Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Simple (maybe even silly) question - setting in and out points.
dbroo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2019 16:14 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Can I set an in and out on the raw video before inserting it into the timeline. It seems that I have to drag the entire clip first and then trim or split. I'm used to editing programs where you set an in and out and then simply insert into the spot you want it to go. Am I missing something on Cyberlink Powerdirector?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2019 16:27

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Can I set an in and out on the raw video before inserting it into the timeline. It seems that I have to drag the entire clip first and then trim or split.

That's often the easiest and most convenient method. As such, one often uses another video track as kind of a staging area to trim. With the video in the library, one can use right mouse click and then the "Edit Using Content Aware Editing...", it will detect some scene but you can ignore and use or own mark in/out selections and then they will be added to timeline at current scrubber location when you activated the clip in the library.

Jeff
Hankster65
Newbie Location: Kettering, OH Joined: Dec 04, 2018 09:19 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Can I set an in and out on the raw video before inserting it into the timeline. It seems that I have to drag the entire clip first and then trim or split. I'm used to editing programs where you set an in and out and then simply insert into the spot you want it to go. Am I missing something on Cyberlink Powerdirector?

This isn't quite what you asked about as this deals with trimming the clip after it has been moved to the timeline, still I think you might find this tutorial helpful:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2019 18:05

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The latest Powerdirector, 17, has just that new function called "Precut", it even meshes well with trim and multi-trim and returns a simply cut video file or files to your library. To be clear, they are not actually files, just precut representations. Very cool.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2019 18:32

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
dbroo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2019 16:14 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
It's just that the video source is two hours long and it would be so much easier just to clip something and insert rather than insert it and then clip. I'm new to powerdirector, and while I like it overall, this is the way nearly every other video editing program works. I guess I'll just adapt.
Hankster65
Newbie Location: Kettering, OH Joined: Dec 04, 2018 09:19 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The latest Powerdirector, 17, has just that new function called "Precut", it even meshes well with trim and multi-trim and returns a simply cut video file or files to your library. To be clear, they are not actually files, just precut representations. Very cool.

Wow, I learn something new every time I come here. I had never noticed the precut option. Thank you Barry the Crab (love that handle!) for mentioning it. If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hankster65
It doesn't help the OP much, he has PD16. Honestly when I first saw the function I didn't think much of it, but it has been a good improvment in my editing flow.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2019 20:12

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Barry is a wealth of great information.

Thanks for highlighting one of my tutorials.

Here is a tutuorial that deals with one dimenson of the new pre-cut tool.

--Jim