Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
advice for best workflow.
Johnkl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2017 13:48 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using a 4K camera, and after 4 weeks of vacation I have a tons video/photo clips
MY PC is a workstation with Xeon processor and not a fancy CUDA card and this machine is not speddy to render 4K video.
It take app. the same time to render as to play the clips (4min footage take 4 min to render) without any edits

What would be the best workflow for making a whole vacation movie ?

1) place all the clips on the timeline, edit them , add transition and music and then wait one night for the system to render

or

2) would it be possible to render lets say one final segment pr. day and the later combine them to one

I cannot figure out the best way.

The first, will probably make the best result, but I have to re-do everthing before all the iterations for a final film are done
The second need to make one final render, but for already rendered clips`?

Im using MP4 4K profiles, and need H265 in order to get lower bandwidth in final video, due to my NAS cannot supply enought speed to play the clips. My camera product 100MB/s and I nee to down to 50MB/s, for that to work. If I select H264 profile, and change the render down to 50Mb/s it takes forever to render.

Any suggestions ?

thanks
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
From my point of view, both is possible. It (as always) depends on your special wishes.

The second way has the advantage, that you have small projects and for the final render, you choose SVRT and have a really very fast render.
BUT, if you want to have a change in the rendered projects, you have to look after, and change and render again. In the end, than can take longer than method one.
And realtime rendering for 4K is not really bad.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Johnkl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2017 13:48 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
thanks
But... strangly enough, if I try to take a unmodified 4K clip (19sec long) , place it on the timeline.
Analyze with SVRT, that says (media type MPEG4, resolution 3840x2160, frame 25, bitrate 94452, workload save 100%)
it still take 45 sec to render ? (Render says using SVRT5)

Is this normal ?
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with Hatti.
Considering the potential higher quality working direct with the source material, the less work/chance for errors in case of rework, I would consider to follow your option 1, but keep the number of files/segments as small as possible (per vacation day?), do the editing and redering and in a last step edit (and render) the results together into one movie (or is that your option 2 already?) If SVRT works it should not be too bad?

Warry
Greg84065
Newbie Location: Riverton, Utah Joined: Oct 14, 2013 23:38 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote thanks
But... strangly enough, if I try to take a unmodified 4K clip (19sec long) , place it on the timeline.
Analyze with SVRT, that says (media type MPEG4, resolution 3840x2160, frame 25, bitrate 94452, workload save 100%)
it still take 45 sec to render ? (Render says using SVRT5)

Is this normal ?

What I have found is that SVRT does not help much in your Option 1 scenario, because typically I end up rendering into an MPEG2 at a lower quality resolution (like Full HD instead of 4K). Hence I prefer more of your Option 2 where I break my video into segments and do all the editing/clipping/voice-over, etc. within each segment. So for example, on a 4 day vacation, I may create a project file for each Day. Then, after I have edited and rendered in Day segment, I would create a final PD project file which would simply contain the rendered video from each day. I might add some sort of transition or Segway between each segment, but overall the final project is much simpler.

This is when SVRT really helps! When it comes time to render the final project video with all the individual Day segments, SVRT will skip right over the Day segments because they have already been rendered, saving tremendous amounts of time in the final rendering phase.

Hopefully this helps.