Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HELP! PowerDirector 17 just crashed and deleted BOTH my saved backup files!
cjnewson88 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2019 18:33 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
So I've been using PowerDirector 17, which has a habit of hanging up and crashing often because Im editing a very long 3 hour video.

So I make sure I save every couple of minutes. A couple of times it crashed and restored the previous sessions, and so I saved these as backups.

However today, just as I was about to finished my project, I went to go save it, and it asked me what file name. I was a little perplexed because I didn't click 'Save As', so went back, click Save, and again it asked me what file name...

So I decided to make another back up.

So I named it 'backup 3' and clicked save. The program then crashed. Both backup 3 and backup 2 files are gone. And when I restarted the program, it didn't give me the option to restore a previous session.

What can I do? Is there any way to get my saved projects back?

Please Help!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15. 2019 18:39

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It looks like that your project did not save at all the last two times. Go to the autosave and open the last one. The location is designated in a hidden folder browse in Preferences/Project. After you open the correct project then you need to name it and save it back in your normal project location and not in that hidden location as it is a limited FIFO.
cjnewson88 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It looks like that your project did not save at all the last two times. Go to the autosave and open the last one. The location is designated in a hidden folder browse in Preferences/Project. After you open the correct project then you need to name it and save it back in your normal project location and not in that hidden location as it is a limited FIFO.

Hi, where is the Preferences/Projects folder?

My backup2 definitely did save because that is the one I've been accessing for the last 2 days to work on this.

It only disappeared when I went to create 'backup 3'
cjnewson88 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok I found it! There's an autosave here which has almost everything done that I was up to!

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

I have literally been working on this video for 5 days lol

Thank You!

For future refernce for anyone else, the auto-saves are

C:/Users/(your username)/AppData/Roaming/Cyberlink/Powerdirector/17.0/Cache/AutoSave
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote For future refernce for anyone else, the auto-saves are

C:/Users/(your username)/AppData/Roaming/Cyberlink/Powerdirector/17.0/Cache/AutoSave

I'm glad you were able to recover most of your previous work. You can change the auto save folder to someplace that's easier to find, maybe even on another drive so the projects won't be lost if you ever have a C: drive crash of have to reinstall Windows.