Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Keyboard broken (FIXED)
LLOYD1985 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2011 21:32 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I used to use my keyboard arrow keys for trimming videos to link them together but the keyboard no longer works since the last update, I've pressed every key on my keyboard and they do nothing. I thought there might have been an option to enable it but I can't find any. I'm stuck using a mouse to change the trim timer and it's very annoying as some times it will skip a couple hudredths of a second and you have to keep going back. The keyboard was procised.

I thought it could have been caused by a corruption when updating so I did a complete Windows 10 reinstall but the issue is still present.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2019 16:57

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I just tried all four arrow keys in both single and multi-trim and they all work.

Clicked in the settings window. Use left and right arrow keys to place on the set like on the frames to highlight it. Used the up and down keys to change the digits seen.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I thought it could have been caused by a corruption when updating so I did a complete Windows 10 reinstall but the issue is still present.

I assume that your keyboard works normally everywhere else. You didn't mention whether you have the stand-alone or subscription version of PD17, and you didn't state if you did a Reset this PC kind of reset or completely rebuilt Windows from the ground up.

If it's the first option and you haven't explicitly uninstalled PD and reinstalled it, please try that.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
LLOYD1985 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I assume that your keyboard works normally everywhere else. You didn't mention whether you have the stand-alone or subscription version of PD17, and you didn't state if you did a Reset this PC kind of reset or completely rebuilt Windows from the ground up.

If it's the first option and you haven't explicitly uninstalled PD and reinstalled it, please try that.

I did a clean install of Windows 10 by secure erasing my Samsung SSD with Parted Magic, reinstalled Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS 1803. I also installed all the latest drivers for my devices

I have a year subscription for PowerDirector 365 and year subscription for PowerDVD Live.

I've tried three different keyboards and none of them work even the brand new keyboard & mouse set (Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Desktop) I bought today didn't work with using the arrow keys.

I've noticed that the hundredth numbers now go up to 49 where as before the update it only went up to 24 before going back to 0 and the second number changes.
[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
97 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've noticed that the hundredth numbers now go up to 49 where as before the update it only went up to 24 before going back to 0 and the second number changes.

Those are not hundredth numbers but frames, video timecode is HH:MM:SS:FF. which means hours:minutes:seconds:frames. It went to 24 prior as in pref your framerate was set to 25fps, so after 24 it goes to 0 as that's another full second. It now goes to 49 as your timeline is set to 50fps in pref.

Jeff
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
I think it might be a 365 issue as the arrow keys don't work on my version either. Though I never use the keyboard shortcuts, so I can't swear to the previous behaviour.

There is no mention of that keyboard shortcut in the help files.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've noticed that the hundredth numbers now go up to 49 where as before the update it only went up to 24 before going back to 0 and the second number changes.

Your comment above explains everything. Your keyboard arrow keys go to 49 in the past because the video clip is at 50 frames per second. It now goes only to 24 before returning to 00 because your Preferences/General setting is at 25 instead of 50 fps. Change it to 50 and it will work as before you reinstalled windows 10.

EDIT: Jeff answered first while I was still typing.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've tried three different keyboards and none of them work even the brand new keyboard & mouse set (Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Desktop) I bought today didn't work with using the arrow keys.

It seems like there are several different things going on, and most likely all your keyboards are working fine but you're running into the first issue described in this post.

You should be able to hit the key from the main editor screen and switch view from timeline to storyboard. If you drag a title to the timeline, you should also be able to type in characters and use the arrow keys to move through the text.

It's only in a few specific areas that numeric (and apparently arrow) keystrokes are not accepted in v2721.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2019 15:29

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

LLOYD1985 [Avatar]
[Post New]

It seems like there are several different things going on, and most likely all your keyboards are working fine but you're running into the first issue described in this post.

You should be able to hit the key from the main editor screen and switch view from timeline to storyboard. If you drag a title to the timeline, you should also be able to type in characters and use the arrow keys to move through the text.

It's only in a few specific areas that numeric (and apparently arrow) keystrokes are not accepted in v2721.

I've just watched the YouTube video and the first issue is the same thing that I'm having trouble with, I'm also on Version 2721.

I used to be able to type numbers and use the arrows but neither work anymore just as mentioned in the video.
anthrax442 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 28, 2019 21:12 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]

I've just watched the YouTube video and the first issue is the same thing that I'm having trouble with, I'm also on Version 2721.

I used to be able to type numbers and use the arrows but neither work anymore just as mentioned in the video.

I've got this same problem. Not being able to type in time codes makes the program unusable. This is the second time since I've owned this software that this has broken after a patch. Thankfully, last time there was a hotfix available that fixed the issue, but it doesn't look like that's the case this time.

When will this be fixed? And can Powerdirector 365 users PLEASE be given the option to revert patches? I'm dead in the water right now, and I'm very dissappointed that this has now been broken a second time on update.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote When will this be fixed? And can Powerdirector 365 users PLEASE be given the option to revert patches? I'm dead in the water right now, and I'm very dissappointed that this has now been broken a second time on update.

We're all fellow users, and none of us has any inside info as to when the next update will occur, although it's been long enough that hopefully relief will be coming soon.

If you make regular system image backups or use Windows System Restore points, you can revert to an image before Mar 30 and then make sure the Cyberlink App Manager is not running automatically. That will bring back and let you keep v2514.

If that's not an option, you can still use the Trim tool with these simple workarounds:

All sliders can be adjusted with frame-level accuracy, and numeric arrows and the preview FWD/BACK frame keys can be used to tweak the exact position if that's easier.

You can also type in the exact slider position from the main project's timeline counter, and the slider will be positioned there when you open the tool. You can click the mark in or mark out button right away (located above "can be set" in the above image).

Obviously this is more work than was needed before the update came out, but it's a straightforward way to keep going without waiting for a fix.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 28. 2019 23:40

YouTube/optodata

anthrax442 [Avatar]
[Post New]

We're all fellow users, and none of us has any inside info as to when the next update will occur, although it's been long enough that hopefully relief will be coming soon.

If you make regular system image backups or use Windows System Restore points, you can revert to an image before Mar 30 and then make sure the Cyberlink App Manager is not running automatically. That will bring back and let you keep v2514.

If that's not an option, you can still use the Trim tool with these simple workarounds:

All sliders can be adjusted with frame-level accuracy, and numeric arrows and the preview FWD/BACK frame keys can be used to tweak the exact position if that's easier.

You can also type in the exact slider position from the main project's timeline counter, and the slider will be positioned there when you open the tool. You can click the mark in or mark out button right away (located above "can be set" in the above image).

Obviously this is more work than was needed before the update came out, but it's a straightforward way to keep going without waiting for a fix.

Thank you for your response. I know we're all users, that complaint was more directed at the mod. I'm trying a system restore now from a week ago (I just installed the update tonight).

One thing though, your comment about "you can also type" in the main project counter isn't quite right. I can't type in ANY counter, including that one. That's part of what's making this so frustrating. Yes, the up/down arrows work, and they'll do in a pinch, but like you said, it makes things far more annoying than it should be.

Again, thanks for the response. I guess I'll just hope for a patch soon, because I need to do a multi cut on a 1:45 chunk of footage, probably 8 clips worth, and I'm not sure I've got the patience to use the slider for that.

Hopefully, this system restore works.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote One thing though, your comment about "you can also type" in the main project counter isn't quite right. I can't type in ANY counter, including that one. That's part of what's making this so frustrating.

Hmm, I can type in numbers in every counter everywhere else: main timeline, all boxes in the PiP Designer, Mask Designer, Keyframe, Crop/Zoom/Pan... everywhere - just not in the Trim tool.

Are you not able to type in numbers anywhere? What about in any of the dozens of Fix/Enhance controls?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 29. 2019 00:37

YouTube/optodata

anthrax442 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hopefully, this system restore works.

So, this is a really strange one. As I said, I ran system restore to a point about a week ago, I think it was like April 20th or so. I didn't install the update until tonight, so I was hoping that would be enough.

The restore ran, and I logged back in and opened up PowerDirector, and lo and behold, I could type in the timecodes again! So, I went to check the version number to verify it had reverted...but it still says 17.3.2721.0

I don't really understand how it's working again if it's still the same version, I mean, I suppose it could be an issue with another update on the system, but it was working fine last week after the timestamp of the restore point.

Either way, I'm not complaining as I can get my video edited and uploaded now, but I think it's going to be awhile before I install anymore updates.

Thanks again to optodata for the idea to run System Restore!
anthrax442 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hmm, I can type in numbers in every counter everywhere else: main timeline, all boxes in the PiP Designer, Mask Designer, Keyframe, Crop/Zoom/Pan... everywhere - just not in the Trim tool.

Are you not able to type in numbers anywhere? What about in any of the dozens of Fix/Enhance controls?

Apologies, I think we were talking about different things here. I thought you were indicating that I should be able to type in the main time box INSIDE the trim tool.

Yeah, my experience was that nothing at all worked in the trim tool. Complete uninstall/reinstall, nothing helped. Fortunately/Unfortunately it's fixed now, so I can't test those other controls, but I think I just didn't understand your exactly meaning and you're probably correct in your other assumptions about what worked/didn't work.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Apologies, I think we were talking about different things here. I thought you were indicating that I should be able to type in the main time box INSIDE the trim tool.

Oh, that make perfect sense. I was a little unsure about adding that arrow to the time box inside the tool, and I only decided to do so to be consistent with pointing out which sliders controlled the other number boxes.

I'm happy to hear that things are working better for you, even if I can't explain why you're now able to type numbers in the Trim tool in v2721. That's definitely a win, though, so enjoy it

YouTube/optodata

LLOYD1985 [Avatar]
[Post New]
After speaking with Cyberlink support they supplied me with a hotfix that has fixed the issue I was having with the directional keys not working.

Wonderful to have the keys back, my hand was hurting from having to use the mouse.