Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
suddenly video is just blank/black screen on playback
rogbngp [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2018 09:00 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Using Powerdirector 16. Just installed it yesterday, currently patched. Getting familiar with the interface. Have used Windows Movie Maker a bit, so somewhat familiar with the most rudimentary basics of editing.

I'm editing together what is, by the time it's finished, going to be a pretty lengthy film analysis video. Somewhere in the 60-90 minutes range, I think.

I'm only 13 minutes in at this point. This morning after adding some content, suddenly when I try to view what I've assembled thus far on playback ("view entire movie") I'm just seeing a black screen. I can select content from my photo and video media files and see it there. But not when I try to view the movie. I do have sound. But the screen is black for the video.

Hopefully this can be remedied with some sort of setting adjustment?...

However when deciding which video editing program to purchase I noticed on a PC Magazine comparison of such software that there is a limit of "100 video tracks" to Powerdirector 16. Wasn't really sure what that meant. Really hoping that it doesn't mean I'm limited to 100 media files per project!

If so, do you just break up the film into separate projects consisting of less than 100 files, and then join them together somehow?

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jul 09. 2018 09:50

rogbngp [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just tried deleting a number of files in order to check if I could view the project where I had left off with it last night, when it had only 39 total media files. And I could view it then. But I'm still getting just a black screen for the video on playback with the number of files trimmed down as such. So that makes me more hopeful that it's just some setting adjustment I need to make.

This morning I created some new title files by placing existing ones in the film, editing them, and saving them as new title templates. Perhaps that sheds light on what could possibly be the problem now?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 09. 2018 10:09

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just tried deleting a number of files in order to check if I could view the project where I had left off with it last night, when it had only 39 total media files. And I could view it then. But I'm still getting just a black screen for the video on playback with the number of files trimmed down as such. So that makes me more hopeful that it's just some setting adjustment I need to make.

This morning I created some new title files by placing existing ones in the film, editing them, and saving them as new title templates. Perhaps that sheds light on what could possibly be the problem now?

Firstly, make sure the video track has a tick in the little square box on the left of the track. Secondly, make sure that you have not removed the source files for your project. For instance, if you loaded from an SD card and not from your hard drive and you have removed the SD card the timeline will have only black images. Note that a PDS file is only a text file that directs PD where to look for the source files.

One other possibility. Is your material .MOV?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 09. 2018 10:43

rogbngp [Avatar]
[Post New]

Firstly, make sure the video track has a tick in the little square box on the left of the track. Secondly, make sure that you have not removed the source files for your project. For instance, if you loaded from an SD card and not from your hard drive and you have removed the SD card the timeline will have only black images. Note that a PDS file is only a text file that directs PD where to look for the source files.

One other possibility. Is your material .MOV?

Thanks, I must have accidentally clicked on the box for the video track to uncheck it, lol. I clicked the box to put a checkmark in it and all is well.

Project is stored on computer hard drive. The video files I'm using are m4a.

Thanks again! cool

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 09. 2018 13:28