Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why no MKV audio voice?
[Post New]
I have a screen recording done in MKV file format. When I import the MKV file into PD16 I can hear the mouse clicks but I cannot hear the narration.

If I convert the MKV format to AVI and then import into PD16 everything is okay.

Is there any setting(s) to set in PD16 so that I am able to eliminate first converting the MKV file to an AVI format before I import it into PD16?
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
No, there is no setting in PowerDirector.
You seem to have an unsupported audio format in connection with the mkv-container.
Get "MediaInfo" from internet (it's free) and analyse your video file.
Maybe there is a setting in your ScreenRecorder. Try an other video/audio codec combination.
I have a mkv video with MPEG4/AVC video codec and AC3 codec, that works. Also a MPEG4/AVC video codec and AAC(2ch) codec works for me.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
[Post New]
Quote . . . I have a mkv video with MPEG4/AVC video codec and AC3 codec, that works. Also a MPEG4/AVC video codec and AAC(2ch) codec works for me.

Hatti

Thanks Hattie. The only option I apparently have is AFTER the screen recording is completed. I can at that time save it to an AVI, MP4, etc. format. I don't have an option to set the recording BEFORE doing the actual screen recording. If I do not actually save the file, when I have completed a screen recording, then the recording defaults to the MKV format and are default stored in the Videos folder in Windows 10.

Are the codecs that you stated in your post something that I can add to my PC? Maybe I just don't have the correct codecs for when something is recorded in MKV. How would I go about getting the correct codecs?
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, maybe it is a missing codec.
Famous and a good advice is the K-Lite codec pack.
The basic pack will do.
And yor ScreenRecorder sounds weird:
PowerDirector 16 has an own screen recorder. I used it sometimes, because it was the only one, that recorded my whole 3440x1440 screen.
But when I do a small video for tutorial purposes, I use Open Broadcast Studio (OBS).

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
[Post New]
Quote . . . And yor ScreenRecorder sounds weird: . . .
Hatti

I am using Movavi Screen Recorder. I am using it over PD16 because there is not a way for PD16 to highlight the mouse cursor. The MSR is very nice and quite well rated. The only thing I don't like about it is that there is no indicator for when it is on pause versus recording and visa versa. The MSR records native in MKV file format. MSR also provides an extremely nice full screen HD capture @ 1920 x 1080.

The fact that my PC might not have the correct codecs does concern me. My PC specs are indentical to yours except for the video card. I find it strange that PD16 will not pick up the MKV voice track. However, like I said at the end of my screen recording if I save the recording as an MP4 file then all is okay for PD16 to read the video and audio. OR - if I take the native MKV file and convert it to MP4 all is well also within PD16.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 16. 2018 22:58

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dekade -

I know the CL Screen Recorder cannot highlight the cursor (only the clicks) but... Question: If you use CL Screen Recorder and attempt to record both system audio & microphone, are both present in the recording?

I just tested the Movavi Screen Recorder and there is microphone & system audio present in the recording... both the MKV & MP4 I saved it as. Both lots of audio play back correctly in media players & PDR. The side-by-side MediaInfo reports are attached.

The reason I checked is that I thought the MKV may have had 2 separate audio tracks. That's not the case.

I wouldn't be too concerned about "converting". You can see by the MediaInfo reports the properties are pretty much identical.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - MSR MKV-MP4.png]
 Filename
MSR MKV-MP4.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
81 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote Hi Dekade - I know the CL Screen Recorder . . . You can see by the MediaInfo reports the properties are pretty much identical.
Cheers - Tony

Thanks for the input Tony. I've pretty much resorted to outputting the screen recordings in MP4. I output them into a non default folder. I have additionally noticed that the Movavi screen recorder 'additionally' default saves a MKV file in it's default output folder for the screen recorder. So I have both if need ever be.