Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Working with .MOV files
greystone [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 27, 2018 17:49 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Amateur PowerDirector user here, trying to work with .mov files that came from my dashcam. I have three continuous files that I would like to crop, I seem to only be able to crop one file at a time, not all three, when all three are selected crop & zoom is grayed out. Suggestions online are to convert the mov files to a different format. Ideally I'd like to merge them into one file, then do some cropping.

Can PD merge multiple mov files?
Can PD convert mov to an easier to use format with no/minimal loss of data?

Thanks.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Amateur PowerDirector user here, trying to work with .mov files that came from my dashcam. I have three continuous files that I would like to crop, I seem to only be able to crop one file at a time, not all three, when all three are selected crop & zoom is grayed out. Suggestions online are to convert the mov files to a different format. Ideally I'd like to merge them into one file, then do some cropping.

Can PD merge multiple mov files?
Can PD convert mov to an easier to use format with no/minimal loss of data?

Thanks.
You can not crop multiple videos at the same time. Powerdirector will do one at a time only.

There are not many operations you can do on more than one video at a time. Still Images are a different story.

Some MOV files require that you install Quicktime or one of the shorter versions. Quicktime lite?

You can merge multiple videos my Producing the Project. After producing the mov files into one file, you can continue to edit that produced video. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

greystone [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You can not crop multiple videos at the same time. Powerdirector will do one at a time only.

You can merge multiple videos my Producing the Project. After producing the mov files into one file, you can continue to edit that produced video.

I'll likely be in this situation again as the dashcam cretes numerous smaller files. Any suggestions on a format to use for the production phase that will do minimal harm to the video quality?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi greystone -

One option that would save you a lot of time is - rather than use cropping - just resize the first video in the preview window or PiP Designer... the copy the keyframe attributes and paste them to all you other .MOV clips.

What the viewer sees is exactly the same as cropping.

On quality, the more you upssize or crop, the greater the image quality that is lost (unless you're happy to produce to a lower resolution).

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'll likely be in this situation again as the dashcam cretes numerous smaller files. Any suggestions on a format to use for the production phase that will do minimal harm to the video quality?

You could put all those files on the timeline and use SVRT to combine them in to one large mp4 file. This works with some .mov files and then there would be no loss in video quality. You can then perform the crop & zoom on it as desired or what Tony already suggested.
greystone [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote One option that would save you a lot of time is - rather than use cropping - just resize the first video in the preview window or PiP Designer... the copy the keyframe attributes and paste them to all you other .MOV clips.

This sounds promising, but I'm in the PiP Designer and don't see anyway to copy keyframe attributes?

edit: I poked around some other threads and it looks like crop details may not be copyable?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 28. 2018 10:16

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
That's right. If you use Crop & Zoom, keyframe attributes cannot be copied & pasted to other clips.

By adjusting the video size in PiP Designer. you can. The copy/paste keyframe attributes option is only available in the main timeline.

Take a look at this screen capture & you'll see how easy it is.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 28. 2018 12:09

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!