Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Clip all black after applying LUT to Log clip
OliReading [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2018 08:46 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have clips recorded from various cameras and one was configured to use Log, so it appeared washed out when I viewed it (I was unaware of Log footage) so the owner of the camera gave me a LUT "GC_BMDFilm-709.mga" which bought it into normal colouring at the time.

A week later I've tried to apply the same LUT to the same file but the output is black! Entirely black, both preview and produced footage. I've applied LUTs to other clips which change as expected and I've tried to apply other LUTs to that log footage and it also comes out black.

So something happened over a week, the result of which is that any LUT applied to any Log footage renders it black - preview and production.

I'm not aware of any change over the week except usual Windows updates etc. I've tried turning on/off hardware rendering which makes no difference.

Any suggestions?
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have clips recorded from various cameras and one was configured to use Log, so it appeared washed out when I viewed it (I was unaware of Log footage) so the owner of the camera gave me a LUT "GC_BMDFilm-709.mga" which bought it into normal colouring at the time.

A week later I've tried to apply the same LUT to the same file but the output is black! Entirely black, both preview and produced footage. I've applied LUTs to other clips which change as expected and I've tried to apply other LUTs to that log footage and it also comes out black.

So something happened over a week, the result of which is that any LUT applied to any Log footage renders it black - preview and production.

I'm not aware of any change over the week except usual Windows updates etc. I've tried turning on/off hardware rendering which makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

Was the clip on your hard drive when you tried to apply the LUT. Was the clip on an SD card or other external drive that you have since removed from the PC. If it was on an external drive etc that you had removed, copy to the HDD and reapply the LUT

Also make sure you have the latest patch 2816. There are fixes for LUT problems in the release notes

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 06. 2018 14:33

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi OliReading -

You didn't mention which camera the source file is from. The GC_BDMFilm-709 LUT is a freebie from Ground Control andd was made for use with footage from BlackMagic Cinema cameras (BMCC).

Using that LUT on clips from BMCC, Panasonic GH5 & Sony A7Sii (including the .cube & .3dl versions of the same LUT), I haven't been able to get the clips to turn black... in preview or production.

There is sometimes a separate issue where PDR doesn't retain the LUT adjustment after a project is saved, closed & re-opened... but that's a different thing.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
OliReading [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi OliReading -

You didn't mention which camera the source file is from. The GC_BDMFilm-709 LUT is a freebie from Ground Control andd was made for use with footage from BlackMagic Cinema cameras (BMCC).

Using that LUT on clips from BMCC, Panasonic GH5 & Sony A7Sii (including the .cube & .3dl versions of the same LUT), I haven't been able to get the clips to turn black... in preview or production.

There is sometimes a separate issue where PDR doesn't retain the LUT adjustment after a project is saved, closed & re-opened... but that's a different thing.

Cheers - Tony

Hi thanks both for the feedback.

The camera file I was reading was from hard drive. I have a bunch from the same camera and they all look fine until turned black by any LUT I apply - so not a problem specific to the clip or the LUT file.

I've rebooted and retried this issue and it's exactly the same, so not like a project issue either. When I did the same thing to the same files a few weeks ago it worked, so does suggest a corruption.

My only theory now is that something's got corrupt on the PD installation, so shall uninstall/reinstall to see if it's any better. It's a baffling problem but quite crippling when you're trying to edit a film - PD is useless to me until I can fix it.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again -

Sorry, I don't think it's correct to rule out potential issue with the clips or the LUT & how they might interact.

You still have not specified the camera brand & model. This information may be important to resolving the issue. As I understand it, you are not the owner of the camera & did not shoot the particular clips. Please contact the owner & confirm the details.

Attached are the .cube, .3dl & .mga versions of the GC_BDMFilm-709 LUTs. Please test these LUTs on the clips in a new project.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
GC_BMDFilm-709 LUTs.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
478 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
221 time(s)

OliReading [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi again -

Sorry, I don't think it's correct to rule out potential issue with the clips or the LUT & how they might interact.

You still have not specified the camera brand & model. This information may be important to resolving the issue. As I understand it, you are not the owner of the camera & did not shoot the particular clips. Please contact the owner & confirm the details.

Attached are the .cube, .3dl & .mga versions of the GC_BDMFilm-709 LUTs. Please test these LUTs on the clips in a new project.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for the help Tony.

I took your LUT and applied it to all 51 of the clips from my friend's camera in a new PD project and they all render as black in preview and everwhere else, but turn to normal as soon as I click to disable the application of the LUT.

I asked my friend about the equipment used, he said: "The files you have were recorded on my external recorder, Blackmagic Video Assist 4K, in mov container with DNxHD 145 codec, as 25 fps 1920x1080. The source camera was a Blackmagic Cinema Camera, but that won’t make any difference as the Video Assist just records whatever is coming in on the SDI port. The only thing that might make a difference is the fact it was shot in LOG."

I tried applying the same LUT to a bunch of clips from different cameras and all the others previewed correctly (albeit with horrible colour balance due to using an inappropriate LUT).

Any other ideas?
Oli
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote DNxHD 145 codec, as 25 fps 1920x1080.

More than likely the issue lies here, with DNxHD format. To my knowledge that's not off the shelf supported in PD. You may be able to install the Avid QuickTime Codec pack (or other packs) to provide support, instead, I'd simply convert with Handbrake to basic 1920x1080 AVC in a mp4 container and you should have no issue with the black preview and production after LUT's in PD16.

Jeff
OliReading [Avatar]
[Post New]

More than likely the issue lies here, with DNxHD format. To my knowledge that's not off the shelf supported in PD. You may be able to install the Avid QuickTime Codec pack (or other packs) to provide support, instead, I'd simply convert with Handbrake to basic 1920x1080 AVC in a mp4 container and you should have no issue with the black preview and production after LUT's in PD16.

Jeff

Hi, I've already installed the Avid codec - before I did that PD couldn't display the files at all.

And I reinstalled PD (back to raw v16 without update) and the problem was the same.

I've now given up on PD for this problem, I'll find something else to apply the LUT then may return to PD for the editing unless I find whatever app applies the LUT correctly turns out to be better at editing too.

But if anyone in future comes across the same problem, I'd be interested to know the solution.
ynotfish
[Post New]
One of these might resolve the issue for you.

Cheers - Tony
OliReading [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote One of these might resolve the issue for you.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks, actually I'd already downloaded DaVinci Resolve (version 12 as I'm running on Windows 7) and already confirmed that the same original film clip with the same LUT file converts and displays fine in Resolve, so will use that for the conversion (and perhaps more).