Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can I produce video in yuv 444 or 422?
cyberfun3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 13, 2018 10:15 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
All of my produced video is rendered in yuv 420. Does powerdirector support rendering in yuv 422 or yuv 444?

Just want to improve the quality of my video rendering. AMD FX8300 8core 3.3Ghz,16GbDDR3
256Gb SSD,GTX1050 2Gb.Nvidia 391.24
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
As an Engineer, I haven't taken the time to look up what all that 4xx stuff means. But speaking as a (pragmatic) engineer, can one really tell the difference in quality? Especially nowadays when most people view on subpar dispalys and/or tiny size?

Perhaps I'm cynical from my college days, when we (inclding me back then) used to argue about freq response and THD in stereos. Or later, whether CD's or vinyl sound better.

For me, with my old eyes, the only 'distortion' I notice is pixelation/blockiness from the compression algorithms. (Even when I went to a movie theater and paid to watch a professionally produced Blu-Ray for the Big Screen.)
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Quote All of my produced video is rendered in yuv 420. Does powerdirector support rendering in yuv 422 or yuv 444?

Just want to improve the quality of my video rendering.

No, it can not render them. And, as far as I know, it cannot read them. If shadow files are used, the shadow files are in yuv 4:2:0 mp4.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Actually, YES!
It involves installing PD as a 32 bit application by removing the 64bit installer. I have done this with my trusty PD12 and use it for analog lossless capture, but I can also produce.

However...
You lose benefit of 64bit performance, so that is why I use an older version of PD and keep current version as is.
You need to download and install the K-lite mega-pack which I think includes the VFW interface.
You need to download lossless codecs if that is what you need, though VFW also has it own bundle including AVC.
VFW seems to top out at 1024x768 and does not support widescreen.
You will also have access to DivX codec which does full HD and widescreen, but lacks control over color space.

It's a whole new way to utilize PowerDirector, but has it's limits, though I may have missed a few backdoors as I only use it to capture and process older analog (VHS) video. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT