Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16 1080 60i BD Disc Creating flicker and do not run smoothly
blasiusxx [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 12, 2011 09:44 Messages: 330 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone noticed a serious bug in PD16?

There is something wrong when you create a BD disc, conforming (BDMV, 1080 60i). In all other Power Director versions, such as PD15, it is that a created BD disc in 1080 60i (interlaced), the result looks absolutely great. The playback on both the PC and all media players and Blu Ray players is wonderful and soft.

In contrast, the PD16-created BD movies in 1080 60i no longer look smooth. It looks as if every 3 picture is missing, or something similar. The playback is restless and the picture flickers.
I compared that, and for me it definitely looks like a bug in PD16.
You can take any x-arbitrary source material, eg AVCHD H.264 video clips in 60p, which were taken with Panasonic or Sony camcorders.
Likewise smartphone clips in 1080 60p.
Unfortunately, the result in PD16 always looks miserable, and is not acceptable, to say the least.
Just try it, and create a BD disc in PD15 and PD16 in 1080 60i and compare the Result.

The media info file does not really help here. There is definitely something wrong in PD16, because the MP4 or MKV production in 1080 60i Interlaced delivers the same result. But not in PD15, there's all good.

As long as progressive is being produced, as is BD disc creation, everything looks good in PD16.

But not in interlaced. But then you are not standard in the BD disc creation, in Progressiv. I have already written to the support, but so far received no answer. Wanted to ask if you have similar experiences here. Neither the operating system nor the PC hardware plays a role, because I tested it on 2 different systems (Windows 7, Windows 10, different Hardware).
The settings in PD16 can not be, these are exactly the same as in PD15. Also disabling and enabling any GPU support does not change the problem.
[Post New]
Quote Has anyone noticed a serious bug in PD16?

There is something wrong when you create a BD disc, conforming (BDMV, 1080 60i). In all other Power Director versions, such as PD15, it is that a created BD disc in 1080 60i (interlaced), the result looks absolutely great. The playback on both the PC and all media players and Blu Ray players is wonderful and soft.

In contrast, the PD16-created BD movies in 1080 60i no longer look smooth. It looks as if every 3 picture is missing, or something similar. The playback is restless and the picture flickers.
You can take any x-arbitrary source material, eg AVCHD H.264 video clips in 60p, which were taken with Panasonic or Sony camcorders.
Unfortunately, the result in PD16 always looks miserable, and is not acceptable, to say the least.
Just try it, and create a BD disc in PD15 and PD16 in 1080 60i and compare the Result.

The media info file does not really help here. There is definitely something wrong in PD16, because the MP4 or MKV production in 1080 60i Interlaced delivers the same result. But not in PD15, there's all good.

As long as progressive is being produced, as is BD disc creation, everything looks good in PD16.

But not in interlaced. But then you are not standard in the BD disc creation, in Progressiv. I have already written to the support, but so far received no answer. Wanted to ask if you have similar experiences here. Neither the operating system nor the PC hardware plays a role, because I tested it on 2 different systems (Windows 7, Windows 10, different Hardware).
The settings in PD16 can not be, these are exactly the same as in PD15. Also disabling and enabling any GPU support does not change the problem.

Ihave the same problem. NOW I know that All files product in 60i or 30fps are not good ( every file,DVD OR Bluray) This is One big mistake of PD16
blasiusxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for cofirming.

I think that most usersi are still working on BD in 1080, with disc creation. 4K is still far from it. How can such a mistake not be noticed is already more than surprising. However, if you use PowerDVD17 for playback - like the support - all 1080i videos will not look good anymore. Because this has a problem with it as well.

Not to mention: 1080i (60i and 50i) is the standard for self-made BluRay movies.

I have not tried it with the DVD creation in PD16. But unfortunately the problem also occurs when producing videos, ie MKV or MP4 in 60i from any AVCHD H.264 Source in 60p. The result is simply not good. It no longer looks like 60 FPS, rather downsized like 20 or 25 FPS. Everything flickers, and floats. Even if Media Info says otherwise.

Unfortunately, Media Info does not recognize this, the data is almost like the video generated by PowerDirector 15.
With PowerDirector 15 there was never a problem with interlaced video. With PD16 this error occurs everywhere, unfortunately also with 50i.

Just imagine, the support could not verify that. The problem is clearly visible on every computer and every player, including BluRay Player and Media Player externally. But Cyberlink only tests with their raunchy PowerDVD17, which also has problems with Playback interlaced videos. It's the same sh..

After countless uploads of test files to the support, the problem could be confirmed on an external player. The whole thing took about 4 weeks to realize that something is wrong in PowerDirector 16.
I hope Cyberlink fixes this Big Bug, but I do not think so. I have sent so many bugs since the release of PowerDirector 14, so far none has been fixed. On the contrary, new ones have arrived.

Cyberlink should slowly focus on his main task, and not always integrate unnecessary stuff.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 16. 2018 12:20

[Post New]
Quote Has anyone noticed a serious bug in PD16?

Yes, confirmed. PD16 produces 60i blurays that look like they're running at about 25fps. Definitely not even 30.

I pulled 60i blurays I created with older versions (14, 15) and they are glass smooth compared to PD16's flickery blurays.

Also confirmed that PD16 produces headache-inducing flickery blurays in both H.264 and MPEG-2. Specifically, it seems that PD16 is choking on 1080p60 source video when trying to convert it down to 30fps for 60i playback. I have not tested 30p source video. This is the 21st century, after all.

Definitely a bug, and a huge one considering all modern cell phones and camcorders shooting in 60p. No need to upload a bunch of things to CyberLink, I've already run too many tests on too many systems to know it's the software itself. All of you are just confirming the same thing.

If CyberLink doesn't fix this, then they just lost another customer. Lots of good competition out there.

This is a bug you actually see on the screen in the finished output, which is unacceptable.
[Post New]
Ok, so I bit the bullet and pulled out an old camcorder and whipped up a project using 30p as my source video.

Using PowerDirector, and with no effects of any kind, and with project frame rates set correctly, and with HA disabled in all cases, I created an H.264 bluray at 60i.

No difference - flickery, jittery video running at what appears to be about 15-20fps. So it is defintiely not a source video issue.

PowerDirector's bluray authoring is definitely broken. So far I have tested:

60p bluray - appears to run smoothly, but only at about 30p visually, but sporadically creates discs that skip and freeze if 90+ min
60i H.264 bluray - broken (flickery/jittery blurays that look like 15-20fps)
60i MPEG-2 bluray - broken (flickery/jittery blurays that look like 15-20fps)

Creating plain ol' video files on the hard drive (non-bluray):

MPEG-2 60i: Flickery/jittery playback that looks like 15-20fps
H.264 60i: Flickery/jittery playback that looks like 15-20fps
H.264 60p: Appears to run smoothly, but should be clearer than it is. No flicker but still notably blurry during camera panning.

Then I loaded up Corel's VideoStudio Ultimate 2018 and ran the same tests.

ALL of these same tests conducted using Corel VideoStudio 9.5 and 2018 produced buttery smooth 60p/60i video files and 60i blurays in all cases on the same system that was used for the above tests for PowerDirector. This is a bona-fide fail for PowerDirector. Corel's VS product is PAINFULLY SLOW compared to PD, but who cares - it's the output that actually matters.

What this means to a paying customer: I can't even use PowerDirector to edit and render the video I intend to use in OTHER bluray authoring software, such as Vegas DVDA or Corel VS. It's that bad of a problem, and means that for my purposes, PowerDirector is utterly useless right now. I don't even consider the output quality worthy of a YouTube upload.

PD16 is clearly a broken product right now.

PS: Test system is a Win7x64 Ultimate system, AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black CPU, 8GB RAM, WD blue drives with 6TB of space. 100% processor rendering only - HA rendering disabled to rule out drivers and video cards controversies.

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at May 31. 2018 02:01

blasiusxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's a workaround or temporally fix for the 1080 BD Disc Interlaced Problem. Support mailed me after months of conversations.They don't have integrated it in an offical Patch, don't know why....

It works for me, but should be finally officially released.

Not guarantee that it works, it's unofficial !!!

Make Backup and test it. For me it works.
 Filename
info.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
299 time(s)
 Filename
CLEdtKrn-1524810017866.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2369 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
537 time(s)
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I want to use this topic as an example.

The forum is for member to member discussion and assistance. There is a structured pathway for issue (included possible bug) reporting - there has to be, otherwise the verification of an issue, action generating, testing and solution release could not take place.

So, where an issue is not within members "control" or "influence", as Mods, we try to point out the correct procedure to follow.

In this case, there appears to be 3 members identifying a similar issue, only one has apparently worked with CL support and a solution has been found and applied. Yes, it may take some time but that is a commercial decision for CL and no doubt depends on internal resources, issue application and impact etc. etc.

I'm sure if the solution stands up to wider testing and implementation, it will be incorporated into a new release patch at the appropriate time.

If members do not follow the appropriate pathway and furnish the information required, then the issue cannot be properly investigated.

Over the years, there are so many examples of members being absolutely certain of their findings, and calling for solutions, only to eventually find that it is actually something only applicable to themselves. Longstanding members will readily identify with that scenario!

So identifying an issue and testing it and asking for confirmation and comments from others is fine, but using the forum as bug reporting is non-productive and will be discouraged.

It is great when members carry out structured and extensive testing and report such findings, but if no other member can do anything, then nothing can or will change. Members must follow the correct procedures to allow CL to verify and work on the issue.

The topic has probably run it's course so it can be locked off.

Thank you.
PowerDirector

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do