Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Delete section in multicam
cotsy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2018 12:21 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
How can I delete a section of a multicam recording after it has been created. I want to do this in mulicam.

thanks
dave
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How can I delete a section of a multicam recording after it has been created. I want to do this in mulicam.

I don't think you can actually delete any recorded sections if you go back in to the MC Designer. You can click on the output track and switch cameras, drag each starting and ending edge forward or backward, add a split, or re-record over any section, but you can't delete anything you've already recorded.

This post has the details on re-entering the MC Designer if you've unfamiliar with how to do that.

You can delete any unwanted sections of the MC clip directly on the main timeline, but be aware that if you decide to go back into the MC Designer for any reason, the main timeline edits will disappear and your original MC edits will be restored.
cotsy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2018 12:21 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]

I don't think you can actually delete any recorded sections if you go back in to the MC Designer. You can click on the output track and switch cameras, drag each starting and ending edge forward or backward, add a split, or re-record over any section, but you can't delete anything you've already recorded.

This post has the details on re-entering the MC Designer if you've unfamiliar with how to do that.

You can delete any unwanted sections of the MC clip directly on the main timeline, but be aware that if you decide to go back into the MC Designer for any reason, the main timeline edits will disappear and your original MC edits will be restored.

I am a new user and created a multicam video, but need to delete a section. I can't do it in multicam and I can't do it in the main timeline without losing the multicam editing capability. This is a major limitation. I think I need to look for other editors that have this capability. Also, I wanted to use different audio for different parts of the multicam sections and could not figure out how to do this.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am a new user and created a multicam video, but need to delete a section. I can't do it in multicam and I can't do it in the main timeline without losing the multicam editing capability. This is a major limitation. I think I need to look for other editors that have this capability. Also, I wanted to use different audio for different parts of the multicam sections and could not figure out how to do this.

The MultiCam toool offers a simple way to work with up to 4 tracks at once with a single audio track. It's meant to simplify those tasks, but it's always seemed to me to be meant mostly for projects that are kind of One and Done. You can just as easily do everything the MCD does on the main timeline without any of its limitations, like being limited to only 4 tracks and a single audio stream.

After thinking about this more, there is a way to remove a section of the MC clip while still retaining the ability to do more MCD edits, you'll just have to change your workflow a bit. Knowing that you're eventually going to remove a section, you can keep it intact while you work on all of the other MC edits, and once you're done with all of those, you can delete the unwanted section from the main timeline.

You can also delete that unwanted section anytime you want to preview the whole project, just remember that it will come back if you do more MC editing. I know that's a little inconvenient, but I don't think it's a show stopper.

In all honesty, though, it's easier to simply work with the clips on the main timeline since you have many more choices than when using the MCD. You did the initial syncing (which can also be done on the main timeline, btw), and you can make any timing adjustments as needed without ever going back to the MCD.

About the only thing that's easier in the MCD is simply switching cameras, so maybe make sure you have those set before pivoting to the main timeline. If you decide to switch cameras after making a bunch of main timeline edits, just copy a nearby clip from that cam and place it on the track below the original so they're both in sync. Then drag the start and end points of the copied clip to match the section from the other cam you want to replace, and then drag the new clip onto the old one to replace it.

That same approach would also let you swap in or add other audio tracks while keeping everything else in sync.