Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problems in uninstalling PowerDIr7 when upgrading to 8
Peter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2009 13:27 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
During the installation of Power Director 8 upgrade version, the installation process asked to uninstall Power Director 7. An error window came up saying,
"Error!! The product difinitation file lost." Power Director 7 was not uninstalled and I don't see an icon for Power Director 8 on my desktop. Whenever I click on the Cyberlink PowerDirector Icon that is on my desktop, Version 7 opens.
What should I do?
Pete
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Peter -

I remember that same error when I once tried to install PD7... & I still don't have a clue what definitation files are!

The solution is to COMPLETELY uninstall PD7 before your install PD8.
You'll find instructions for this at...

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page

A free utility that helps here is Windows Clean Up Install. It is important that you remove all traces of PowerDirector from your PC, before installing PDR8.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Peter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2009 13:27 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,
Many thanks. In the end it was the Windows Clean Up Install program that did it. Pete
Carol [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ireland Joined: Jun 01, 2009 15:20 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Just in case anyone has this problem and Windows Clean Up Utility doesn't work for them (like me!) - I got a free program which I thoroughly scanned before use and it was clean, revouninstaller (revouninstaller.com).

It does a complete deep scan and shows you the results so you can decide what to keep/remove...and this worked a treat for me! Which was really good cause I was about to strangle someone

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2009 12:41