Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Use of 'zoom' facility in movie not burning correctly
keefy [Avatar]
Member Location: Isle of Wight Joined: Aug 19, 2008 09:20 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I have been a PD user for many years, and have a reasonable amount of experience, but since PD16 I have noticed a really annoying issue.

I often use the Tools/PowerTools/Crop&Zoom facility to 'get in closer' especially with GoPro clips (but the same happens with my conventional Sony movie camera). I start with a full screen frame, move the curser to the clip end, create a keyframe marker and then crop to a 'zoom in' position. This plays OK on my computer playback - So far so good.

When I create a .mpg2 file of the complete one hour film it plays back OK on the computer and, after copying it to a separate drive and playing it back through the USB input on the TV, that is OK too.

However, I prefer to create DVDs and Blu Ray discs, so that I can use menus and make it all look more professional, and this is where the issue comes to light. Every time I use the 'zooming in' action, the picture becomes squashed - i.e. people look short and dumpy! I can only assume that the 'burning to disc' process is causing distortion in those areas.

This 'squashing effect' appears on both DVDs and BluRay discs and I am desperate to find a solution.

I don't want to negate all my 'zooming clips', but at present this looks like my only option.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Cheers
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi keefy -

I don't usually burn any kind of discs, but I've just tried to replicate your issue & failed.

I modified a short project containing multiple clips by applying some (quite extreme) crop & zoom to various clips in the project... then burnt to both BR & DVD. In both cases I created a folder as well. Discs were burnt at maximum speed on my system.

On the PC, the video files created in "My Video" (.m2ts & .VOB) played back without distortion at any point (cropped & zoomed or not).

Similarly, both discs played back without distortion in 3 different players.

Perhaps if you produced the project to a video file/files & used the produced file/files to burn your discs it may overcome the glitch.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi keefy -

I don't usually burn any kind of discs, but I've just tried to replicate your issue & failed.

I modified a short project containing multiple clips by applying some (quite extreme) crop & zoom to various clips in the project... then burnt to both BR & DVD. In both cases I created a folder as well. Discs were burnt at maximum speed on my system.

On the PC, the video files created in "My Video" (.m2ts & .VOB) played back without distortion at any point (cropped & zoomed or not).

Similarly, both discs played back without distortion in 3 different players.

Perhaps if you produced the project to a video file/files & used the produced file/files to burn your discs it may overcome the glitch.

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony

Thank you very much for taking the time & trouble to check out my issue.

I guess that it must be a problem unique to me - maybe I should try an uninstall/reinstall. I keep thinking that I am overstreaching my computer with a project of an hour in length, but I cannot really work out why it is happening.

We are away for a couple of weeks, but I'll continue to investigate when we get back - with yet more footage to process!

Thanks again
Keith
kungsangun [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 26, 2014 18:35 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

Hi Tony

Thank you very much for taking the time & trouble to check out my issue.

I guess that it must be a problem unique to me - maybe I should try an uninstall/reinstall. I keep thinking that I am overstreaching my computer with a project of an hour in length, but I cannot really work out why it is happening.

We are away for a couple of weeks, but I'll continue to investigate when we get back - with yet more footage to process!

Thanks again
Keith

I have a similar problem to this and was looking in the forum for a solution when I found this thread.
When I use the zoom feature it is not smooth and suddenly jumps to the squashed situation you describe. When I preview the video in PD it works perfectly but when I render to ANY format it happens not just DVD.

After reading your post I wonder if it is an installed codec issue...

Glad to see I'm not the only one!
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]

I have a similar problem to this and was looking in the forum for a solution when I found this thread.
When I use the zoom feature it is not smooth and suddenly jumps to the squashed situation you describe. When I preview the video in PD it works perfectly but when I render to ANY format it happens not just DVD.

After reading your post I wonder if it is an installed codec issue...

Glad to see I'm not the only one!

Hello

I agree with you that it is comforting to know that one is not alone, and in this case, I evenutally found a solution that worked for me.

My project actually consisted of two types of frame rate, ie. a camcorder at 25fps, and a GoPro that recorded at 50fps. I deduced that my 'distortion' was happening only on the GoPro clips. My experimenting in an effort to find a solution, led me to change the Frame Rate in the 'Preferences' to 50fps (from 25fps), and I am delighted to say that it did the trick.

I hope that it works for you too.

K
kungsangun [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 26, 2014 18:35 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

Hello

I agree with you that it is comforting to know that one is not alone, and in this case, I evenutally found a solution that worked for me.

My project actually consisted of two types of frame rate, ie. a camcorder at 25fps, and a GoPro that recorded at 50fps. I deduced that my 'distortion' was happening only on the GoPro clips. My experimenting in an effort to find a solution, led me to change the Frame Rate in the 'Preferences' to 50fps (from 25fps), and I am delighted to say that it did the trick.

I hope that it works for you too.

K

I'm afraid that won't be the case for me. My issue is on the original clip. I used the Action Camera to create a time shift of 1/2 speed and then pan/zoom to highlight a specific portion of the same clip. (My son playing in football games). It works wonderfully in the PD preview but when rendered to a video file .mpg or mp4 it jumps to the zoomed portion and is distorted.
I'll keep plugging away at it. It's not a critical commercial video.