Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Broken fonts in title designer
[Post New]
Hi, directors!

I've come back to PowerDirector after a while away, and I noticed that some of my installed fonts were no longer appearing correctly. They appeared as blank in the font list in the title editor, though hovering over them for a second still gave them the correct tooltip... selecting them just gave the text a default sans-serif styled font.

I upgraded to the 365 version to see if that solved it, but it has the same problem - just that the broken fonts are now in the list in a very retro Windows 3.1 System font instead. The same fonts work in other applications such as Paint.NET.

Is this something to do with how the fonts are installed? I recently upgraded to Windows 10, which I suspect is the problem.

Thanks for any advice!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You might have a look at the font type, several *.otf (Open Type Fonts) have caused some issue while *.ttf (TrueType Fonts) have been less problematic. If that happens to be the cause, one can often convert, otf2ttf.

Jeff
[Post New]
Hmm, good thought! The font was TTF already, but on a whim I converted it to OTF and reinstalled it. The result is that while it still shows as "broken" in the dropdown (with the default Windows System font), it displays correctly in the title! So that's a good workaround, thanks.

Would still be interested to know if there's a way to get around this - I can't be certain, but I think that the problem started when I moved (I hesitate to use the word "upgraded") from Windows 7 to 10.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hmm, good thought! The font was TTF already, but on a whim I converted it to OTF and reinstalled it. The result is that while it still shows as "broken" in the dropdown (with the default Windows System font), it displays correctly in the title! So that's a good workaround, thanks.

Would still be interested to know if there's a way to get around this - I can't be certain, but I think that the problem started when I moved (I hesitate to use the word "upgraded") from Windows 7 to 10.

You can try creating a new user account in Win10. If the font problem is still there, it would seem to be fundamental and related to something that happened ton Win10 when you upgraded your system.

If the new user account solves the problem, then it was likely related to the upgrade of your existing account. It's pretty straightforward to import most of your custom settings, and there are plenty of online resources to help if that ends up being the case for you.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David -

Odd problem, especially when the fonts display correctly in other applications' dropdowns. My first thought was Jeff's .otf/.ttf suggestion.

Have you tried simply reinstalling the fonts that have the issue in PDR? That may (perhaps) fix it. Continuum is attached if you care to test it.

""

Two of my PCs here have been through the Win 7 > Win 10 upgrade and neither of them has the issue in PDR.

That "retro Windows 3.1" font looks like "Chicago" which was a standard font with the earliest Macs.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
continuum.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
205 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!