Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Looking for a transition like "film clip", but without the film stuff
PaulZ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2015 17:33 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

This should hopefully be an easy question. I'm creating a video out of still images (with voice-over), and I want the images to just "pan" along as I talk. Like a camera panning over a wall of stills. So, I want a transition LIKE "film clip", but without all the "film" framing.

Surely, this must be quite common. Is there a transition for this, or is there some other way to do it without transitions?

Thanks so much!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Try "slide" transition. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
PaulZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Try "slide" transition.

Thanks for responding! I tried that, and edited the direction to "Left". It basically wipes with black from right to left, then the new image appears "whole" when the first one is all black. Not what I'm looking for. I want it to slide from one image to the next - no black in between.

Thanks!
Paul
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You can do it with keyframes in the PiP Designer.

The beginning and end clips will be different, but all the middle ones would start with the content all the way to one side and then finish off at the opposite side. Once you've created the first clip like that, right-click on it and use Copy Keyframe Attributes then apply it to all the other "middle" clips with Paste Keyframe Attributes.

You'll just need to stagger them on alternating tracks, because there will always be part of another clip in the frame except at the actual frame transition.

Also, the clips will all "scroll" at exactly the same speed, and you can easily convert a middle clip to the start or end piece by changing one keyframe in each.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2019 23:30

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Also, Barry's suggestions does work, but you neeed to choose the separate Slide Left or Slide Right transitions to get the right effect. Slide can be set to slide left or right, bu it uses a different effect.

The downside is that there is an acceleration/deceleration and it may not be as smooth as panning along a wall, so keyframes still look like the best way to get that effect.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The shove left transition is what you are looking for. It is like the film clip transition without any black framing.
Hankster65
Newbie Location: Kettering, OH Joined: Dec 04, 2018 09:19 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You can do it with keyframes in the PiP Designer.

The beginning and end clips will be different, but all the middle ones would start with the content all the way to one side and then finish off at the opposite side. Once you've created the first clip like that, right-click on it and use Copy Keyframe Attributes then apply it to all the other "middle" clips with Paste Keyframe Attributes.

You'll just need to stagger them on alternating tracks, because there will always be part of another clip in the frame except at the actual frame transition.

Also, the clips will all "scroll" at exactly the same speed, and you can easily convert a middle clip to the start or end piece by changing one keyframe in each.

Brilliant! Once I figured out just how to stagger the clips this worked beautifully. I've no need for it at present but it's now in my arsenal for possible future use. Amazing how much can be learned on this forum. If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Brilliant! Once I figured out just how to stagger the clips this worked beautifully. I've no need for it at present but it's now in my arsenal for possible future use. Amazing how much can be learned on this forum.

Glad to hear it works! I thought it through in my head but didn't have a chance to actually test it out before I posted.

Could you post a screenshot of how you arranged the clips? That will make it easier for other editors who might want to use this technique cool

YouTube/optodata

Hankster65
[Post New]

Glad to hear it works! I thought it through in my head but didn't have a chance to actually test it out before I posted.

Could you post a screenshot of how you arranged the clips? That will make it easier for other editors who might want to use this technique cool

Here's a screen shot. Each clip has three keyframes: First keyframe is the image being totally out of frame just to the right of the frame, second keyframe is the image perfectly aligned in the frame, third key frame is the image being just out of the frame to the left. Keyframes occur at beginning, middle, and end of each clip.
[Thumb - Photo scanJPG.JPG]
 Filename
Photo scanJPG.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2019 21:11

If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Here's a screen shot. Each clip has three keyframes: First keyframe is the image being totally out of frame just to the right of the frame, second keyframe is the image perfectly aligned in the frame, third key frame is the image being just out of the frame to the left. Keyframes occur at beginning, middle, and end of each clip.

Nice work, and thanks for sharing this! You actually don't even need the middle keyframe, just one at each end

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2019 21:25

YouTube/optodata

Hankster65
[Post New]

Nice work, and thanks for sharing this! You actually don't even need the middle keyframe, just one at each end

Palm slap to head! You're absolutely right. LOL If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
PaulZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Original poster just checking back in:

Thanks to all who responded!

The whole PiP/keypoints thing is new to me, so it's taking some time to figure it all out (anybody got a recommendation on which tutorial to watch?).

The slide and shove transitions have also produced some "odd" behavior that I intend to ask about once I've nailed it down.

Just wanted to let you all know I appreciate your help, and I didn't flake on you. I just need a little time to figure out what you're all talking about!

Thanks,
Paul Zimmer
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thanks to all who responded!

The whole PiP/keypoints thing is new to me, so it's taking some time to figure it all out (anybody got a recommendation on which tutorial to watch?).

Sure thing!

Everyone's learning style is different, so a quick search of the forum will give you lots of posts on keyframes and tutorials, There are several members who have dedicated YouTube channels for PD, like PDToots, and even the main Cyberlink webpage has a Learning Center with dozens of tutorials.

Hopefully you'll find a tutorial or even a channel that matches your learning style. You can also post back here with any questions.

YouTube/optodata

Hankster65
[Post New]
Quote Original poster just checking back in:

Thanks to all who responded!

The slide and shove transitions have also produced some "odd" behavior that I intend to ask about once I've nailed it down.

Just wanted to let you all know I appreciate your help, and I didn't flake on you. I just need a little time to figure out what you're all talking about!

Thanks,
Paul Zimmer

Hi, Paul, in addition to the excellent resources OptoData mentioned, this newbie has received lots of help from the YouTube channel, "The Sharper Turtle." He has quite a few on key framing. Here's one:

ABC's of Key Framing If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
PaulZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Also, Barry's suggestions does work, but you neeed to choose the separate Slide Left or Slide Right transitions to get the right effect. Slide can be set to slide left or right, bu it uses a different effect.

The downside is that there is an acceleration/deceleration and it may not be as smooth as panning along a wall, so keyframes still look like the best way to get that effect.

Where would I find Slide Left and Slide Right. I don't see these among my choices on PD 14.

Thanks!
Paul
optodata
[Post New]
Where would I find Slide Left and Slide Right. I don't see these among my choices on PD 14.

Thanks!
Paul

Oh that's my mistake Those transitions were added recently and PD14 won't have them.

YouTube/optodata

PaulZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
I got the keyframe thing to work! Thanks, optodata! And thanks to Hankster65 for trying it out. His screenshot was very helpful in getting me pointed in the right direction.

Something odd happened when I was working with the transitions. I somehow ended up with two clips on top of each other, in the same "row" (timeline, or whatever the name is). If you click on one, you can see it extends beyond the other, and vice-versa.

Sort of like this (but all on the same row):

-------------------------------------------------------------+
| -------------------------------------------------------|----- |
| |
__________________________________________________________ |

How did that happen? I've tried all sorts of ways to create it, but can't reproduce the effect.

It's the only place where the transition effect worked (shove). Anyplace else I put shove, it just slides in a black screen.

Thanks,
Paul
Hankster65
[Post New]
Quote I got the keyframe thing to work! Thanks, optodata! And thanks to Hankster65 for trying it out. His screenshot was very helpful in getting me pointed in the right direction.

Something odd happened when I was working with the transitions. I somehow ended up with two clips on top of each other, in the same "row" (timeline, or whatever the name is). If you click on one, you can see it extends beyond the other, and vice-versa.

Sort of like this (but all on the same row):

-------------------------------------------------------------+
| -------------------------------------------------------|----- |
| |
__________________________________________________________ |

How did that happen? I've tried all sorts of ways to create it, but can't reproduce the effect.

It's the only place where the transition effect worked (shove). Anyplace else I put shove, it just slides in a black screen.

Thanks,
Paul

Big congrats on getting it to work! Keyframes were immensely confusing to me at first (still are at times) but I'm learning more and more just how powerful and vital they are.

As far as having two clips overlaid on the same track I haven't a clue. I'm pretty sure one of the wise ones here will have an idea on it, though. If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Something odd happened when I was working with the transitions. I somehow ended up with two clips on top of each other, in the same "row" (timeline, or whatever the name is). If you click on one, you can see it extends beyond the other, and vice-versa.

Sounds like you might have used an overlapping transition where at least one clip was only a little longer than the transition itself, like applying a 1 second transition where one of the clips was only 1.5 seconds long.

Regardless of what happened, you should be able to click elsewhere on the timeline to deselect the clips, then click directly on the transition and delete it. The two clips should become separate again. Here's a very quick video showing this step:

YouTube/optodata