Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"ghost" segment after the end of a clip: how to isolate and remove?
JohnG777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2017 13:06 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Rather frustrating to see a video blip of a few frames after the end of a clip. Tried everything I could think of, but the blip continues. Apparently "Remove" does not actually work all the time. Any suggestions?
JohnG777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Rather frustrating to see a video blip of a few frames after the end of a clip. Tried everything I could think of, but the blip continues. Apparently "Remove" does not actually work all the time. Any suggestions?

I found a way to resolve the problem when it happens: (1) Start at the supposed end of the video. (2) Step forward one frame at a time until the first "ghost" (unwanted) frame appears. (3) Press the Delete key. Repeat as needed. I found no other way to reveal those frames AND remove them. Maybe there's another way to avoid this situation altogether.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Edit - just re-read your second post and I think that my answer is what you are already doing (you are going to the end by pressing the "End" key on the keyboard aren't you). I don't see a way to avoid having to go to the end several times if you're way of working creates multiple empty spaces on the timeline/s smile.

Second thought - Assuming you are using the "End" key, then that will take you to the end of the last 'orphan'. You can now hold down your left mouse buton and drag backwards across the timeline to where you want to finish and everything in that region will be selected. Just one delete will then get rid of everything.

Third try - I've misunderstood haven't I undecided. You are talking about removing gaps in the timeline and want to remove all of them in one go. It's a question that has come up in the past but I don't know of a way to do it. However, I wonder why those gaps are appearing in the first place. I'd suggest that you check your preferences and make sur that in the "Editing" section you have got "Enable snap to clips in timeline" ticked.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at May 08. 2018 03:23

JohnG777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Edit - just re-read your second post and I think that my answer is what you are already doing (you are going to the end by pressing the "End" key on the keyboard aren't you). I don't see a way to avoid having to go to the end several times if you're way of working creates multiple empty spaces on the timeline/s smile.

Second thought - Assuming you are using the "End" key, then that will take you to the end of the last 'orphan'. You can now hold down your left mouse buton and drag backwards across the timeline to where you want to finish and everything in that region will be selected. Just one delete will then get rid of everything.

Third try - I've misunderstood haven't I undecided. You are talking about removing gaps in the timeline and want to remove all of them in one go. It's a question that has come up in the past but I don't know of a way to do it. However, I wonder why those gaps are appearing in the first place. I'd suggest that you check your preferences and make sur that in the "Editing" section you have got "Enable snap to clips in timeline" ticked.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! About your first thought: At my current level of expertise... I place the vertical marker and line to be very near to the end of the last segment and it usually snaps to the "end" (yes, "Enable snap to clips in timeline" is checked).

About your second thought: I have not been using the End key. Thanks for the tip! However I have been checking for problems by placing the vertical line past the end of the last desired segment. When doing that, it wasn't clear that the undesired frames had been selected. However pressing the Delete key does delete them and snaps the vertical line back to the end of the desired segment.

I suspect that some of my unwanted gaps/frames are because of occasionally using CTRL+C and CTRL+V to cut and paste, then not paying enough attention to placement of the vertical line (I should expand the timeline when I do that, for more granualarity of view). It's also possible that I am misinterpreting the effect of some of the "insert" options in different editing contexts.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for taking the time to respond! About your first thought: At my current level of expertise... I place the vertical marker and line to be very near to the end of the last segment and it usually snaps to the "end" (yes, "Enable snap to clips in timeline" is checked).

About your second thought: I have not been using the End key. Thanks for the tip! However I have been checking for problems by placing the vertical line past the end of the last desired segment. When doing that, it wasn't clear that the undesired frames had been selected. However pressing the Delete key does delete them and snaps the vertical line back to the end of the desired segment.

I suspect that some of my unwanted gaps/frames are because of occasionally using CTRL+C and CTRL+V to cut and paste, then not paying enough attention to placement of the vertical line (I should expand the timeline when I do that, for more granualarity of view). It's also possible that I am misinterpreting the effect of some of the "insert" options in different editing contexts.

Hi John

Referring to your third point. If copying and pasting was your problem you would not be able to remove the "ghosting" frame by frame as you describe because it simply would not be there. A gap is just a gap which would show as a black area in the preview screen. It would not be attached to any clip. Your ghosting must a part of the actual clip for you to be able to remove it. Is it possible that you had a fade transition at the end of the clip. Did you perhaps overlap and then select crossfade and then split the clip leaving the crossfade.

It would help if you could describe the ghosting in a little more detail and perhaps post a screen shot

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 08. 2018 13:00

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
JohnG777 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi John

Referring to your third point. If copying and pasting was your problem you would not be able to remove the "ghosting" frame by frame as you describe because it simply would not be there. A gap is just a gap which would show as a black area in the preview screen. It would not be attached to any clip. Your ghosting must a part of the actual clip for you to be able to remove it. Is it possible that you had a fade transition at the end of the clip. Did you perhaps overlap and then select crossfade and then split the clip leaving the crossfade.

It would help if you could describe the ghosting in a little more detail and perhaps post a screen shot

Yes I have used the Fade effect and others, and that appears to set up a situation where the reported problem appears. I'm now more cautious about applying those effects, and wait to do so until just prior to Produce. It would be nice if there was a consolidated tip sheet that suggests a pattern of using PowerDirector that avoids this and other problems during editing. Most of the self-help videos appear to be either product sales tools, or general intro briefings. Of course there is the official manual. :
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Yes I have used the Fade effect and others, and that appears to set up a situation where the reported problem appears. I'm now more cautious about applying those effects, and wait to do so until just prior to Produce. It would be nice if there was a consolidated tip sheet that suggests a pattern of using PowerDirector that avoids this and other problems during editing. Most of the self-help videos appear to be either product sales tools, or general intro briefings. Of course there is the official manual. :

I think if you investigate it in depth, you will find the vast majority of tutorials are made by the members of this forum and some other private individuals who strive to keep this forum a place of learning without involving CL. Yes, there are official CL tutorials, but they are by far outweighed by the likes of PD Toots and Maliek's PD University and many more.

There's even an online magazine, PDNews. Written by the members of this forum for the members of this forum. You can find it here. https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/65951.page

Enjoy! Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,