Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Screen recorder -- temporary files question
taylorphotographic [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2018 11:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
First, some background

Screen recorder - not sure how to tell the version, but it is the one that is packaged with PowerDirector 14.
System - Windows 8.1, quad core, 8 GB RAM, laptop.

Ok so I do some pretty long captures and I have installed m.2 memory (500 GB) to store captured video. This storage is really fast so the system can keep up.

Here's the thing though; I've noticed that even though I'm telling screen recorder to store videos at f:\video, data is actually being stored somewhere on the c: drive (I can see the free storage going down significantly, and no space is used on f: until I close the recording).

Is there some way to change the temporary file storage for this application ? Patrick Taylor,
Taylor Photographic
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You have two different questions here, and I hope I can give you two good answers

I don't think the early versions of ScreenRecorder display their version anywhere, but you can find it by right-clicking on the desktop icon and choosing Open file location. From that folder, hover your mouse cursor over the program and you should see the version, like this:

As for the temporary storage, I'm pretty sure you're using the version 1 SR, because it uses this folder on my Win10 PC C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\DskCapture\Temp - while SR2 saves the temp files on the destination drive and folder.

I searched through the registry and looked in several .ini files related to the PowerDirector version that had installed SR, but I couldn't find a setting to change the temp location.

Depending on how comfortable you are in making changes to Windows folders, you may want to redirect the temp folder to your F: drive. Otherwise, you'll have to free up space on your C: drive.

Here are the redirecting steps. Note that you may also need to change the View or Options settings in File Explorer to see the hidden AppData folder. Please use Google/Bing to get more info if you're unsure of anything I've written here

1. Go to the AppData folder for your user account, then right click on the Roaming subfolder and choose Properties

2. Click on the Location tab, then click on Move

3. Choose a new location on your F: drive, You can create a new folder there if desired

4. Click OK, and then Yes to confirm

Now when SR runs, it will store the temporary recording in the new location and your C: drive won't be affected.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 15. 2018 16:52

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
taylorphotographic [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2018 11:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You have two different questions here, and I hope I can give you two good answers

I don't think the early versions of ScreenRecorder display their version anywhere, but you can find it by right-clicking on the desktop icon and choosing Open file location. From that folder, hover your mouse cursor over the program and you should see the version, like this:

As for the temporary storage, I'm pretty sure you're using the version 1 SR, because it uses this folder on my Win10 PC C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\DskCapture\Temp - while SR2 saves the temp files on the destination drive and folder.

I searched through the registry and looked in several .ini files related to the PowerDirector version that had installed SR, but I couldn't find a setting to change the temp location.

Depending on how comfortable you are in making changes to Windows folders, you may want to redirect the temp folder to your F: drive. Otherwise, you'll have to free up space on your C: drive.

Here are the redirecting steps. Note that you may also need to change the View or Options settings in File Explorer to see the hidden AppData folder. Please use Google/Bing to get more info if you're unsure of anything I've written here

1. Go to the AppData folder for your user account, then right click on the Roaming subfolder and choose Properties

2. Click on the Location tab, then click on Move

3. Choose a new location on your F: drive, You can create a new folder there if desired

4. Click OK, and then Yes to confirm

Now when SR runs, it will store the temporary recording in the new location and your C: drive won't be affected.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really looking to redirect all of my roaming data to the m.2 drive; just the screen recorder. But you did answer my question in a way -- it seems what I need is a newer version of the program. Patrick Taylor,
Taylor Photographic
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
OK. The newer versions support many more features, like streaming and higher fps settings.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°