Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Who uses Power Director?
Charles Edward [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2015 10:17 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Quote To OP:
The PD is home-use software with licensing only to that.That's what the End User License Agreement states.
Once you get to have a lot of videos and make money from that, you can be noticed, and you might get into trouble by using a non-professional product. On Windows side, there are products that are professional, but they cost also 4-6x the money. Part of that is the licenses to various video formats (containers) used.
Performance-vise the PD with a decent CPU and last generation video card is top-notch. Not even Final-Cut Pro on a Mac comes close. But the experience on a slower computer can be frustrating. A decent used workstation can be bought on eBay. Add SSD as boot drive, plenty of RAM and paired with a modern video card (nVidia or ATI) is all you need.
Now, if your wife thinks she needs a Mac, you won't win. It's the social status that she perceives that will provide in her little circle, that's all, and you can do nothing about that.

PS: My wife really wanted an ugly Kia Soul and she got it in the end. Now even if she might not be happy with it, it is not my fault

Hi Sonic,

Thanks for this. You are quite right that she will eventually get what she liked. I haven't purchased the Mac yet as I am still researching for he best deal.

What you mentioned in the end-user agreement that PD is a home product and cannot be used for videos that make money is something that concerns me. I actually started a new thread in the "previous versions of PD" category which asks the question "Why is PD not considered Professional". Your reply seems to answer my question quite well. It opens a few more questions though like why doesn't cyberljnk make a professional grade product for Hollywood and moviemakers? And of course, when you say "we can get into trouble if we use it on materials that make money", what does "trouble" and "make money" mean? Does YouTube monetezation qualify as "make money" or for wedding vdeographers, do their videos qualify, or is it when our product is launched as a commercial movie that qualifies? I suppose though these questions will have to go under a different thread. Then the definition of "trouble", are we going to be brought to court for copyright infringement for using a product that we are licensed to use? I don't know if any movie producer was ever brought to trouble for using a home camera to make his movie for instance. I really don't know, but looking at PD, it seems very powerful and could really be used for serious stuff.

Some news though... Since I haven't purchased a Mac yet,my wife downloaded PD for her Android and started using it. She seems to be warming up to the idea of PD . Does the Android version sync/link up to the PC version well? If they do, then it's another plus point for PD since she can start work on her phone and finish it on the PC.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2018 23:53

Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Who uses PowerDirector ? You can't use it for profesional videos, making money ! innocent

Here is a link to view who is using it ... "CyberLink & John Schneider Studios " The link is from Cyberlinks own Cyberlink Learning Centre

Maybe that John & Schneider Studios are not using PD for the final product but PD is being used in post production but it's still nice to know that PD is being used by professionals laughing

Cheers

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 08. 2018 06:48

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Who uses PowerDirector ? You can't use it for profesional videos, making money ! innocent

Here is a link to view who is using it ... "CyberLink & John Schneider Studios " The link is from Cyberlinks own Cyberlink Learning Centre

Maybe that John & Schneider Studios are not using PD for the final product but PD is being used in post production but it's still nice to know that PD is being used by professionals laughing

Cheers

Its.rrally nice to know that PD is being used by professionals... So why isn't it considered a professional product?
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... So why isn't it considered a professional product? ...

you're beating up a dead horse. if you want ot use it for commercial purposes, then it is on you. read again the CL EULA.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
[Post New]
I use PD and have done since V8.
Click to see Outback Australia
I recently tried out some other NLEs but came back to PD. It still seems the best fit for me, feature-wise and price-wise. Scott Hendry
www.scotthendry.com
YouTube username TheCscottHendry
Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote ... So why isn't it considered a professional product? ...

you're beating up a dead horse. if you want ot use it for commercial purposes, then it is on you. read again the CL EULA.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Yes Pepsiman,

I agree with you. I read one of your posts that you have been asking cyberlink to come out with a professional product for years and they haven't made one. What does "commercial use" mean btw? Movies and TV commercials are obviously commercial, but Does YouTube qualify?

Another thought I had is that since the problem seems to be the licensing of the codecs ordile formats, some people in some threads have commented that we can try licensing those separately. In this case though, since we only need 1 type of file for most of our work, we will only need to license one format. That might come out quite cost-effective. I mean if I got another program which had licenses for several format, I would essentially be paying for the license sfor those formats, but in the end, I would most probably use only one format or file type for most of my output. So why not license only that particular format?

Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone in these threads who has successfully licensed a codecs or file type for commercial use. Btw, I do hope my terminology is right regarding codecs and file formats, should I be calling them something else?

Yes we are beating the dead horse. I suppose we could really be trying to because we love the horse. We in this forums love PD. It's why even if my wife wants a Mac, I am still trying to live with PD by opening this thread.
Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
Btw,I read a bit from an egadget link (my browser won't let me paste the link here) on the h.264 licensing. It basically says that the owners of the h.264 format doesn't want it licensed for commercial use. So it says that even Final Cut Pro X and Avid have something in their Eula which prohibits users from using the software for commercial purposes. With this being said, it may appear that the problem will exist even if we were to change software.

Another article I found in tubularinsightals.com says that the consortium that owns the standard has announced "no licensing fees" for videos that are free to view on the internet. However, videos that are pay-to-view needs licenses.

Now, if the video is free to view, does it still qualify as "commercial use" as per cyberlink's EULA if it is monetized on YouTube?

Of course the question I post here is basically the question "what does commercial use" mean as per PD terminology. Then there is a question of what country's definition of "commercial use" do we use. I don't come from the USA,and a website I found described cyberlink as a taiwanese company... So beyond the basic legal jargon, we also have the international jargon to ask about. I am obviously overthinking out this one, hahaha.

My bottom line is "Let's just use PD and have fun!", I haven't heard of anyone getting into trouble or using PD for their projects before,let's support them. Man, my wife still wants a Mac,i might eventually give into that.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 12. 2018 23:14

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... What does "commercial use" mean btw? Movies and TV commercials are obviously commercial, but Does YouTube qualify? ...

in good ole US of A, yes and it's taxable income. Used for Commercial Purposes definition... YouTube takedown? (MVP member) . if you read the YouTube thread, then you'll know one aspects why Google developed VP9 codecs. owners are awaiting till you become a super star. ^^

Quote ... Man, my wife still wants a Mac,i might eventually give into that.

she is your 50%. ^^

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 13. 2018 11:51

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
[Post New]
I use PowerDirector for all my videos, and have since MediaSuite 10 (2012?). In my YT description box I say that I use PD and have an affiliate link.

She probably does not watch my channel though... I am a retired expat from Texas, now living on a rice field in the Philippines. I do not do any makeup tutorials ha ha... https://www.youtube.com/c/titotimtravels
Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I use PowerDirector for all my videos, and have since MediaSuite 10 (2012?). In my YT description box I say that I use PD and have an affiliate link.

She probably does not watch my channel though... I am a retired expat from Texas, now living on a rice field in the Philippines. I do not do any makeup tutorials ha ha...

Hi Tito Tim,

I viewed your link and I like it very much. It's nice you are blogging about your life in the Philippines. I can relate with you as I live in Manila.
Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
First off, I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I really appreciate it.

Out of curiousity, I started reading through the forums of final cut pro... And guess what, they have the same clause in their software: "for personal use" or "for non-commercial use" is written somewhere in their EULA too for both the educational and the full versions, so this type of question also appears in their forum. However, one of the replies I read to the question was this:

"The term for non-commercial use applies to the software itself and not to the final product".

So the statement of the EULA on "non-commercial use" was interpreted by some to mean that we can sell the final product, or use it for something that is profitable. however, we cannot install the software on multiple computers and have the software rented out. If this is the case, then it would be perfectly legal for a movie studio to use PD.

Could this also be what Cyberlink had meant?

Re: the link on YouTube takedown, I read through it's link and it appears to me that the video in question was taken down not because Cyberlink was used to make that particular video, but rather because the video allegedly had links to illegal stuff like cracks or keys.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2018 20:54

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Charles,

I use PD14 Ultra on a PC I made up myself, I'm very happy with it, anything I can think of that I want to do there will be a way to do it, in that respect it's very much like Ps.

As for its popularity I think a lot more people use it than the others you've seen on YT. I guess a lot of fancy software is a bit like Leica cameras, OK for the professionals who take 100's of pics everyday and mistreat the cameras in a way no ordinary person would do, but the results are no different from your bog standard DSLR. People who own the cameras but don't use them professionally love to tell you they've got one! : Does it make them better photographers, never!

Since January 2016 I have had 20 screenings of my videos (another in Feb coming up) all over the world all done in PD14. The most important thing is the content and if the software is easy to use (like PD14) then the person using it can forget about it and concentrate on the content.

Cheers
Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Charles,

I use PD14 Ultra on a PC I made up myself, I'm very happy with it, anything I can think of that I want to do there will be a way to do it, in that respect it's very much like Ps.

As for its popularity I think a lot more people use it than the others you've seen on YT. I guess a lot of fancy software is a bit like Leica cameras, OK for the professionals who take 100's of pics everyday and mistreat the cameras in a way no ordinary person would do, but the results are no different from your bog standard DSLR. People who own the cameras but don't use them professionally love to tell you they've got one! : Does it make them better photographers, never!

Since January 2016 I have had 20 screenings of my videos (another in Feb coming up) all over the world all done in PD14. The most important thing is the content and if the software is easy to use (like PD14) then the person using it can forget about it and concentrate on the content.

Cheers

Thank you Jemra1D,

I agree on you 100% on the use of non-professional stuff! I hope to see your movie here soon too.
Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi guys, the debate is over at last. My wife agreed to go with a new PC and Power Director over macbook with final cut pro. Thank you so much for your inputs. It looks like I'll be staying on these forums longer.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Charles,

I only show my vids to curators and if they choose one then that is shown to an audience. I also offer some to collectors though I've only sold one so far : You can see some previews here: http://www.jemraid.co.uk/

This is a couple of minutes of an experiment to see if I could do it in PD14 using Masks and Layers.