Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
(Probably an) elementary question
TravisJ [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 12, 2019 21:02 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Considering purchasing PowerDirector 17 Ultimate, soon, but have a question:

I'm foreseeing editing videos that are going to be shot from iPhone(s), or Android Samsung Galaxy Note (8 and newer version(s) ) .

What's the process of importing those videos to a Desktop/Laptop/Tablet, or whatever, where I will have the ability to edit them in PowerDirector 17 Ultimate? With Androids (Samsung Galaxy Note , I can assume I'll just use a DropBox app on the phone, for instance, to share the video file(s) to my DropBox, and then be able to download them onto my Desktop/Laptop/Tablet where I will have PowerDirector 17 Ultimate installed, and access them that way..? What's the process of moving videos over from an iPhone to a Windows Device, such that I could do the same thing, to edit video(s) shot on an iPhone?

And really, the primary question that really undergirds all of this is the following: Should I be able to assume that PowerDirector 17 Ultimate will be able to Import/or Open these types of videos and allow me to fully edit them, within its workspace? That is, videos shot on an iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy Note (8+) ?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi TravisJ -

You could do it via DropBox if you want, but that's totally unnecessary.

All you need to do is connect your phone(s) to your PC using the appropriate USB cable, then navigate to your phones internal storage. Locate the videos & photos you want to use and transfer them to a folder on your PC.

It's the same process, whatever flavour the phone is.

One the media is on your PC, you can import it into PDR and edit away.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Tony has the best answer. If you have trouble getting your Windows device to recognize when your iPhone is plugged in, this article (or any of the many hundreds more out there) may help.

For your Android devices, you can also remove the microSD card and place it into a built-in or USB card reader on your editing system for the fastest possible transfer, but keeping it simple and using the USB port is the least complicated approach.

Yes, you will be able to edit the videos from these devices in PD, just like virtually everyone on this forum

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank y'all for the answers.

Yeah, I guess my main thing is that, these days, I'm decreasingly confident that "File Explorer" on Windows will allow me to see/Copy/Move (just overall *BROWSE*) smartphones that are plugged-in via USB, nowadays. Seems like storage-hardware has becoming increasingly blocked-off and not as easily searched/browsed/manipulated as it used to, when plugging in external storage devices.

And within that, yeah, I'm mostly concerned about being able to retrieve things from iPhone. I'll give those articles you mentioned here (https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-iphone-not-recognized-by-windows-10-or-itunes.html) a look-see.

God bless.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yeah, I guess my main thing is that, these days, I'm decreasingly confident that "File Explorer" on Windows will allow me to see/Copy/Move (just overall *BROWSE*) smartphones that are plugged-in via USB, nowadays. Seems like storage-hardware has becoming increasingly blocked-off and not as easily searched/browsed/manipulated as it used to, when plugging in external storage devices.

OK. I've never owned any i-anythings and while I remember having to use a "phone browser" to acces my earlier Nokia and Samsung phones, I've found that newer Windows and Android phones have been pretty easy to access/transfer/browse from Windows File Explorer. I do understand your concern, however.

As Tony said, your original approach would certainly work if you were unable to get a direct, local connection for any reason, and our suggestions are just trying to give you some better options to try first
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
For what it is worth:
For many years now I transfer all my photo's and video from my iPhones and iPads using Dropbox.
On these devices I have set Dropbox to not work in the background and only when on Wifi, so that I have control over if and when the material is transfered, by opening the Dropbox app and let it find the recent, not transfered files.
Once "behind" Windows, dropbox is synced automatically and I move the material to the correct folders.
This always works best for me, also because I can send and pickup the files when conveniant for me while using the devices and the windows machine.
On very, very limited occassions I connect a device to Windows for transfer, that is when I am in a real hurry and dont want to wait for the upload (downloading is usually much faster), or when there are really large files (and I dont want to wait.....)
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
(Same, I've never used "i" anything either—and not to spark a debate [let's leave that to proper social media ]—I like it better that way [not-using "i-anything"] . )

Thanks, y'all; that makes a lot sense. Perhaps I'll sort of make it my strategy that:

1) to get video from Android devices hook up to Windows via USB, navigate file-explorer, drag'n'drop;

2) to get video from i-stuff download Dropbox app on it, log-in, upload to a directory; then log-in to Dropbox from my primary computer, download files

Thanks for talkin me through this~ I'm probably gonna be back in the near future to ask other elementary questions, when I'm in the trenches, editing. It's not like I wanna do super-extravagant stuff, but knowing me, I'm probably gonna have questions like, "Where's this-and-that tool?" , or, "Which process do you recommend for my trying to do this-and-that on this video I shot?"

God bless.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 15. 2019 13:34

TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
So I got my download page and downloaded all 13 .EXE files for Power Director 17 Ultimate, for my Windows 10 machine.

Is there a certain order to which i need to run the install(s) of these 13 .EXE files?

Also, does a difference of a 32-bit or 64-bit machine come in anywhere, such that I need to do anything differently, or be prepared to answer a question regarding it, or anything..?
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So I got my download page and downloaded all 13 .EXE files for Power Director 17 Ultimate, for my Windows 10 machine.

Is there a certain order to which i need to run the install(s) of these 13 .EXE files?

Also, does a difference of a 32-bit or 64-bit machine come in anywhere, such that I need to do anything differently, or be prepared to answer a question regarding it, or anything..?

I would install the software in the order in which the .EXE files for download where mentioned. But: starting with PowerDirector itself and that the rest. Sometimes the names of the files indicate some sort of order, essential, pack 1 2 3 etc. Adorage and Vitasacene may be looking for PD during the installation, so you do these later than PD itself.

If you have a 64-bit Windows installation, then obviously install the 64-bit versions. For some software 32-bit versions has been made available too. It may be that some situations the (only) the 32-bit versions work. It is unclear in which situations that is. I would recommend to install these along with the 64-bit versions. That is what I did. You may also leave them until some function apparently does not work.

I case you have a 32-bit machine, and/or a 32-bit windows installation, it make sense to only install the 32-bit versions.

You will be asked for the product key, so keep these at hand. You may also be asked to do an online registration. Would recommand to to this too, if only to have access to updates and add on packs etc. etc.
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Warry.

I shut down my computer yesterday after downloading each of the .EXE files, and now, I have gone back to the e-mail I received and hit the "Download" button to be taken back to the download center to see the order they were laid out so I can follow your advice to install them in order that they are listed on that page, but it's not liking my login..? Shouldn't the log-in to the Download center be the same that I use to get int othese forums, or no..? Because I do not recall creating any sort of *other* ID when I actually completed the purchase yesterday.
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks, Warry.

I shut down my computer yesterday after downloading each of the .EXE files, and now, I have gone back to the e-mail I received and hit the "Download" button to be taken back to the download center to see the order they were laid out so I can follow your advice to install them in order that they are listed on that page, but it's not liking my login..? Shouldn't the log-in to the Download center be the same that I use to get int othese forums, or no..? Because I do not recall creating any sort of *other* ID when I actually completed the purchase yesterday.

Please check your order confirmation, somewhere below the download list there are account and order informtion including the username and password. I justed tested that and it works for me, although the email is about 9 months old and no download are available for me. (That is why I have kept an copy of the download files savely on my local disks.)
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Got it, thanks.

So I got them all installed, except this final file is a .zip file called

Bonus_BackgroundMusicTracks.zip

And it holds a directory called

Bonus_BackgroundMusicTracks

that holds a bunch of .WAV files.

Where should I put this

directory, exactly?
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Got it, thanks.

So I got them all installed, except this final file is a .zip file called

Bonus_BackgroundMusicTracks.zip

And it holds a directory called

that holds a bunch of .WAV files.

Where should I put this

directory, exactly?

You can save / store it anywhere you want. I think that you would prefer to unzip the files and put them in a folder such that you really can find them back when after a (very long) time you may be looking for them. Where did I put them and how was this called again.......
You can either put them in your music folder with the above name, or in a Cyberlink folder, or in Powerdirector resources folder. whatever suits your needs.
Have fun!

Warry