Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to Fade In/Fade Out Audio easily?
Cowboy69 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 11, 2018 17:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector 15 had a feature where you could click on the audio line which would show a red dot. You could drag the red dot up or down to raise or lower sound. Power Director 17 doesn't seem to have that feature. What is an easy way to fade audio in or out?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
If you like to contol the audio that way, it's still in PD17, you have to use the "Ctrl" key for that feature.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You can also use the Constant Gain or Constant Power audio transitions in the Transitions room. Just drag them onto the end of the clip and adjust the duration as needed.

Keyframes for the volume at any point in the track are another way to go, but Jeff's method above and using audio transitions are the simplest ways to fade in/out.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 11. 2018 17:31

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Quote You can also use the Constant Gain or Constant Power audio transitions in the Transitions room. Just drag them onto the end of the clip and adjust the duration as needed.

Keyframes for the volume at any point in the track are another way to go, but Jeff's method above and using audio transitions are the simplest ways to fade in/out.

I had the same issue and followed your given instruction. Thanks mate it works!!
Marc Evans [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 26, 2019 09:36 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If you like to contol the audio that way, it's still in PD17, you have to use the "Ctrl" key for that feature.

Jeff

What are the instructions for using the CTRL Key?

I'm new to this program, but some of the replies here seem to be missing the "steps". For example, another reply mentions "Constant Gain...transitions", but doesn't provide "where or how"...None are easy to find...I couldn't...

IDK, but one or two quick sentences seems to be missing.

Can ya help?

Respectfully,

Marc
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]

What are the instructions for using the CTRL Key?

I'm new to this program, but some of the replies here seem to be missing the "steps". For example, another reply mentions "Constant Gain...transitions", but doesn't provide "where or how"...None are easy to find...I couldn't...

IDK, but one or two quick sentences seems to be missing.

Can ya help?

Respectfully,

Marc

By placing your cursor over an existing waypoint (white dot) on the audio track in the timeline, pressing the Ctrl button, and then moving your cursor to a new point in the track and left clicking, a new waypoint is added. This helps a lot when creating fade ins and outs. With existing waypoints, you would highlight your audio clip, left click on (Grab) the waypoints (white dots) and adjust them up and down. You can identify the db level of your waypoints by hovering over them. +0.0 is the normal audio level. You can adjust to higher and lower levels as desired by grabbing the white dots and moving them up or down.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2019 12:03

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Generally, people on the forum use quick and simple answers, assuming that there's enough info to answer the question. If it's clear that someone isn't all that familiar with the program, usually people will take more time to explain the specifics.

In your case, you're probaly going to benefit from watching a few of the many available tutorials to give you a clkear understanding of how PD works. The Cyberlink Learning Center is one place to start, and there are also many tutorials made by fourm members that will help you out. A forum search for "tutorial" will bring up many choices.

For your specific question about the audio transitions, all transitions are located in the Transitions Romm (press the F8 key to go there), and if you select the Audio (for music) filter, those will be the only 2 transitions that are visible:

You would then drag and drop one of those onto the start or end of our clip to fade the sound in or out.

To use the audio keyframe method, which uses the CTRL key, follow the steps shown here:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Marc Evans [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Generally, people on the forum use quick and simple answers, assuming that there's enough info to answer the question. If it's clear that someone isn't all that familiar with the program, usually people will take more time to explain the specifics.

In your case, you're probaly going to benefit from watching a few of the many available tutorials to give you a clkear understanding of how PD works. The Cyberlink Learning Center is one place to start, and there are also many tutorials made by fourm members that will help you out. A forum search for "tutorial" will bring up many choices.

For your specific question about the audio transitions, all transitions are located in the Transitions Romm (press the F8 key to go there), and if you select the Audio (for music) filter, those will be the only 2 transitions that are visible:

You would then drag and drop one of those onto the start or end of our clip to fade the sound in or out.

To use the audio keyframe method, which uses the CTRL key, follow the steps shown here:

Thank you for the professional response. Much appreciated...I've completed several videos with greenscreens etc...all good...love the program, but for the life of me couldn't figure out how to fade the audio...

Thanks for taking the time...that's impressive.
Marc Evans [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thank you for the professional response. Much appreciated...I've completed several videos with greenscreens etc...all good...love the program, but for the life of me couldn't figure out how to fade the audio...

Thanks for taking the time...that's impressive.

PS: "F8" ONLY starts the video. And there is no sound.

Anyway, wish there were an index in order to find "how".

Thanks again...I'll keep working on this...whew!
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Adjust the volume and add fade in or fade out.
Follow the mouse movement in the video.
Directly on the timeline or using keyframes. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365