Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produce Video Output Without Bloat?
RixCanDoIt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 03, 2016 16:09 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I'm in the process of ripping my library of movie DVDs onto media main storage for library access.

One of the movies I ripped has a couple of words I don't want to keep.

The original ripped video is 556mb MKV file and the codec shows 720 x 386 23.967fps (24)

So I thought the best way to edit out the two bad words was to load this file into Powerdirector, mute the two bad words, then produce the final video for storage.

After a ton of reading, I end up going with H.264 AVC because I want to keep the high quality for TV viewing (16:9).

Unfortunately, I ended up with a 11g file!!! This was by accepting the default I had at 1920 x 1080.

So I set for AVC 720x480/24p (8 Mbps) and noticed it shows output around 6g. Still whopping big!! Also, I'm concerned if this is even the right thing to do, changing to 720x480.

Why the bloat?

How do I avoid this?

TIA
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
More than likely the mkv file bit rate was 11x lower than what you chose. 740 Kbps is what you need but it may be too small to set in a custom profile for PD16 but you can try it. I have used Avidemux in the past on mp4 files. No experience on it’s use on mkv. Search the internet for a low bit rate encoding solution.
RixCanDoIt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 03, 2016 16:09 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote More than likely the mkv file bit rate was 11x lower than what you chose. 740 Kbps is what you need but it may be too small to set in a custom profile for PD16 but you can try it. I have used Avidemux in the past on mp4 files. No experience on it’s use on mkv. Search the internet for a low bit rate encoding solution.

Yes, I had ended up using Avidemux. Project done.

It will remain a mystery as to me why a video edit program can't do something as simple as allow lossless splicing.

Thanks for your response.
Tesityr
Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
[Post New]

Yes, I had ended up using Avidemux. Project done.

It will remain a mystery as to me why a video edit program can't do something as simple as allow lossless splicing.

Thanks for your response.

If I may, perhaps send this to CyberLink as a "Suggestion" - although this is more of an Editing program, as opposed to a simpler crop/trim program - there should still be an Option or Setting somewhere for "use original codec/bitrate" or "do not transcode" or something similar... I agree!