Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How can I import a video from a DVD to PowerDirector 15?
BostonBenzman29 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 22, 2013 21:07 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I have a DVD that I produced some years ago directly from tape, using a DVD burner.
I no longer have access to the original tapes and the customer wants additional copies of the material, but not on DVD.
Now I want to import that same video material into Power Director.
But I cannot find any instructions to do so. There is no mention of importing files from a DVD in the user manaul, or in the FAQs.
The previous questions posted about this quesiton mostly seem to go nack 10 years or so and relate to earlier software, or they have some other details that do not seem to apply.

Also, the DVD has many files on it. I am not even sure whaich files contain the actual video or audio material. the largest files have the suffix .VOB, so I suspect those may be the video files. But what are all the oterh files, and do I need those as well? They have suffixes of .BUP and .IFO -- Do I need those?

On another forum, I see a suggestion to use a program to "rip" the DVD and convert it into video files in various formats. Do I need to do that? Or can PD15 handle it as is?

So, I imagine this is possible and is likely straightforward and just is not common and so is not in the manual At least, I hope that is the case!

Can someone give me some tips about what I need to do?

Thank you!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 15. 2018 21:31

benzman29
Dedham, MA
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Two possible ways:

1) Copy the VTS_***.VOB files from the disc with windows explorer to your hard drive. Add these files to the PD timeline. It's often best to add them and then produce to the format of your desire and edit that file. If not, one often can have some video/audio lag and sync issues.
2) Use the PD "Capture" module. Just use the capture from optical device, second icon from the right at top. This will capture the contents and allow you to save when the capture is complete. This approach is discussed in the users guide.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There is no mention of importing files from a DVD in the user manaul, or in the FAQs.

See page 66 in the PD15 UG Capturing from an Optical Device . Put your dvd in the optical drive and rip it to video files. This function is in all versions of PD that I have used. You are given the option to rip by chapters from what I remember.
BostonBenzman29 [Avatar]
[Post New]

See page 66 in the PD15 UG Capturing from an Optical Device . Put your dvd in the optical drive and rip it to video files. This function is in all versions of PD that I have used. You are given the option to rip by chapters from what I remember.

Thanks! I would not have associated "Capture from optical device" with what I was trying to do, so thanks for pointing out that section. Will give it a try! benzman29
Dedham, MA
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
This tutorial may help you.

--Jim
BostonBenzman29 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This tutorial may help you.

--Jim

Thanks! This worked great! benzman29
Dedham, MA
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
For a PDF of clickable links to more Sharper Turtle tutorials click here.