Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Greenscreen - where's the mask?
Steverd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 05, 2017 19:00 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
When adjusting the greenscreen in V17 I can't find a Mask for making adjustment like v16 had.
I like to be able to mask myself while making adjustments.

I LOVE the 3 point chroma keys, that a step forwards, but the adjustments so far are a step back
from v16.

Thank you
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Quote When adjusting the greenscreen in V17 I can't find a Mask for making adjustment like v16 had.
I like to be able to mask myself while making adjustments.

I LOVE the 3 point chroma keys, that a step forwards, but the adjustments so far are a step back
from v16.

Thank you

PowerDirector Tutorials Team
Steverd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 05, 2017 19:00 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have watched that video video already, BUT there is no masking of the person like the this.

This is really needed for fine tuning/adjustments.

Mask
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have watched that video video already, BUT there is no masking of the person like the this.

This is really needed for fine tuning/adjustments.

I do not think you will get it that precise. There is a create brush mask where you can go around the person. As long as they are not moving that much that might help did you see that? PowerDirector Tutorials Team
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There is a more advanced technique for something like this, where you'd copy the main clip (with the chroma-keying set as best as possible) and place the copy on the track below, aligned so that they're synced. Mute the sound on one of them, and reduce the opacity of the lower clip to around 50% so both clips are visible.

Even though you copied the chroma key from the original clip, the settings will be reset on the copy so you'll need to set it up again here, and this time focus on the colors that the initial one missed. You may even want to apply a mask on the copied clip to let the original clip show through if the second CK starts eating into things you want to stay visible.

Use feathered edges on a PD mask, and if you have the NewBlue Essentials 6 pack, the Garbage Matte FX may help as it has an easily adjustable shape. If you have NBFX Essentials 2, using the Shadows and Highlights FX on the original clip might help clean up the CK too, by reducing the intensity range of very bright and/or very dark areas and making them easier to CK out.

Experiment a bit with the CK settings on each and with the opacity level on the lower clip, and you should see some better results. I came up with this technique when trying to deal with curly hair in front of a background where I wanted to remove moving shadows from. Although in my case it's just a wall, and not actually a green screen, but the "stacking" technique worked great.

I'll try to put together either some pics or a quick tutorial to show how it works and what the results look like, but hopefully these tips will at least let you get started.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°