Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thumbnail does not display
PDTosh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2017 15:43 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
hello ! I am super new to video editing and i recently purchased PowerDirector 16 Ultra with only one goal: Remove unwanted portions of the videos that i own and republish them so that i can view the entire vido without the unwanted portions. This was mainly to save on storage space as many of my own videos had unwanted portions(such as random people on the street in between the videos)
I was able to cut out the portions of a video that i did not want and merge all the clips into one video. When i produced it, i lost the thumbnail and also the properties of the video(dimensions, bitrate etc) when i view the file in Windows 7.
If i open the edited video using PD16 again, i am able to see all the information within the PD16 software.
But not when i vew the file in a Windows 7 folder.
Can anyone please help?
[Thumb - PD.jpg]
 Filename
PD.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
156 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
21 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2017 16:12

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi PDTosh -

The thumbnail isn't displaying in Windows because VLC Player is set as the default for that file type... that's why it's displaying with the VLC icon. As far as I know, VLC Player cannot display thumbnails in Windows.

If you changed your default player to (say) Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic, you'd have thumbnails.
Not sure where the properties went. What format and profile did you use in the Produce module?

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2017 17:35

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
PDTosh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Reg: Format Chosen
I selected the SVRT option while producing. From my limited knowledge, i believe its the format which is picked by default for the fastest production. I noticed(as you can see in the screenshot) that the original bitrate and dimensions stayed the same as in the original video during production

Reg: Thumbnail view and softwares
Please see a sreenshot of other files that show the thumbnail when VLC is still the defauilt player. Both files are of MP4 format. But only the file producted in PD does not show the thumbnail.
Any additional advice is greatly appreciated!

Quote Hi PDTosh -

The thumbnail isn't displaying in Windows because VLC Player is set as the default for that file type... that's why it's displaying with the VLC icon. As far as I know, VLC Player cannot display thumbnails in Windows.

If you changed your default player to (say) Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic, you'd have thumbnails.
Not sure where the properties went. What format and profile did you use in the Produce module?

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - PD2.jpg]
 Filename
PD2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Options displayed right before production
 Filesize
214 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
18 time(s)
[Thumb - PD.jpg]
 Filename
PD.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Thumbnaiil comparison for PD produced videos and others
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again -
Please accept my apology for the out-of-date advice about VLC Player. Earlier versions could not display a thumbnail, but the recent ones do.
As it happens, a friend of mine just left after an editing session. When I switched the default app to VLC Player, the videos produced in PDR16 displayed with a thumbnail... along with other .MP4 videos. In the attached screenshot, the videos produced in PDR16 are outlined.
I've just now produced a file, using the same profile suggested in your SVRT screenshot... yes - a thumbnail. Yes - properties shown in Windows Explorer. You'll see that in the second screenshot.
Have you tried producing again? There may be some flaw in that particular produced file.
Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - VLC Player PDR videos.png]
 Filename
VLC Player PDR videos.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
443 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
[Thumb - PDR Produce Properties.png]
 Filename
PDR Produce Properties.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)

PDTosh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for taking the time to reply Tony!
So far, for 3 videos i got the exact same result. But only for 1 other video, both the thumbnail and the properties are appearing.
My best guess is that at some point during the rendeirng, either the thumbnail and properties are not being generates or as you said, it could be a problem with the original video file. Strange though, because the original video file shows everything(thumbnail/properties).
If you by any chance know how we can edit the properties or add thumbnails in PD16 Ultra to existing videos, please let me know.
Thanks again for anyone who took the time to view this post and reply

Cheers,
- PDTosh

Quote Hi again -
Please accept my apology for the out-of-date advice about VLC Player. Earlier versions could not display a thumbnail, but the recent ones do.
As it happens, a friend of mine just left after an editing session. When I switched the default app to VLC Player, the videos produced in PDR16 displayed with a thumbnail... along with other .MP4 videos. In the attached screenshot, the videos produced in PDR16 are outlined.
I've just now produced a file, using the same profile suggested in your SVRT screenshot... yes - a thumbnail. Yes - properties shown in Windows Explorer. You'll see that in the second screenshot.
Have you tried producing again? There may be some flaw in that particular produced file.
Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
I really don't have any idea what might be the problem.

Could you try 2 things? 1. Use the sample clip "Kite Surfing.wmv" and produce it to AVC H.264 MP4 1920x1080/30p (16Mbps)... do you get this (below)? or not?

The second thing to try is switch your default app for mp4 to Windows Media Player. Does that offer a thumbnail image?
Cheers - Tony
PDTosh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,

Thanks so much for all your replies. Since the last time, i have tried editing multiple videos. And at random, some of them lose their thumbnails and some don't. Not sure what may be the problem.

Unfortunately, i do not have any other video editor to compare this behavior to. Wish i had PD15.

If i find out anything else i will post here.

Thanks!
PDTosh

Quote I really don't have any idea what might be the problem.

Could you try 2 things? 1. Use the sample clip "Kite Surfing.wmv" and produce it to AVC H.264 MP4 1920x1080/30p (16Mbps)... do you get this (below)? or not?

The second thing to try is switch your default app for mp4 to Windows Media Player. Does that offer a thumbnail image?
Cheers - Tony