Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to replace video clip in template?
zephyra [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 06, 2019 15:01 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I am using PowerDirector 14 Ultra v14.0.2820.0

I've created a template project that I plan to reuse several times. It consists of two video clips to which I've applied transitions, movements, keyframes, etc.

How do I replace a video clip with another while maintaining all of the properties I've already applied? Basically, I want to keep everything in the project exactly as it is, but change the source video files for the two clips.

Is this possible? Or do I need to manually recreate all the properties each time I need to use a different video? That sounds like a nightmare to make sure all the timing and such is the same.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2019 15:08

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How do I replace a video clip with another while maintaining all of the properties I've already applied? Basically, I want to keep everything in the project exactly as it is, but change the source video files for the two clips.
Two ways come to mind.

If you import the new clip(s) into the media library, you can drag one onto one of your existing clips on the timeline and choose Replace. That does exactly what it sounds like - replaces the underlying clip with the new one but it keeps all of the existing edits in place.

Another option is to right-click on the existing clip and choose Copy Keyframe Attributes, then place the new clip on the timeline, right-click and choose Paste Keyframe Attributes. There are only a few settings that won't get carried over, like masks and chroma keying, but pretty much everything else including color changes, pans, zooms and FX will be applied.

Note that each of these will apply everything based on the starting point of the existing clip, so things like motion effects will stop at the point where the original clip ends if the new clip is longer, or they won't finish if the new clip is shorter.
zephyra [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 06, 2019 15:01 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Two ways come to mind.

If you import the new clip(s) into the media library, you can drag one onto one of your existing clips on the timeline and choose Replace. That does exactly what it sounds like - replaces the underlying clip with the new one but it keeps all of the existing edits in place.

Another option is to right-click on the existing clip and choose Copy Keyframe Attributes, then place the new clip on the timeline, right-click and choose Paste Keyframe Attributes. There are only a few settings that won't get carried over, like masks and chroma keying, but pretty much everything else including color changes, pans, zooms and FX will be applied.

Note that each of these will apply everything based on the starting point of the existing clip, so things like motion effects will stop at the point where the original clip ends if the new clip is longer, or they won't finish if the new clip is shorter.