Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to make a time lapse out of a video
DangerIndustries [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 16, 2016 17:51 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Ive been using powerdirecto for years now. When I take a video and speed it up using the powertools, I cant watch it before producing. What can I do other than using pictures. I find the pictures to look out of place beside the other clips.

Thanks!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Ive been using powerdirecto for years now. When I take a video and speed it up using the powertools, I cant watch it before producing. What can I do other than using pictures. I find the pictures to look out of place beside the other clips.

Thanks!

Looking at the title of your post not sure if you are making a comment about your computer limitations or looking for a way to do a project. You need more tools such as that available in PhotoDirector. See this recent post : https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/76641.page#313626 . Hope this helps.
[Post New]

Looking at the title of your post not sure if you are making a comment about your computer limitations or looking for a way to do a project. You need more tools such as that available in PhotoDirector. See this recent post : https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/76641.page#313626 . Hope this helps.

My computer should be powerful enough. It 1 year old, I5 intel with GTX 960M graphics card and 16gb of ram. Its fine until it previews a tine lapse done using the powertools to speed up the footage up to 50x. What am I doing wrong?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My computer should be powerful enough. It 1 year old, I5 intel with GTX 960M graphics card and 16gb of ram. Its fine until it previews a tine lapse done using the powertools to speed up the footage up to 50x. What am I doing wrong?

I didn't think it could be done. I just tried a 50x speedup on the sample kite Surfing sample video clip and on a 720p longer one, It previewed correctly both in the Video speed designer and preview screen at high resolution with no hardware acceleration checked in preferences and no shadow files.

Wait for other user suggestions and comments. Maybe they will suggest shadow files, lowering preview resolution, buying a different computer, etc. At least you made me aware that my pc can handle a 50x speedup on a video clip and display it properly.

Thanks for bringing this up. Other users can perform this same test on their pc and report what they find.
[Post New]

I didn't think it could be done. I just tried a 50x speedup on the sample kite Surfing sample video clip and on a 720p longer one, It previewed correctly both in the Video speed designer and preview screen at high resolution with no hardware acceleration checked in preferences and no shadow files.

Wait for other user suggestions and comments. Maybe they will suggest shadow files, lowering preview resolution, buying a different computer, etc. At least you made me aware that my pc can handle a 50x speedup on a video clip and display it properly.

Thanks for bringing this up. Other users can perform this same test on their pc and report what they find.

Awesome! Ive been doing it a lot. I do exclusively use 1080p however wich slows it down. Its so simple to use this method. I tried the things you mentioned, none seem to make a difference. Im currently looking at buying a camera that can do a timelapse on the sd card. Thank you.
[Post New]

Awesome! Ive been doing it a lot. I do exclusively use 1080p however wich slows it down. Its so simple to use this method. I tried the things you mentioned, none seem to make a difference. Im currently looking at buying a camera that can do a timelapse on the sd card. Thank you.

Hi 'DangerIndustries'
From the title, I had assumed you were attempting to make a time-lapse only from an existing video...
Then at the end you say you're looking to buy a camera that can shoot timelapse onto the sd card - hence, you're looking to make fresh timelapse projects...

I have never attempted to speed up a video so fast as to make a timelapse - I've always used a series of photographs taken at a precise interval.
Say you set a camera to take a photo every 2 seconds. You insert these photos onto your time line in PD15 (You can pick up and drop 1000 at a time so it doesn't take forever !) then set the duration of each photo to be 1/25th of a second (One frame assuming your project is 25 frames per second).
Bingo - One timelapse video is readily produced that is 50 x real time.
You will find that the most basic stills camera can shoot far higher resolution than the 1920x1080 required for your projects.
In fact, most will happily shoot over 3840x2160 so you can produce 4K videos as well (Future proofing ?)
You will find that many photo editing software programs will let you crop and process your captured images as a 'Batch' process, hence you can choose the video 'Area' from your captured images. (Or even pan across them)
Really good timelapse producers will shoot all their images in RAW format and then batch process them before using PD to produce the video at the end...
Don't limit your camera choice to one that can produce an automatic timelapse video on the card - choose a camera that can shoot precise intervals and play with that.
I find that the limit I hit is powering my digital SLR camera to take the 1000 or so shots I'm trying to capture ! (Batteries run out)
Incidentaly, if I was trying to make a timelapse from an existing video - I'd grab single images at set intervals from the video - Several photo editing programs can do this automatically for you. (You may have received one if you bought PD as part of a Cyberlink suite). Play with the images to get the look you like and then place into PD at the end...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2018 11:00