Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Converting mono audio into stereo
cotsy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2018 12:21 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
I have a mono audio track and want to make it stereo.

Thanks
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
If you mean TRUE stereo, that's not possible. Stereo is two separately-recorded audio sources.

Or do you mean you just want to spread, say, audio from the left channel over both channels?
cotsy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you mean TRUE stereo, that's not possible. Stereo is two separately-recorded audio sources.

Or do you mean you just want to spread, say, audio from the left channel over both channels?

I just need to copy one mono channel to the other to have 2 channel mono.

Thanks
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can accomplish this with AudioDirector. If you have an earlier version of PD then you can accomlish this with WaveEditor too.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
What you're looking for is the opposite of what the OP was trying to do in another thread (split stereo into two separate clips), but the steps are very simliar, just going the other way. Here's a post from that thread with a video showing the basic steps.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a mono audio track and want to make it stereo.

Thanks

Another option that may work for you is to use the "TrueTheater Surround" feature within the produce tab or create disc tab which will render a left or right audio only to both left and right channels. You can use like the living room setting.

Jeff
cotsy [Avatar]
[Post New]

Another option that may work for you is to use the "TrueTheater Surround" feature within the produce tab or create disc tab which will render a left or right audio only to both left and right channels. You can use like the living room setting.

Jeff

Thanks all, but it seems in PD 17 with audio editor, you can't select a channel of audio and copy it? Is this correct? If so, is PD17 audio editing features less that past versions?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks all, but it seems in PD 17 with audio editor, you can't select a channel of audio and copy it? Is this correct? If so, is PD17 audio editing features less that past versions?

You're right - my video (and suggestion) was based on using AudiorDirector, but if you only have PD17's built in Audio Editor, you can't do this task.

I used AD to create a right-channel-only clip and the tried JL_JL's suggestion of using surround sound. It does create audio on the missing channel, but in my test clip it was much lower in volume. Here's the original clip with the left channel audio deleted:

And this is what TrueTheater Surround (Living Room) gave me:

You'd probably get better results from a free 3rd party app like Audacity. It's well supported and pretty easy to use.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The top right of Audio Editor has the buttons for single and multichannel instead of single and stereo as in WaveEditor. The response I got on a support ticket is that it was never meant for multichannel like 5.1 and 7.1. They duplicated the issue and my support ticket was closed without any further explanation.

When I clicked the button for single channel, highlight one of the channels. Select Volume/Dynamic Range Compression -30db. The waveform disappears on both channels instead of only the highlighted channel. This makes no sense. Maybe the OP should write a support ticket as the single and multichannel buttons are of no use here in Audio Editor.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2019 20:07

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I used AD to create a right-channel-only clip and the tried JL_JL's suggestion of using surround sound. It does create audio on the missing channel, but in my test clip it was much lower in volume.

Scrap my approach then, that's not a desired outcome. Sorry for the mislead cotsy.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
Quote When I clicked the button for single channel, highlight one of the channels. Select Volume/Dynamic Range Compression -30db. The waveform disappears on both channels instead of only the highlighted channel. This makes no sense. Maybe the OP should write a support ticket as the single and multichannel buttons are of no use here in Audio Editor.

Interesting. I used the Skateboard sample clip for my test, and both Dynamic Range Compression and Equalizer work on a single channel. Both also work correctly on the original stereo clip and the produced one with TrueTheater (2ch PCM, not 5.1):

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is interesting Optodata. I actually tried that on the Skateboard sample clip before my reply to Cotsy. Maybe my installation is defective.

I did find a cell phone mp4 clip later that had a mono instead of a stereo audio. Produced it to mp4 with aac audio and get the same sound from both L and R speakers. Mediainfo reported mono on the original and stereo on the produced clip. This means a user don’t need to do anything beforehand to get produced 2 channel mono from a single channel mono.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 07. 2019 20:09

optodata
[Post New]
Quote That is interesting Optodata. I actually tried that on the Skateboard sample clip before my reply to Cotsy. Maybe my installation is defective.

I did find a cell phone mp4 clip later that had a mono instead of a stereo audio. Produced it to mp4 with aac audio and get the same sound from both L and R speakers. Mediainfo reported mono on the original and stereo on the produced clip. This means a user don’t need to do anything to get produced 2 channel mono from a single channel mono.

If the phone clip had true monaural sound (and not my fake mono, aka stereo with a silent channel) I think PD would "know" that it should duplicate the audio track on both stereo channels. If cotsy's clip is like your phone clip, then maybe the problem can be solved just by producing it.

I just produced the Skateboard clip to MP4 after deleting the L side and PD didn't fill it in. MediaInfo reports it as 2 channel audio, because it is from a codec standpoint, even though the left side is completely silent (clip is attached, too).

Cotsy, could you attach a sample clip? If it's bigger than about 4MB, you can upload it to a cloud folder and paste the link here.

YouTube/optodata

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Screen recording capture of Audio Editor applying changes to both channel when single channel is selected. Same result after I select a range on a channel. Maybe something else need to be done.
 Filename
20190307212543.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Single channel selected both channel affected.
 Filesize
4085 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
295 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Screen recording capture of Audio Editor applying changes to both channel when single channel is selected. Same result after I select a range on a channel. Maybe something else need to be done.

Thanks for the screen capture. Believe it or not, the key is that you also have to select (click on) one of the two channels. You only clicked on the Single Channel mode button.

That should do it!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 07. 2019 23:29

YouTube/optodata

cotsy [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for the screen capture. Believe it or not, the key is that you also have to select (click on) one of the two channels. You only clicked on the Single Channel mode button.

That should do it!

Very much appreciate all the help. Not sure where we're at. I have attached a small sample file as an example.
 Filename
STE-004 38 second replacement.mp3
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1093 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
290 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
At 14 seconds in the screen recording the top (left) channel was clicked and the cursor jumped to the right. I then moved the scrubber back to the left (home) before proceeding. Cannot apply the results to only one channel.

Thank you for the audio mp3. The STE-004 38 second replacement.mp3 is already in stereo as shown by Mediainfo. No other work needs to be done to make it stereo. The volume on the left channel is higher. See the attached text file.
 Filename
STE-004 38 second replacement.txt
[Disk]
 Description
This file is already in stereo.
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
255 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Quote At 14 seconds in the screen recording the top (left) channel was clicked and the cursor jumped to the right. I then moved the scrubber back to the left (home) before proceeding. Cannot apply the results to only one channel.

I'm not sure why there's such a difference in behavior with the same clip on our two systems. Here's a more detailed video showing all the steps I used to change each channel separately:

YouTube/optodata

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
All problems solved. Give me a few minutes to type and show my findings.
optodata
[Post New]
(NOTE: I posted this before my 14:49 response, but it disappeared for some reason)

Quote Thank you for the audio mp3. The STE-004 38 second replacement.mp3 is already in stereo as shown by Mediainfo. No other work needs to be done to make it stereo. The volume on the left channel is higher. See the attached text file.

Yes, the original clip was recorded in stereo, but there is no audio signal at all on the right channel. I think the mic plug and the recorder jack were mismatched as only on the left side was active. Often a mono mic plug will automatically supply the audio to both channels, but that didn't happen here:

I have converted the clip to have identical audio on both channels in AudioDirector, and you can download the .WAV file from this OneDrive folder (It's 8MB, which is too big for a forum attachment).

YouTube/optodata