Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produced file size bigger than original
Jim Clark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 21, 2008 18:40 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I've imported a file that has the format H.264 640x480 and is 17.9mb. When I produce it using the same exact codec and file size, without any editing, the output is 274mb. Why is the file so big? Is the codec not working?

I've even tried other codecs and still get a much larger file size. Why is Powerdirector doing this? Jim Clark
[Post New]
Quote I've imported a file that has the format H.264 640x480 and is 17.9mb. When I produce it using the same exact codec and file size, without any editing, the output is 274mb. Why is the file so big? Is the codec not working?

I've even tried other codecs and still get a much larger file size. Why is Powerdirector doing this?

Try using the SVRT feature.
PD16 will try to render the video in the same format as the original, you may need to create a new profile.
If PD16 can not create a profile, you can do so manually.
In the timeline, right-click on the video, select View Properties, note values, bit rate, Resolution, Frame rate
In Produce Button (+) Create a new profile)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 05. 2018 15:24

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Jim Clark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I've imported a file that has the format H.264 640x480 and is 17.9mb. When I produce it using the same exact codec and file size, without any editing, the output is 274mb. Why is the file so big? Is the codec not working?

I've even tried other codecs and still get a much larger file size. Why is Powerdirector doing this?

Try using the SVRT feature.
PD16 will try to render the video in the same format as the original, you may need to create a new profile.
If PD16 can not create a profile, you can do so manually.
In the timeline, right-click on the video, select View Properties, note values, bit rate, Resolution, Frame rate
In Produce Button (+) Create a new profile)

I tried your suggestion and it did create a smaller file, but it is still 2x the original at 33mb. This is a great improvement but why is PD making the file bigger when I'm not doing any editing to the video?

BTW, the reason I'm not doing anything to the file is to test to see if it is bigger when created in PD. Lately my produced file sizes have been really large and I didn't know why.

I also tried a reinstall but to no effect. Jim Clark
[Post New]
PD has a minimum limit for bitrate (768 kbps), if the original video is even smaller, there is no way.
Also if the original is 4x3 (aspect ratio) and will produce (16x9) increases the file. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Jim Clark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote PD has a minimum limit for bitrate (768 kbps), if the original video is even smaller, there is no way.
Also if the original is 4x3 (aspect ratio) and will produce (16x9) increases the file.

Thanks for your help. Jim Clark
milos1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Slovakia Joined: Sep 06, 2011 15:49 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Quote PD has a minimum limit for bitrate (768 kbps), if the original video is even smaller, there is no way.
Also if the original is 4x3 (aspect ratio) and will produce (16x9) increases the file.

Thanks for your help.

I think there is a way to set lower bitrate than 768kb, but you have to edit your profile manually (I do it with Notepad++) here:
C:\Users\name of user\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\16.0\UserConfigure\Profile.ini
change values for video bitrate, min bitrate, max bitrate, as you want, than save profile. I created some of new profiles that PD16 doesn´t allow, f.e. resolution 854x480 for 16:9 videos, videos with 44,1 kHz sound, etc...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06. 2018 20:18