Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Extremely slow thumbnails loading on a timeline
[Post New]
Hi,

Since I upgraded from PDR14 to PDR16 I am struggeling with very slow thumbnails loading on the timeline... It's very annoying, it wasn't like that in PDR14 at all. Yes, the same hardware, the same OS.
Thumbnails are loading only when I am on a point where they are on the timeline, is there a way to turn on cashing in the background? When I restart PDR I need to scroll slowly through timeline and wait for thumbnails to load in... it can take up to 30minutes :/

http://prntscr.com/i1mu7f

Hardware: Intel i7-3720QM overclocked to 3,6GHz on all 4 cores / 8 threads
RAM: 16GB OC to 2100MHz
Win10 with latest uptades

Drives:
C:\\ Samsung Evo 850 500GB as a (where system and PDR are installed)
D:\\ 1TB (where archives and main files that I am working on are stored. 4K footage, 52mbps)
X:\\ 32GB Kingston SSD (where PDR keeps all cashing files and shadow files)
blasiusxx [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 12, 2011 09:44 Messages: 330 Offline
[Post New]
I confirmed that. It's the same for me. PD15 shows the movie preview in the timeline much faster, than PD16.

I have both versions installed, and you can compare directly with each other. The images of the Movies in the timeline are displayed much faster in PD15, in PD16 it takes forever, and then usually only in the section in which one is currently.
[Post New]
Thanks for confirming that. I am struggling with that few months now and was thinking that this might be something wrong with my setup. Next month I am building new machine based on Ryzen 1800X, GTX1060, NVME drive etc. so if it will be so slow again an a new PC and fresh OS this means there is definitely something messed up with PDR16.
Andy11800 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 02, 2017 09:02 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for confirming that. I am struggling with that few months now and was thinking that this might be something wrong with my setup. Next month I am building new machine based on Ryzen 1800X, GTX1060, NVME drive etc. so if it will be so slow again an a new PC and fresh OS this means there is definitely something messed up with PDR16.

Just an FYI, since upgrading from PD 15 to 16, I on occasion can't get thumbnails from saved files to load at all, When I am able to get them to load and edit, then try to create disk PROGRAM CRASHES, Have sent trouble report to TECH support but no response yet. Think there are some Major BUGS in16
[Post New]
well... it is saying that it's saving thumbnails but from my observation it's not taking them back when loading. Every time I am going back to my project it all needs to load up from beginning. Although I am not rescaling time-line size...
I have seen also one more thing - thumbnails are generating from a main file, not from a shadow file which could make it much, much faster especially if you work on 4K footage.
blasiusxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think it does not matter which hardware you use. I have a very fast system, but that does not help.

The problems are due to PD16. I have thus - in contrast to PD15 - also found qualitative. And on two different systems.

Anyway, when it comes to creating 1080i BD Discs Movies.

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64952.page

That's why I'm working with PD15 again because it's faster and gives better results. And the Thumbnails Preview in the Timeline in PD15 works very much faster. With or without Shadow Files. In PD16 it seems, like it hangs all the Time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2018 09:34

[Post New]
I get your point... Previously I bought PDR14 and now went straight to 16. I like 16 because it can scroll timeline horizontally with a mouse wheel which I find very handy and can choose different shadow files res. I don't want to buy PDR15 now because 16 is not working correctly :/ Hope it will be fixed ASAP.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2018 09:44

blasiusxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
I own a Intel Core i7 8700, GTX1060, NVME PCIe SSD Samsung Evo 960 and 32GB of Ram (3200) on a ASUS Z370-H. Windows 10 Pro and all Drivers up to date.

PD15 with latest Patch runs very good and fast, PD16 not. These Bugs are from First Release, and nothing changes until yet.

I reported bugs to support, but no answer.

Cyberlink has always been slow in terms of troubleshooting. I'm not waiting for half a year or more now until the bugs in PD16 are fixed. Or maybe not. Next time I will not buy it.
PD15 went very well and was a good base. I do not understand why did Cyberlink change a lot, and then released such a buggy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2018 10:03

[Post New]
Now I am getting my doubts regarding PowerDirector... I shoud step up to Adobe if its happening a lot with CyberLink
BTW. Is anyone from Cyberlink reading threads here or should we report it more massively to them by tickets? :p

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2018 10:04

Andy11800 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 02, 2017 09:02 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Now I am getting my doubts regarding PowerDirector... I shoud step up to Adobe if its happening a lot with CyberLink
BTW. Is anyone from Cyberlink reading threads here or should we report it more massively to them by tickets? :p

Apparently NOT. Now I think I know why the "upgrade" from PD 15 was 70% offinnocent
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Now I am getting my doubts regarding PowerDirector... I shoud step up to Adobe if its happening a lot with CyberLink

Cyberlink does not regularly monitor the forum.

The forum is members just like yourself.

If you want offical Cyberlink, you must file a support ticket.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Please see this post on the same issue :
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64871.page

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
[Post New]
Quote The forum is members just like yourself.
If you want offical Cyberlink, you must file a support ticket.
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

Thank you for that, wasn't sure
Quote Hi,
Please see this post on the same issue :
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64871.page
Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

It seems that for user "voom" shadow files helped to solve the problem. In my case I have shadow files switched on from beginning. This is a good point to start digging. I'll try disable and re-enable it in options and will see how it behaves.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2018 04:32

JocelynL [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2018 18:36 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I changed these options and the loading is faster.

On the screen at right: Set preview/quality display options to High Preview Resolution (or lower resolution, not to Full HD Preview Resolution)

Also this option may help, enable Edit/Preferences/Project/Automatically load the last project when Powerdirector opens.

However, the forum loading is very slow for me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2018 08:46

[Post New]
Well.. yeah... As expected even after upgrading my editing rig to Ryzen 1800X and fast NVMe storage (that has 3.2GB read and 1.5 write speeds) generating thumbnails is still extremly slow. Even with Shadow files enabled and yes, I waited for them to generate.
My Intel DualCore 2 Duo with 4gb of ram and mechanical drive was snappier in PDR14 in editing embarassed
I am considering it as a serious fault in the PDR14

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2018 02:37

Axwack [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 06, 2017 22:54 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I own a Intel Core i7 8700, GTX1060, NVME PCIe SSD Samsung Evo 960 and 32GB of Ram (3200) on a ASUS Z370-H. Windows 10 Pro and all Drivers up to date.

PD15 with latest Patch runs very good and fast, PD16 not. These Bugs are from First Release, and nothing changes until yet.

I reported bugs to support, but no answer.

Cyberlink has always been slow in terms of troubleshooting. I'm not waiting for half a year or more now until the bugs in PD16 are fixed. Or maybe not. Next time I will not buy it.
PD15 went very well and was a good base. I do not understand why did Cyberlink change a lot, and then released such a buggy.

This is helpful. I upgraded to PD16 thinking it would be an improvement but I was experiencing the same kinds of lag. I would advise others not to upgrade until these kinks get worked out. Don't buy the deal they are offering until things are fixed. I think others who sank the dough into this upgrade will have to wait but I believe PD15 is good enough for all needs.
[Post New]
Going back to PDR15 is not fully satisfactory solution especially if I have no PDR15 I used to have PDR14 but I am afraid that I do not have those files any more After upgrade I deleted main installation file of PDR14 but left those extras that I got after purchase.

EDIT: I contacted Customer Support regarding the issue. See a link below.

https://imgur.com/a/gTBfx

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 08. 2018 04:47

Dimitrios123 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Greece Joined: Nov 20, 2017 13:15 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
On my system PD16 is reasonably fast during thumbnail generation (for the record, I have shadow files enabled). They need to be generated once in a session (PD16 does not regenerate them after a zoom-in/out or scrolling of the timeline).

For instance, I am now editing a project with 104 XAVC-S 1080p files. Everytime I load the project and zoom all the way out in order to have all clips visible on the timeline, it needs about 40 sec to generate the timeline thumbnails. Then it does not generate them again unless I close and reopen the project.

Is it related to the proper generation of shadow files? I see serious problems when I start editing without first waiting for all the shadow file (green) flags to appear. I do not even dare to copy the clips to the timeline before that moment.

(needless to say, the process of creating these shadow files is a veeeery slow one)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 24. 2018 14:55

[Post New]
There was an update few days ago. I was hoping that this will fix the issue, but apparently not. I recorded a bit how it looks and what is happening exactly. Do you guys have the same terrible experience when waiting for tumbnails to load?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 25. 2018 08:12