Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Multicam syncronization using "Audio Analysis" produces odd results
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone had issues with the syncronization of videos in the MultiCam Designer using the "Audio Analysis" option?
On my system clicking "Apply" in a two camera setting puts one camera's clip after the other in the timeline. I used the same two clips on another machine running PD16 and it worked as expected.

Thanks!

--Jim
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Has anyone had issues with the syncronization of videos in the MultiCam Designer using the "Audio Analysis" option?
On my system clicking "Apply" in a two camera setting puts one camera's clip after the other in the timeline. I used the same two clips on another machine running PD16 and it worked as expected.

Thanks!

--Jim

PD does that when it can't match the clips. I just tried placing 2 versions of the exact same clip on the normal timeline, then selected both and clicked the Sync by Audio button. Guess what? It couldn't match two identical clips!

That's very, very strange, but it's also unexplained because I've used that feature 4 or 5 times this past week without any problems until just now.

This needs more detective work, I'm afraid...

oops! I tried matching two identical clips with NO audio! :#) Two of my regular camcorder clips DO sync correctly in the timeline, and they also synced perfectly MultiCam Designer.

Can you use MediaInfo and post the audio specs for each clip? Better yet, could you upload the actual clips and link to them?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2018 22:08

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
I installed Director Suite 365 on my primary machine following your post. Those two video clips worked as expected in that context. The "Audio Analysis" worked flawlessly in syncronizing the videos.

I'm wondering if the problem was related to the hardware on the other machine or the fact that I was using the trial verision of 17.

--Jim
[Post New]
I've never found the automatic stuff in PD to be all that useful. I've never had the synch by audio work for me since it was introduced. I've had various odd results from things like automatic scene detection, automatic music beat detection, and content aware analysis.
I would rathere see the editing controls of PD developed more rather than more "bells and whistles" for lazy editors added. With each new version of PD, they seem to add more junk like this and "More effects and transitions" and I get another step towards going to another NLE. Scott Hendry
www.scotthendry.com
YouTube username TheCscottHendry
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've never found the automatic stuff in PD to be all that useful. I've never had the synch by audio work for me since it was introduced...

I wonder why that is. I've used it many times over the years, both in the main timeline and in the MultiCam Designer, and I don't think there have been more than a couple of times when PD couldn't sync two clips - even when the cameras were located a hundred feet apart, or when one cam had a lav/wireless mic and the other(s) had the ambient audio.

I don't use any of the "Magic" or Express features, but I've been pretty happy with most of the editing tools. The addition of 360 tools, motion tracking and the action center in particular have helped me, but they're not going to be useful for everyone.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Ah yes, the motion tracking. Another automatic function that doesn't work very well. It requires a very high contrast item to track correctly. I see that they've added a frame by frame tracking in PD17. I guess that is an enhancement to improve the usefulness of it.
That said, I have used the motion tracking, but if the tracked object hasn't got a high contrast to the surrounding area or nice sharp edges, it tends to lose lock on it after a few frames.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2018 02:30

Scott Hendry
www.scotthendry.com
YouTube username TheCscottHendry