scratching round to find quite a bit of conflicting information. Understandable that folks get confuddled.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
LEO STARRY SKY [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote What output profile did you produce to? You can change to a different profile and probably get the video to play on your smartphone.

I didn't see any specs on the Instragram site itself, but I found several links to companies wanting you to use their software to convert your videos to work on IG. All of them (like this one) say that the max settings are HD (or 1800x945), 30p, and 60 sec max, so you'd probably want to skip 4K and produce an MP4 HD 30p version directly if you want to upload it from your phone.

Use YouTube or Vimeo if you want to link to a full resolution version from your IG account.

Hi ynotfish,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge laughing I was thinking a 4K video will be a very clear awesome video, that's why I created them. Ok, now I know it's better to produce a Mp4 video. Yup, next time I will use online feature (Youtube) to produce my video wink

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 10. 2019 01:54

LEO STARRY SKY [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote G'day LEO STARRY SKY -

First up, I don't use Instagram except to help answer questions like yours so my experience is limited.

I've just uploaded a couple of UHD (3840x2160) videos to my Instagram account - directly from the PC, via a free app called Gramblr. The videos were produced in PDR17 using basic AVC H.264 MP4 profiles. There were no issues & it was a painless process.

I also haven't tried linking from YouTube or Vimeo as optodata suggested, but I've read you can do that via DropBox - so it should work.

Cheers - Tony

Hi ynotfish,

Good Day to u too wink

The free app Gramblr which u mentioned, I had tried using it quite long time ago and at that time it didn't work as expected (unable to use at all)

I had noted that choosing AVC H.264 is better than AVC H.265, this lets me wondering why AVC H.265 doesn't work painlessly like AVC H.264, hm~is it don't choose the 1st best one, choose the 2nd best one instead?

The reason for me to upload my video from smartphone to Instagram because it's more easy way than using PC as PC can't upload video (can't find the + sign to upload video), smartphone a few clicks then it's done swiftly.

As for DropBox, right now I don't see the need to use it. Thanks for the info laughing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 10. 2019 02:07

LEO STARRY SKY [Avatar]
[Post New]

That Gramblr app sounds very helpful.

The IG FAQs page explicitly states that videos can't be uploaded from a PC, which is why I tried to find the appropriate settings from PD-to-phone-to-IG:

Hi optodata,

The free app Gramblr which u mentioned, I had tried using it quite long time ago and at that time it didn't work as expected (unable to use at all) so I have no wish to touch it anymore.

Have a great day laughing
LEO STARRY SKY [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I think there's a bit of a mismatch between the IG FAQs and various changes they've made. i.e. the FAQs were probably written before some "improvements" were implemented.

Like I said, I'm not speaking from vast experience (or much at all) embarassed

BUT, with not much effort (two clicks) I can convince Instagram that I'm on a phone/tablet when sitting at the PC. That's not how I uploaded the video, but I tried that first.

You're right though, optodata, & it doesn't take long when you start scratching round to find quite a bit of conflicting information. Understandable that folks get confuddled.

Cheers - Tony

Hi ynotfish,

From my experience, if you want to upload videos to Instagram, it's better for you to use smartphone instead of PC.

Have a pleasant day laughing