Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Windows 10 October 2018 update - Photodirector 8
CCEB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ontario, Canada Joined: Nov 09, 2013 17:16 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I received this update in early October but have not suffered the problems that caused Microsoft to withdraw it. However, I had problems opening Photodirector 8 and decided to reinstall it. The program opens ok but I cannot import any files to it. In other words, when I select import in the lower left corner of the program, nothing happens. File explorer does not open for me to select a file or a folder. The same is true for the video-to-photo option. Can anyone help me to find a solution? Chris
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I received this update in early October but have not suffered the problems that caused Microsoft to withdraw it.

Are you sure? What happens if you rollback W10? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
CCEB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ontario, Canada Joined: Nov 09, 2013 17:16 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]

Are you sure? What happens if you rollback W10?

I also have Power director 15 as well as Power DVD 17. Both work fine along with everything else on my PC. I have also installed the Microsoft Patch that came out last Tuesday. Rolling back to previous windows 10 is not an option at this time. Chris
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Two things to try: Are you able to drag and drop a clip from File Explorer into the library? That may be the simplest work-around, especially if you've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling PhD8.

Also when you hover your mouse over the Import tab, does a blue highlight appear?

There does seem to be a delay on my system with PhD10, and it often takes 2-3 seconds for the selection menu to appear, but I'm running Insider build 18252, which is beyond the Oct 2018 release. I don't have PhD8, but PhD7 operates normally, with no delay.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2018 19:51

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
CCEB [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry guys. I was able to solve the problem. I was using a portable hard drive as my default pictures folder. I removed the drive a couple weeks ago but forgot to move the default drive back to a pictures folder on one of my internal hard drives. In further troubleshooting the issue I found the mistake and corrected it. Photo director was evidently pointing to a drive/folder that did not exist. Had nothing to do with the windows 10 up date. All is working now. Thanks for your help. Chris
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Glad you got it figured out. It would have been nice if PhD8 brought up some kind of dialog simply stating that it couldn't find the requested drive/folder.

FWIW, PhD10 changes the default folder automatically back to the "Sample Images" C: folder if I set the project folder to a USB drive, then close PhD and remove the drive before starting PhD again.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
CCEB [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Glad you got it figured out. It would have been nice if PhD8 brought up some kind of dialog simply stating that it couldn't find the requested drive/folder.

FWIW, PhD10 changes the default folder automatically back to the "Sample Images" C: folder if I set the project folder to a USB drive, then close PhD and remove the drive before starting PhD again.

I agree. It would have saved me some time. All in all though it was a learning experience that I will no doubt call on again at some point in the future. Something you said about about the import option lighting up in blue when I moused over it, which it did made me realize that it was some setting that neede tweaking. Thanks for that. Chris