Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16, no tools, keyframe "button" or tool menu visible
fishtop_records
Newbie Location: Wayne, PA Joined: May 12, 2016 02:02 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
I'm running 16.0.2127 on Windows 10

I'm editing a project/movie and I can't seem to find/push, even look at the usual tools and keyframe menus or buttons. Most of the time, "tools" is not visible on the bar between the top half and bottom (track view) of the screen.

There is a Tools "button" on the bar sometimes, but the only choice is "Blending effect"

I really need to set a keyframe and adjust the video for exposure, contrast, etc.

And I'd really like to be able to zoom and crop some clips.

But I can't find the tools.

I assume I've selected some weird editing mode. I have no idea what. Please, how do I get my tools to be visible to I can use them?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi fishtop_records -

The problem might be that you haven't selected a video or image.

If nothing is selected in the timeline, the Tools button will only have Blending Effect available.

If you select a video clip in the timeline, ALL the tools and buttons will be available.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
fishtop_records
[Post New]
Sadly, even when I select a clip, the tool buttons are not visible.

I upgraded to patch 16.0.2218.0

but it made no difference

On some projects/videos, the tools work as normal, but on at least two of my projects, the tool buttons are not visible, selection or no selection

Rebooting the computer makes no difference
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the info.

On one of the projects where the tools aren't showing, could you 1. select a clip, 2. take a screenshot, 3. label it with the details of what's in your timeline & what's selected & 4. post it here as an attachment?

Obviously, something's going wrong.

Cheers - Tony
fishtop_records
[Post New]
Quote On one of the projects where the tools aren't showing, could you 1. select a clip, 2. take a screenshot, 3. label it with the details of what's in your timeline & what's selected & 4. post it here as an attachment?

Two screenshots. First has no clip selected, showing no tools as expected

second has clip selected in the timeling, but no tools displayed
[Thumb - B_Screenshot no tools but clip is selected.png]
 Filename
B_Screenshot no tools but clip is selected.png
[Disk]
 Description
clip selected in timeline, no tools
 Filesize
1163 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
18 time(s)
[Thumb - A_Screenshot Nothing selected, no tools.png]
 Filename
A_Screenshot Nothing selected, no tools.png
[Disk]
 Description
no selection, no tools
 Filesize
1162 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
ynotfish
[Post New]
Your screenshot shows a "WAV" file in the timeline (which has the appearance of a video clip.

It looks like you have edited the audio in ADR or WE, then relinked the audio & video. If that's the case, unlinking the audio & video tracks then selecting only the video will make the tools available again.

I could easily be barking up the wrong tree, but that's the only reason I can think there'd be a .WAV file extension.

Cheers - Tony
fishtop_records
[Post New]
Quote Your screenshot shows a "WAV" file in the timeline (which has the appearance of a video clip. It looks like you have edited the audio in ADR or WE, then relinked the audio & video. If that's the case, unlinking the audio & video tracks then selecting only the video will make the tools available again.

Yes, that is what I did. Why would that make the video tools be gone?

I need to adjust the audio, and this seemed to be the only way to do that. Is there a different and/or better way?

This sure is counter intuitive