Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 8 - DVD Menu
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
New DVD menu system far better than PD7; have successfully done small projects with multiple layers (e.g. 3 project files each with own chapters; returning to menu after playing each section)

Initially tried some larger projects - 2330 mb approx on disc; caused PD 8 to crash

MotionMenuGeneratior Application has stopped working etc

at 1%; then freezes PD 8 up

Anyone else found this?

This lead to trying smaller projects - approx 300 mb; which worked fine

Disc burning does seem to take a long time though?
[Thumb - PD 8.jpg]
 Filename
PD 8.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
270 time(s)
Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
Uriel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2009 08:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hmm, I am getting the same thing. I get a runtime error with motionmenugenerator abnormal termination at 9%. My project is 4.8GB. I have not been able to create a DVD. I tried to reinstall with UAC turned off but still same issue.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I think it was good intent, but failed execution in this initial PD8 release. Several nice new features, but several good features in PD7 not carried over. I've played around in the menu system for maybe an hour and noticed the following.
1) Can not create Blu Ray folders, PD7 could
2) Only BDMV Blu Ray format to disc supported, PD7 also had BDAV which is the most compatible format, especially for older players
3) Can't remove music from background video on templates except through xml editing
4) Can't turn off video thumbnails, PD7 could.
5) Crashes often, I had about 3 crashes while playing around for an hour. I can't think of a single menu crash I had in PD7
6) PD7 menus are not 100% compatible.
7) I've gotten several MotionMenuGenerator errors
8 ) I've gotten several SVRT profile rule violations which terminate DVD folder creation. Oddly it was a pds file that worked fine in PD7.
9) Have to rename a menu everytime you modifiy it, also happens in PD7
10) Background music and intro not saved with menus, only through xml edits

As I said, it does have some nice new features (layered menus, multiple title, return options on titles), however, if these issues surface in simply an hour of playing in the DVD menu area then CL QA and R&D have let the paid user community down. If items were found and not corrected, worse yet.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 05. 2009 20:08

Earle [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2009 18:46 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Same issue. I' trying to build a Blu-Ray with minimal menu structure on PD8. I do have 26 chapters. recorded at, and keeping at 1440X1080. 33 minutes of video, so not especially big. I was successful with 6 minutes, though.

I get the MotionMenuGeneratior message from windows vista, (64 bit) not PowerDirector. PowerDirector finally tells me I have broken files or too little memory. It can't be broken files, though, because I can use the "produce" button to create the same movie to my hard drive.

I bought a new computer just for HD video editing. It is a CoreI7 920 with 6GB DDR3, Radeon 4850, and a 1TB hard drive.

I'm trying out PowerDirector 8 using the trial version, so I'm on a 29-day quest to see if this can be fixed.

Help if anyone can. PowerDirector has great, easy-to-use features. But this is why I bought the computer, and I really need a product that'll work. REM
Uriel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2009 08:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have been back and forth with support and they have not been able to resolve the issue. Not sure if you are going to get much support since the assumption is that something is wrong with your PC. They will tell you to uninstall and reinstall plus make sure you clear cache on your machine. I also have a high end system with Windows Vista 64. The other program I bought has no issues with creating DVDs and Blu-Ray's. Not going to endorse the program but I like it better then PowerDirector. Sorry I couldn't help but I have been though it and its sad since toptenreviews.com rated this program number one and I couldn't getting working.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Earle,

Look at this post
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7004.page#28080
If they didn't correct this in PD8 I'm sure with 26 chapters and now video thumbnails you easily violated the 1GB DVD limit for menus. I'd make a backup copy of your pds file and remove all your chapters and see if it burns. I know, not a fix for your needs, it really appears that the new "Create Disc" module is alpha code at best. Very hard to believe competent programers, CL QA, beta testers..... would even release something like this, but they did it with the initial release of PD7 too. It too had a new "Create Disc" module relative to PD6 and it was close to a yr and many patches latter that it final performed okay.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 09. 2009 21:25

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Thank you everyone. I've updated CyberLink on your concerns and referenced the above posts.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Peter Ozpeter [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 10, 2008 20:51 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem here with a 22 minute project with four or five chapters.

While on the subject of DVD menus, there seem to be only about five or six menu styles built in - is that correct?
Peter Ozpeter [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 10, 2008 20:51 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Workarounds include simply burning with no menu - which for my purposes is actually fine most of the time, as you still get chapters you can skip to, and you don't have to do the extra button pushing to get the DVD to play - or, produce a file in the right format for burning (in my case, AVCHD) then put that into a new project, create chapter markers, create menu, and you'll probably find that burns with no errors. And here at least it seems to take no longer that way than the normal way. The file you produced should be accepted by SVRT for no-render burning.
Earle [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2009 18:46 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks to all for your responses. I've been trying to isolate the issue, and have mixed results.

First, I have burned (with a lot of work) a 25 clip, 25 chapter, 24 transition blu-ray. I haven't tried again with the full 26 clips.

I sliced and diced my original project, creating other, smaller projects from the original. I finally got it to a three-clip, three-chapter, two transitions track that consistently fails to burn, getting the motionmenugeneratior error message. The first transition was "glass2." I created a copy project (save as) from the bad one, removed glass2, and it consistently burns. Or replaced glass2 with pagecurl and it burns. This points strongly to glass2, right?

But no. I replaced glass2 with pagecurl in the big original and it fails. I replaced all transitions with fade and it fails. And here's where it gets weird.

I noticed that the clip that followed where glass2 had been was jerky. If I played the clip it was not jerky, but if i played the movie and positioned the timeline pointer into the prior clip (so that it moved thru the fade/transition) then the next clip was jerky. I thought maybe something in the prior clip was affecting the jerky one, so I trimmed one second from it.

And it worked. The jerky clip was no longer jerky. I tried to burn this fixed movie, and it failed, but much deeper into the project. I found a second jerky clip, changed its transition and trimmed the prior clip, and then the whole movie burned.

All of the clips are 1440x1080, 29.97 framerate clips. As for using SVRT, it is greyed out. I found a post that said Canon HF100 can't use SVRT for some reason. Bummer. I might post a second question about hardware rendering when ATI stream is enabled, but I'm trying to keep the issues posted clean.

The perceptive among you will notice that my earlier post said 26 chapter, and I'm now saying 25. This was in the interest of marital harmony. The missing clip is of my wife saying "that thing isn't on, is it?" to the camcorder that is on (but the Grand Canyon in the background is, indeed, Grand). But in the interest of this experiment I'll try again with the full 26 when I have time.

23 days left. Yes, this is a rewritable BD. REM