Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to place text in a screen shot
John7171 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 21, 2009 06:24 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I have a pretty simple video. I would like to label some of the scenes with arrows, callouts, etc. and then put that screenshot into the video and have it play for a few seconds.
I'm not sure how to do that in PowerDirector 17.
Right now, the only idea I can come up with is to take a snapshot and perhaps use Snagit to copy it, put in the callouts, labels, arrows, etc and then try to put it in the timeline and expand it to run for an appropriate amount of time.
If there is any better way, I'd greatly appreciate some advice.
Many thanks
Jack
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
You can certainly use graphics on upper video tracks and use them to overlay your video -- assuming the graphics are saved as transparent PNG files.

Just now that each graphic will be layered onto another video track so, if you've got half a dozen graphics to overlay onto your video, you're going to have to use that many separate tracks in addition to the track where you've placed your video.

So I guess much depends on how knowledgeable you are on graphic formats (like transparent PNGs) and if you either have these graphics available you have the software than can create them.

Also, how well you understand how to use video tracks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13. 2019 13:42

John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You can certainly use graphics on upper video tracks and use them to overlay your video -- assuming the graphics are saved as transparent PNG files.

Just now that each graphic will be layered onto another video track so, if you've got half a dozen graphics to overlay onto your video, you're going to have to use that many separate tracks in addition to the track where you've placed your video.

So I guess much depends on how knowledgeable you are on graphic formats (like transparent PNGs) and if you either have these graphics available you have the software than can create them.

Also, how well you understand how to use video tracks.

Steven,
Well, I will probably flunk on both areas. I am not real facile about using video tracks (yet), and I don't know what a transparent .png file is.
My thought was just to split the video on the time line, leaving the space open, and insert the image there
I will go to work on it!
Many thanks for the reply,
Jack
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a pretty simple video. I would like to label some of the scenes with arrows, callouts, etc. and then put that screenshot into the video and have it play for a few seconds.
I'm not sure how to do that in PowerDirector 17.
Right now, the only idea I can come up with is to take a snapshot and perhaps use Snagit to copy it, put in the callouts, labels, arrows, etc and then try to put it in the timeline and expand it to run for an appropriate amount of time.
If there is any better way, I'd greatly appreciate some advice.
Many thanks
Jack

Adding on to what StevenG just posted, it sounds like you might benefit from watching a tutorial or two on the basics of using PD. There are many to choose from Cyberlink's Learning Center or by searching here on the forum or on YouTube.

As mentioned, you can simply place your title box(es) on a track(s) below the video and type in whatever you want to say. Depending on which version of PD17 you have, you can download the Tutorial Creation Pack or go to DirectorZone to find arrows, highlight boxes, etc. that you'd like to use. Some are also built-in and are available in the PiP Objects room (press the F5 key to get there).

You can display those overlaid on a running video, or you can go with your idea and take a screenshoot using the camera tool. Next, place that on the timeline so the viewer will see the video pause at that point, and your text and arrows, etc will show up overlaid on it. No need to use any 3rd party apps for this.

The attached screenshot shows green text and an arrow shown previewed from my project video, with the yellow text and arrows pointing out which is which.
[Thumb - screenshot text and arrows.jpg]
 Filename
screenshot text and arrows.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
187 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Adding on to what StevenG just posted, it sounds like you might benefit from watching a tutorial or two on the basics of using PD. There are many to choose from Cyberlink's Learning Center or by searching here on the forum or on YouTube.

As mentioned, you can simply place your title box(es) on a track(s) below the video and type in whatever you want to say. Depending on which version of PD17 you have, you can download the Tutorial Creation Pack or go to DirectorZone to find arrows, highlight boxes, etc. that you'd like to use. Some are also built-in and are available in the PiP Objects room (press the F5 key to get there).

You can display those overlaid on a running video, or you can go with your idea and take a screenshoot using the camera tool. Next, place that on the timeline so the viewer will see the video pause at that point, and your text and arrows, etc will show up overlaid on it. No need to use any 3rd party apps for this.

The attached screenshot shows green text and an arrow shown previewed from my project video, with the yellow text and arrows pointing out which is which.

Great ideas! I will go to work on practicing these suggestions. Nice to know I can do it all from within PowerDirector 17 Ultimate.
Jack
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can't see the screenshot. Will work on that.
Jack
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I can't see the screenshot. Will work on that.
Jack

Now I found the screenshot and downloaded. Will require some study.
Thanks again
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Here is a link on using some of the elements in the tutorial creator pack. You may find it useful

There are lots of other tutorials in this clickable PDF as well.

--Jim
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Here is a link on using some of the elements in the tutorial creator pack. You may find it useful

There are lots of other tutorials in this clickable PDF as well.

--Jim

Thanks Jim.
I spent most of yesterday with tutorials. Most of the "beginners" tutorials covered too much ground. All I really needed initially was how to work with the video on the timeline, splitting, deleting sections etc. and paring it down to the stuff you really want to show.

I had an older program which was much simpler. Everything went on the same timeline ... video, stills, titles, etc. You could then work on all of the "scenes" individually and edit them.
But PD 17 is much more complicated. I will try to get familiar with the advanced features.

But now that I have the basics down fairly well, I am able to branch out and try some other techniques.
I will work on the information you provided.
Much appreciated.
Jack
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Jack,

Let me know if you encounter an issue and I'll do my best to help. My philsophy is that with complicated software we can learn hit best one small piece at a time. That was the genesis of "Sharper Turtle". Welcome to this learning community. You'll find lots of encouragement here!

--Jim
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Jack,

Let me know if you encounter an issue and I'll do my best to help. My philsophy is that with complicated software we can learn hit best one small piece at a time. That was the genesis of "Sharper Turtle". Welcome to this learning community. You'll find lots of encouragement here!

--Jim

Thanks Jim:
I have the pdf with all of the Sharper Turtle links and am starting to open then now.
I'll get there!
Jack