Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A couple of small tips for fellow newbies
Hankster65
Newbie Location: Kettering, OH Joined: Dec 04, 2018 09:19 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
I'm a newbie to video editing and it has been a challenging and wonderful learning experience. I'm enjoying it immensely. A couple of tips to pass on to fellow newbies that I hope might be helpful:

I've received a ton of good, down to earth, how to info from the tutorials on this YouTube channel:

The Sharper Turtle

You can download a complete PD 17 user manual (and other guides) here and I find it to be an invaluable reference:

Cyberlink User Guides

The heading to this forum says, "where experts meet" and as a newbie I am so glad that's true! I've been helped a lot and learned a lot here. I hope to someday know enough about PD to contribute a little myself. My tip is to read through all the topics, they all provide an opportunity to learn.

Happy Holidays to all!
Herojay [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2018 19:10 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm a newbie to video editing and it has been a challenging and wonderful learning experience. I'm enjoying it immensely. A couple of tips to pass on to fellow newbies that I hope might be helpful:

I've received a ton of good, down to earth, how to info from the tutorials on this YouTube channel:

The Sharper Turtle

You can download a complete PD 17 user manual (and other guides) here and I find it to be an invaluable reference:

Cyberlink User Guides

The heading to this forum says, "where experts meet" and as a newbie I am so glad that's true! I've been helped a lot and learned a lot here. I hope to someday know enough about PD to contribute a little myself. My tip is to read through all the topics, they all provide an opportunity to learn.

Happy Holidays to all!
Hi Hankster,
Thanks for the manual.

I purchased this software to simply d/l old dvr cassettes to make DVD's first, and then if I learn enough to edit them.
I cannot capture video from my dvr as the icon is blanked out. I also see in the manual the dvr must be connected to a iee 2394 firewire or usb. I have a RTX 2080 TI and have a hdmi / display port connection but again my software doesn't give me an option to download?? Any recommendations??? Or should I post / call tech support? Do not see where I can do any configuration settings.
Thanks
Hankster65
[Post New]
Hi Hankster,
Thanks for the manual.

I purchased this software to simply d/l old dvr cassettes to make DVD's first, and then if I learn enough to edit them.
I cannot capture video from my dvr as the icon is blanked out. I also see in the manual the dvr must be connected to a iee 2394 firewire or usb. I have a RTX 2080 TI and have a hdmi / display port connection but again my software doesn't give me an option to download?? Any recommendations??? Or should I post / call tech support? Do not see where I can do any configuration settings.
Thanks

Herojay, I'm glad you found the user guide link helpful. As to your question, I unfortunately, can offer no help. I would suggest you post a seperate topic concerning this issue on this forum and you might receive some help. The gurus here seem quite willing to offer a hand. Otherwise, yes, I would contact support. I'm sorry I could not personally help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2018 20:29

Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2018 05:36 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
On Amazon there are FireWire to USB adaptors and converters. It might be worth trying a converter, rather than adaptor. The latter may only be a rewireing , The converter should understand the signal and change accordingly.

merry Christmas

rgds

edit. If you are using a pc you can usually fit a FireWire Plc card to a slot in the motherboard. From memory (Many years have passed).mOne thing to be aware of is the FireWire connection is a 4. Or a 6 wire connection. The card had both inputs, but the camera had a 4 wire output.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 24. 2018 13:20

JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your endorsement of the Sharper Turtle!

--Jim
Hankster65
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for your endorsement of the Sharper Turtle!

--Jim

No, thank YOU! Your tutorials have been an immense help. Much, much thanks,