Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Programme Crashes @20% During Save of PDS
IanG [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 04, 2017 11:48 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to get support from Cyberlink for the past two or three days but, despite sending error message screen-shots and details of what happened, they seem more concerned with asking for screen-shots of the programme splash-screen and version numbers.

I am running PD15 (fully updated) on a system with a pretty reasonable spec for editing etc. (Inc. 30Tb of disk space, 32Gb RAM and Win7 64-bit SP1 Ultimate.)

Frequently, however, when I periodically save my work during an editing session, as the progress bar reaches 20% it hangs and, despite a variety of attempts, including waiting patiently for 20-30 minutes, the programme is totally dead with the inevitable complete loss of editing since the last successful save.

Clicking on any "function" simply brings up the standard "AppHang" error box with the relevant error codes.

Has anyone had similar experiences, or suggestions as to a remedy or other ideas please ?

Thanks,

Ian
[Thumb - capture_20082018_170618.jpg]
 Filename
capture_20082018_170618.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
97 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
[Thumb - capture_20082018_170609.jpg]
 Filename
capture_20082018_170609.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
108 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - capture_20082018_170627.jpg]
 Filename
capture_20082018_170627.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Everyone,

Frequently, however, when I periodically save my work during an editing session, as the progress bar reaches 20% it hangs and, despite a variety of attempts, including waiting patiently for 20-30 minutes, the programme is totally dead with the inevitable complete loss of editing since the last successful save.

Hi,

Can you confirm :
if this is a general issue that happens with all projects - even re-opening finished and completed ones as a test - or is it with one particular project?
has this just started to happen or has it been a longer standing issue?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 22. 2018 03:43

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
IanG [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,

Can you confirm :
if this is a general issue that happens with all projects - even re-opening finished and completed ones as a test - or is it with one particular project?
has this just started to happen or has it been a longer standing issue?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Hi,

No, this has happened with a few other projects - almost since I first installed the programme a few months ago.

The reason I posted this time was out of frustration as (a) the first occasion lost me an incredible amount of work (I'd forgotten to save) and (b) the programme crashed about six times in fairly quick succession following --- but then it seemed to settle down and I was able to complete a further 6 hours without crash.

No other programmes or processes were running during this time.

Thanks,

Ian
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I can't remember 'off the top of my head' if menus are created early in the creation process or at the end. One of the common problems that arise when creating a DVD is some defect in the menu e.g. overlapping items. You can test for this is by creating a DVD without a menu.

If you're not creating a DVD and the problem always occurs at 20% then there is an item at that point on the timeline that is defective in some way i.e. in a 10 minute video it is at the 2 minute marker. Could be a transition gone wrong or a video file that PDR can't deal with for instance.
IanG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I can't remember 'off the top of my head' if menus are created early in the creation process or at the end. One of the common problems that arise when creating a DVD is some defect in the menu e.g. overlapping items. You can test for this is by creating a DVD without a menu.

If you're not creating a DVD and the problem always occurs at 20% then there is an item at that point on the timeline that is defective in some way i.e. in a 10 minute video it is at the 2 minute marker. Could be a transition gone wrong or a video file that PDR can't deal with for instance.

Hi Longedge,

Thanks for your response.

However, in none of my projects since day one have I ever tried to use the PD DVD Menu Creator.
I prefer using a more advanced stand-alone product.

Your second suggestion would take coincidence(s) to the extreme by suggesting that each and every crash that has occurred since day one, and over several different projects, has encountered a "dodgy" item in each and every file, precisely at the same spot every time?

If that were the case, would the programme not crash on every occasion a "save" was carried out, at least until the "dodgy" item had been removed?

Thanks,

Ian
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
My bad - I made an incorrect assumption. You are talking specifically about saving a project, something that should take a matter of seconds since the only thing that is happening is that an xml file is being created or modified. I was thinking in terms of producing i.e. rendering a project be it to a DVD or to say an .mp4 file.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My bad - I made an incorrect assumption. You are talking specifically about saving a project, something that should take a matter of seconds since the only thing that is happening is that an xml file is being created or modified. I was thinking in terms of producing i.e. rendering a project be it to a DVD or to say an .mp4 file.

You say you have plenty space on your hard disk so that should not be the problem. So try disabling Hardware Acceleration. HA sometimes causes this kind of problem.

If you are using shadow files, try without, and see if that helps. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
IanG [Avatar]
[Post New]

You say you have plenty space on your hard disk so that should not be the problem. So try disabling Hardware Acceleration. HA sometimes causes this kind of problem.

If you are using shadow files, try without, and see if that helps.

Hi The Shadowman,

My apologies for not having replied sooner, but I received no email notification about your response, but then all communications from Cyberlink appear to have ceased -- it is now nearly three weeks since I lodged the Ticket with them on this matter, with no solution forthcoming, and no contact for the past several days either.

They really do seem more concerned with version numbers and asking repetitive questions than getting on and sorting out the problem.

However, the Hardware Acceleration was disabled some time ago due to another programme problem, and the Shadow file option too is inactive.

Thanks for these suggestions, I'll listen and take action on all you care to pass to me, particularly as I am about to start a new project which will contain a lot of clips and am not looking forward to constant crashing.

Kind regards,

Ian