Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Looking for a FX Camera Viewfinder
TeeMan1 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 03, 2014 01:41 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
After reviewing and implementing tips from Jim over at SharperTurtle's EXCELLENT Tutorial on how to create a camera flash and shutter sound, I wanted to add an additional FX to the process by adding something similar to the one used on the TV show NCIS Los Angeles. At the start of each scene and again as they end the scene before they go to commercial break, they take snapshots of the actors in a kind of freeze frame sequence.

The effect is in essence what one would see if they were looking through the viewfinder of a camera right before taking take a shot.

I checked the PowerDirector FX Room but could not find anything that would work for what I need.

I also thought of grabbing an existing photo of a camera viewfinder and making the background transparent to see if that would work.

Does anyone have an idea if an FX of this type exists?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 17. 2018 01:10

TeeMan
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The fx that you want is Viewfinder packaged in NewBlue Video Essentials V. Here is the link: https://www.cyberlink.com/products/partner-plug-ins/partner-newblue_en_US.html .

There are several camcorder record templates as frames and as particles in the DirectorZone that you can use for free. You can use your own suggestion about modifying a camera viewfinder image.
TeeMan1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The fx that you want is Viewfinder packaged in NewBlue Video Essentials V. Here is the link: https://www.cyberlink.com/products/partner-plug-ins/partner-newblue_en_US.html .

There are several camcorder record templates as frames and as particles in the DirectorZone that you can use for free. You can use your own suggestion about modifying a camera viewfinder image.

Tomasc:
Thank you for your response. I looked at the NB Viewfinder and it might work assuming I can edit out the flashing red light. I'll also check DZ to see what's there. Had not thought of going thereundecided

Thanks,

Toney TeeMan
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi TeeMan1 -

I couldn't think of a way of editing out the flashing red light in the NB FX... until tomasc pointed out what I should have checked!

There are some simple overlays attached that may suit your purpose. No animation - just the graphic.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Viewfinders.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
290 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
223 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2018 15:35

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Easy to remove the flashing record light in the NewBlue FX. Place it on the fx track. Double click on it and you have 14 options like toggle rec, battery, focus box, outline, counter, B/W, and a presettable timer on/off. It is fully customable and the best as expected from NB. I love it. Easily worth the $129. Barry has a link where you can get it for about $50.

I always like user contributions and will check out Tony’s attachment later when I get home.
TeeMan1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi TeeMan1 -

I couldn't think of a way of editing out the flashing red light in the NB FX... until tomasc pointed out what I should have checked!

There are some simple overlays attached that may suit your purpose. No animation - just the graphic.

Cheers - Tony

Tony:

Thanks for the insight. I will give that a shot. This is fun stuff collaborating.

Toney TeeMan
TeeMan1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Easy to remove the flashing record light in the NewBlue FX. Place it on the fx track. Double click on it and you have 14 options like toggle rec, battery, focus box, outline, counter, B/W, and a presettable timer on/off. It is fully customable and the best as expected from NB. I love it. Easily worth the $129. Barry has a link where you can get it for about $50.

I always like user contributions and will check out Tony’s attachment later when I get home.

Tomasc, are you referencing the NBFX product available for U.S. $50?

Barry, if you happen to see this, I would be interested in purchasing this product.

By the way, does anyone know if there is a MB limit on the size of file that can be attached to a post. I had an 8MB 7 second or so video that I wanted to post of the actual effect I'm looking for but for some reason, it would not upload. Thought of zipping the file.

Thanks one and all,

Toney TeeMan
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Toney -

Re: Attachments - there's no size limit, but I've had "the forum" totally choke (at times) with even modest sized attachments. Jeff (JL_JL) had the same problem recently & so did Andrej Svajger.

Most of the time I don't even bother with attachments. Uploading to Google Drive is faster & more reliable.

I don't know about the NBFX $50 link tomasc mentioned, but here's Barry's website or you can contact him by PM.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
TeeMan1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Toney -

Re: Attachments - there's no size limit, but I've had "the forum" totally choke (at times) with even modest sized attachments. Jeff (JL_JL) had the same problem recently & so did Andrej Svajger.

Most of the time I don't even bother with attachments. Uploading to Google Drive is faster & more reliable.

I don't know about the NBFX $50 link tomasc mentioned, but here's Barry's website or you can contact him by PM.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony:

I tested all six of the samples you sent and they worked out fine.

Here is a link to the original viewfinder that I was wanting to emulate https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iwIGV6YjZu2Y5w1fxmSLx8L6d6yxzNVK

Here is what I ended up creating using templates that you sent me. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TyPars0z7hwfGkpMEzyJ8EAjwL0588aw

Much thanks to Jim over at SharperTurtle who got me started on this with his tutorial on creating a flash effect using a Len's Flare from the FX room.

I am in the final stages of producing a 2 hour documentary. There are about 40 different people that are mentioned during this course of this film. I thought how cool it would be to indroduce those 40 participants with an old Polaroid style photo with a flash and shutter sound.

I am adding the viewfinder, Len's Flare flash when their picture comes up on the screen as the narrator announces them.

One other thing, since I could not find the border I needed in PhotoDirector, I used Corel Paintshop Pro to put a border on the Jpeg's. With the help you, Tomasc and Jim, provided, I am now off the races putting the wraps on this project hopefully in the next few weeks.

Again, thank for everyone's help.

Toney

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 17. 2018 01:04

TeeMan
TeeMan1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Toney -

Cheers - Tony

Tony, by the way, thanks for the tip on setting up a Google Drive to upload short vids/files for share on collab's. It worked like a charm. Thanks wise one from down under.

Best,

Toney TeeMan
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
You have done well in your slideshow. The last two outdoor shots does not need a flash in my opinion. Here is the post where Barry supplies the link to get the NBFX packs for $49: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/76397.page . You are bypassing the Cyberlink store to get it at the reduced price. Be sure to let them know that it is for PowerDirector if you decide to buy it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 17. 2018 10:25

TeeMan1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You have done well in your slideshow. The last two outdoor shots does not need a flash in my opinion. Here is the post where Barry supplies the link to get the NBFX packs for $49: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/76397.page . You are bypassing the Cyberlink store to get it at the reduced price. Be sure to let them know that it is for PowerDirector if you decide to buy it.

Tomasc:

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I will jump on the NBFX pack shortly.

Regarding the two outdoor shoots, in fact all of the shots, I just grabbed some photos from my library and threw them in the timeline. Since they were just examples, I did not really pay to much attention to the type of photo used. In the documentary that I'm editing, all 40 people or so are all indoors. Pretty excited on my end to see how this is going to turn out.

Again, thanks for your help

Toney TeeMan
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Pleased my tutorial could play a small part in your project!

--Jim
TeeMan1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Pleased my tutorial could play a small part in your project!

--Jim

Jim, you have no idea how much The Sharper Turtle has helped literally millions of PD users. You and Maliek are true artisans of your respective craft.

Best,

Toney TeeMan