Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Chroma Key in PowerDirector 17 - Controls Missing?
Gary Grant [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 29, 2018 17:17 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I just upgraded to Power Director 17, and in the Chroma Key settings there are only controls for Color Range and Denoise.

I seem to remember more options or advanced controls here and I see them in various tutorial videos on Green Screening.

Have controls been removed in the new version- or am I missing something?

I appreciate the help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2018 19:26

PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just ungraded to Power Director 17, and in the Chroma Key settings there are only controls for Color Range and Denoise.

I seem to remember more options or advanced controls here and I see them in various tutorial videos on Green Screening.

I appreciate the help.

They removed the controls your talking about but you can do more then one key. I made a quick video to show it.
I really like new setup for doing green screen

PowerDirector Tutorials Team
Gary Grant [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 29, 2018 17:17 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]

They removed the controls your talking about but you can do more then one key. I made a quick video to show it.
I really like new setup for doing green screen

Thank you for the prompt answer and the video. I will certainly watch it.

As, I am an amateur at using green screening- I was hoping for some controls on softening the edges and maybe some ways to make up for my lack of experience through those parameters.

I hope I don't have to look for other software to do my green screen process. I do love Power Director.

Again, thank you.
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]

Thank you for the prompt answer and the video. I will certainly watch it.

As, I am an amateur at using green screening- I was hoping for some controls on softening the edges and maybe some ways to make up for my lack of experience through those parameters.

I hope I don't have to look for other software to do my green screen process. I do love Power Director.

Again, thank you.

I use and app called GREEN SCREENER on my phone. I setup on a cheap tripod and point it at my green screen. This app informs me where I need more light. You will notice in the video my green screen is almost glowing. When you do a green screen it does not matter which program you use to edit with. The program will not make it better. PROPER LIGHTING is the key. Get your light right and you will be a movie studio. PowerDirector Tutorials Team
Didou
Newbie Location: Valence, Rhone-Alpes, France Joined: Nov 23, 2016 10:05 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
The chromakey function is no longer at the top. Before we could better manage the parameters with more precision. Since version 17 it is of a mediocre and unusable quality if you wish to do precisely. It's not good to have changed that.
michaeld [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2018 13:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just upgraded to Power Director 17, and in the Chroma Key settings there are only controls for Color Range and Denoise.

I appreciate the help.

Has anyone done an actual comparison between Powerdirector 16 & 17 chorma key? Powerdirector 16 had more options for a single key, while Powerdirector 17 has less control per key but can do multiple keys.

Which actually works better? I have Powerdirector 16 and am wondering if Powerdirector 17 will actually be an improvement for the chroma key. Is it worth upgrading as far as this feature is concerned?

I have read the other replies here, but I didn't see anyone who actually used both on the same clip to see which did a better job.

Thanks,

Michael
PowerDirector Tutorials
[Post New]

Has anyone done an actual comparison between Powerdirector 16 & 17 chorma key? Powerdirector 16 had more options for a single key, while Powerdirector 17 has less control per key but can do multiple keys.

Which actually works better? I have Powerdirector 16 and am wondering if Powerdirector 17 will actually be an improvement for the chroma key. Is it worth upgrading as far as this feature is concerned?

I have read the other replies here, but I didn't see anyone who actually used both on the same clip to see which did a better job.

Thanks,

Michael

I find 17 a whole better. Its very important you get your lighting proper PowerDirector Tutorials Team
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Has anyone done an actual comparison between Powerdirector 16 & 17 chorma key? Powerdirector 16 had more options for a single key, while Powerdirector 17 has less control per key but can do multiple keys.

Using some stock green screen clips (I didn't shoot them myself) against a mixture of background clips (that's a challenge in itself), I tried to do just that. The same projects were built in both PDR16 & 17.

I couldn't say one is better than the other, though PDR17 allows multiple keys.

Here are my comparison tests anyway. The chroma-key settings used are in the video description.

PDR16 Green Screen 1

PDR17 Green Screen 1

PDR16 Green Screen 2

PDR17 Green Screen 2

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2018 13:35

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!