Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Mask multiple noncontinuous areas of one video for PIP
[Post New]
I've got two videos of drone which I'd like to PIP together.
Video 1 - screen recorder video from my iphone which has settings of the drone on it.
Video 2 - 4k video from the microsd card of the drone

I'd like to be able to isolate sections from video 1 (see areas marked in read in the attachment) and put them on top of Video 2.

I know how to isolate one area but I don't know how to mask several different areas on the same video. Do I have to lay video 1 in several tracks with each one having a different mask? Is that the only way?

Any step by step instructions would be helpful.
[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
69 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
You can put the video clip with the settings as often on the timeline as you want. And mask out the desired areas.
So:

Drone Video on Track1
Settingsvideo on track2 - mask out area 1 (mask designer)
Settingsvideo on track3 - mask out area 2
Settingsvideo on track 4 - mask out area 3
and so on.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
[Post New]
Quote I've got two videos of drone which I'd like to PIP together.
Video 1 - screen recorder video from my iphone which has settings of the drone on it.
Video 2 - 4k video from the microsd card of the drone

I'd like to be able to isolate sections from video 1 (see areas marked in read in the attachment) and put them on top of Video 2.

I know how to isolate one area but I don't know how to mask several different areas on the same video. Do I have to lay video 1 in several tracks with each one having a different mask? Is that the only way?

Any step by step instructions would be helpful.

I do not know if I understood correctly, it seems to me to put, several information on the screen about the 4K video
My sugestion:
If the information will always stay in the same position.
You can only make a mask, with windows for all videos below, apply to 4k video, in track 1.
This will clear the positions that will show the videos 2, 3 and 4 that will be on the track below.
I made an image as a very rude example, to give an idea.
I used PD16, applying color plates, i create transparency for the background black
To use in PD16, select the background video.
Button, Designer, Mask Designer, Load Image
Invert, if need be.
Finally, fit each video, back in the corresponding window
[Thumb - mask.png]
 Filename
mask.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
18 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2018 08:47

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi KellyfromFlorida -

This is not a direct answer to your question. Hatti & playsound have covered that very well.

It's another possibility that might work for you in future.

Here's an app called Dashware & here's a video showing a guy using it with his DJI clips.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote You can put the video clip with the settings as often on the timeline as you want. And mask out the desired areas.
So:

Drone Video on Track1
Settingsvideo on track2 - mask out area 1 (mask designer)
Settingsvideo on track3 - mask out area 2
Settingsvideo on track 4 - mask out area 3
and so on.

Hatti

Hatti, Thanks for your reply. I figured I could do as you suggested, but I really want to know if I could mask 4 different areas of the screen using 1 mask.
[Post New]
Playsound,

I think your solution will set me on the right path. I've never used "Mask Designer" before and it looks like to do what I want to do I need to first create an image with the mask layout that I want. I was hoping that Mask designer would let me draw a bunch of rectangles around the areas to mask but apparently it is not that simple. When you click "Create Mask" the only choices are to add titles or load an image. Apparently for the image that you load, the black is transparent and the other color is not.

I'm not really clear how you created your image using powerdirector and color boards. I have other tools that I can use to try to build the exact mask that I need.

I will try your solution when I have time. RIght now I need to get to work.

If anyone can point me to a tutorial for creating an image to use as a mask and then loading it in PD as a mask, that would be great.
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Yes. Then PlaySound is your best friend. Look at his sample image: Create a PNG file, set it the same size as your settings video. Set the areas that you want to stay visible from the settingsvideo to white and the other areas to transparent.
That image can be loaded into the mask designer.

So:

Drone Video on Track1

Settingsvideo on track2 - mask desinger - load image. Voila.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
[Post New]
Quote Hi KellyfromFlorida -

This is not a direct answer to your question. Hatti & playsound have covered that very well.

It's another possibility that might work for you in future.

Here's an app called Dashware & here's a video showing a guy using it with his DJI clips.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for the info. I may play around with this in the future.
[Post New]
Hello everybody. I had the chance to play around a bit with a masking in PD 16. Here is what I learned from the folks on this forum and from some experimenting. If anything I say isn't accurate, please correct me.

Yes, you can mask multiple noncontiguious areas of one video. In order to do it, you have to create your own mask. The mask designer tool built into PD16 is limited to buiding masks from titles or from other images. You can just draw a bunch of rectangles in mask designer to create a mask.

Building a mask from an image requires using a separate photo editing software package. Most should be able to do it. In my case, I used Adobe Photoshop Elements 11. The steps involved where:

1. Create a snapshot of the video that you want to mask in PD 16 and save it. (It's the camera icon below the video previewer).

2. Open the snapshot in your photo editor.

3. Create an empty canvas using the pixel dimensions of the video you want to mask.

4. Copy the snapshot onto the canvas and make it fit from edge to edit.

5. Use the selection tool to draw rectangles and circles around the areas that you don't want to mask.

6. Copy the the selections into a new layer.

7. Select everything in the new layer and fill it with black.

8. Save the latest layer as a PNG file.

9. Inside PD16, select the video to mask and go into mask designer. Click the load image and select your PNG file.

Here is a short video of the finished effect: https://youtu.be/MwA-_zcyjPQ

I've attached the mask I ended up using.
[Thumb - dji mask while recording.png]
 Filename
dji mask while recording.png
[Disk]
 Description
PNG mask that I used.
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)