Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD17 Menu creation issue
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I have found a problem in creating or modifying menus in PD17. The menu will not show up named in alphabetical order in the menu library. The just created menu appears at the top right row without a menu name. You can use and apply the menu, but it cannot be deleted (That selection is grayed out). The Monopoly menu is selected by default as shown in the screenshot.

To delete that last menu, you must create a new menu, save it with a name and then this new menu will appear at the top right row in the same spot as the last one. The previously created menu will then appear in alphabetical order and can be deleted from disk. This new menu cannot be deleted from disk as it like the previous one has no menu name showing.

This is an irritating bug in PD17 which has no workaround that I could find. Would like to see if others have the same issue and a fix for it.
[Thumb - PD17 menu problem.jpg]
 Filename
PD17 menu problem.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Created menu has no name showing.
 Filesize
557 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
59 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Weird. I don't see that issue but every operation in the Create Disc room is - a g o n i z i n g l y ... s l o o o o o w. By this I mean that moving an item on the menu takes 20 seconds to respond, and saving the template took over 4 minutes! Something's definitely messed up here, but I don't think it's related to the issue you're having.

I created a new template, and it (eventually) showed up in the correct place in the list, and it can be deleted as expected:

Next, I modified the Monopoly menu and saved it as T13-82, then I deleted T13-81. I couldn't delete T13-82 because PD said it was "in use" so I left it for the time being.

Then I tried out my Surface Pro 3 to see how it behaved. Everything in the Create Disc module responded much quicker, but when I went to the menu library the T13-81 menu template was already there!

What?

So ... somehow the new menu template had already synced to a separate device (which is logged in with the same credentials). Wow. I guess that's a great feature to have workspaces synced across devices - I just didn't know that was happeneing.

Also, I don't see any new files with T13- on any of my drives, and when I log into DZ I only see the template I uploaded several years ago. Even stranger is that I do not have an active Cyberlink Cloud subscription - yet somehow this menu item ended up on a 2nd machine!

I then modified the Monopoly menu on my SP3 and saved it as T13-81. Guess what? When I opened PD17 on my desktop, there's the new menu.

Sorry this became about something other than your issue, but neither of my machines is showing that behavior. If you have a Cyberlink Cloud subscription, can you log in and check to see if your nameless template (or it's replacement) can be deleted from there?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day tomasc & optodata -

Man there's some spooky stuff happening over there!

Down here in OZ, the menu module seems to be behaving predictably. On the first menu I created, the template appeared almost immediately, listed alphabetically. Subsequent attempts were all successful. Short story - I couldn't replicate the issue Tomas posted.

My newly created templates did not magically appear on other PCs, but I'd be a bit freaked out if they did!

Menu Designer was pretty responsive on the PC I used to check all of the above, but I know if I swapped chairs I'd be grizzling about how slow it was. Take a look at my new PC (DxDiag attached).

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
ynotfish_PC3_DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1011 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 08. 2018 23:21

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you optodata for taking the time check out menu modification and saving them under a new name. The problem that I am having with PD17 may be a glitch somewhere in my system. I know that any modified menu will be saved with the original menu name and overwritten if you don’t give it a different menu name. I don’t remember a case where a menu can be saved without first giving it a name.

Each version of PD can handle the menu library differently. Opened PD9 and see that the Menus are handled by the sequential order as they are created or by modified and renamed. The Win Explorer is reporting exactly what I see here. See the screenshot. This is different from PD12 through PD17 in which the created and modified menu are handled in alphabetical order in the menu library.

Could not delete that no name modified menu in any PD version from the respective menu library as that function is grayed out. I will try modifying menus and saving them with an earlier version of PD for use with PD17 from now on to avoid this problem in the future.

Glad that this problem does not occur in your system and that no one else has reported this issue. It does seem that each pc and software combination can have different glitches. Thank you again for your time.

EDIT: I see ynotfish’s post just now and will respond after checking it out and his new pc…
[Thumb - PD9 custom menus.jpg]
 Filename
PD9 custom menus.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Same Custom menus shown in sequential order in PD9.
 Filesize
465 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
50 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2018 00:15

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you, Tony, for checking out that menu creation and naming works as expected on your new pc. It must be something specific to my pc. May have to delete that menu manually with win explorer.

I believe that the I9 with 64 GB of ram should handle 4k and beyond. Congratulations on having such a machine.

optodata – I have the 50 GB/ year amazon cloud storage from Cyberlink but did not enable it because my previous ATT Uverse speed is 12Mbps download. Upload is 1/10 of that so I did not activate it again. Prefer to use an external hard drive for storage and backup for that reason.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote G'day tomasc & optodata -
Man there's some spooky stuff happening over there!
My newly created templates did not magically appear on other PCs, but I'd be a bit freaked out if they did!
Cheers - Tony

Time to get your freak on, Tony

Take a look at my all-but-definitive proof that somehow, my 2 machines are indeed synced without any action on my part. I shot everything in a single take with one camera, and there are no cuts in the clip to show exactly how this all played out:

Also, apologies for saying "Thomas-C" in my narrative, especially if I should have pronounced it "Tomás-C"

As for the original issue here, I wonder if uninstalling/reinstalling PD will make any difference. It didn't initially help with my audio issue I posted about, but two days later I can't trigger it again, so it may be worth a shot!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I believe that once the cloud storage is activated then you can get to choose the folders to backup and choose the folders you want to synchronize or just leave it at the default. In the past I turned it off and choose only a few specific items to store. Looks feasible for someone with cable or fiber internet. Unfortunately asymmetrical upload speed is 1/10 that of advertised download speeds from the phone company. It could take many hours to upload a large file. Glad that you have high speed cloud storage and syncing.

The 32 seconds to save a menu looks about right although I never timed mine.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I believe that once the cloud storage is activated then you can get to choose the folders to backup and choose the folders you want to synchronize or just leave it at the default. In the past I turned it off and choose only a few specific items to store.
The 32 seconds to save a menu looks about right although I never timed mine.

FYI I didn't think I had an active CL Could subscription, and I haven't ever knowingly used it to back anything up - certainly not an entire project. When I open any other DS365 app besides PD, I get this message

However, if I click on the CL Cloud tab in PD under Preferences, it points to an active download folder (D:\OneDrive\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\17.0) which has some content, but nothing resembling the disc menus.

For fun, I tried clicking on "Restore from CL Cloud" and I could choose from these 3 items:

but I then get a message that my subscription has expired when I clicked OK.

OK

Clicking on Account Information shows the following graphic, so I'm still not clear on whether or not I have an active subscription, but I don't seem to have used any of the storage either way:

This has certainly been a learning experiecne for me!

YouTube/optodata

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update: I have this Menu issue resolved. Contacted Cyberlink support to report this issue and to get help. I have deleted the very first menu created in PD17 as per their suggestion and find that the other menus created after that display correctly in Menu preferences. Tried to reproduce this and the odd behavior has not returned.

Thanks to all for the help in this menu issue.
optodata
[Post New]
Glad to hear this got resolved, and fairly quickly too!

YouTube/optodata