Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I can't set slide duration for a slideshow.
[Post New]
Hello All,

I'm new to PD but am excited at the possibilities. However I've hit a snag with my first project, a simple slideshow. I'm creating it for an older couple who would like a longish viewing time for each slide. (10s or more).

Here's what I've tried so far...

I started with the Slideshow Creator from the launch screen, however all the templates have quick slide durations, and according to the manual, and my experimenting, I can only modify slides to sync in different ways with the music. This does not affect the slide duration only the length of the entire slideshow. So this didn't work...

I then tried the Full Feature Editor, changing my program preferences to import slides at a default duration of 10s, and dragging my media directly into timeline. Each slide's duration was 10s as intended. I highlighted a group of slides on the timeline and selected the slideshow option. The end result was the same as described above. The slideshow process overwrote the slide duration set in the timeline. (Note: I did receive a warning message that this would be the case.) So this didn't work.

After digging deeper into the manual I thought I had found a solution within Theme Designer. In the manual it refers to adjusting the slide duration by right clicking on the desired slide and selecting "set duration", however no matter what theme I choose this option is not available. It is greyed out. "Modify effects settings" is also greyed out. I have checked this is true with multiple files, but can find no reason as to why.

So in closing... Please, can anyone offer any suggestions as to why I am unable to access "Set duration" in Theme Designer, or a way, using a template or Theme Designer, to create a slideshow with custom slide durations? I would like to avoid the time it will take to do it all from scratch in the Full Feature Editor.

Thanks for any and all help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2017 13:13

Thanks, Figures
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi figures -

Firstly, using Slideshow Creator you're stuck with the timings set in the templates. Whatever duration you've set in the timeline is ignored completely. The only way round that is to:

1. Build the slideshow without music

2. Produce it to video format

3. Use speed change on the produced video then add music

4. Produce it again

There's more flexibility with Theme Designer, but it's still wrapped in a template. Some templates containing animations don't allow duration change. Others do. When you hover over an image you'll see a clock icon (or not).

Using the very basiic Reflection template, with 20 photos set at 10 seconds each (opening & closing photos couldn't be adjusted) the total duration is ~3:10... which is in the ballpark of 10sec per photo. Switch each photo's duration to 15sec & the total duration is ~4:40 (again, in the ballpark).

So - unfortunately the answer to your question is totally determined by which template you use.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thank you for your quick and concise reply. You confirmed what my testing was showing me and gave some good options. I will review both for providing the best solution. Firstly, I'll check out the Theme Designer templates again to see if I can find one I like that allows adjusting the slide duration. I like that you gave me the steps outlining the video speed change option. Great to know how to do! I realize this will also extend effects and transitions but it may be a viable option when weighing the finale look of the end product.

I'll post my experience for readers.

Thanks again.

Quote Hi figures -

Firstly, using Slideshow Creator you're stuck with the timings set in the templates. Whatever duration you've set in the timeline is ignored completely. The only way round that is to:

1. Build the slideshow without music

2. Produce it to video format

3. Use speed change on the produced video then add music

4. Produce it again

There's more flexibility with Theme Designer, but it's still wrapped in a template. Some templates containing animations don't allow duration change. Others do. When you hover over an image you'll see a clock icon (or not).

Using the very basiic Reflection template, with 20 photos set at 10 seconds each (opening & closing photos couldn't be adjusted) the total duration is ~3:10... which is in the ballpark of 10sec per photo. Switch each photo's duration to 15sec & the total duration is ~4:40 (again, in the ballpark).

So - unfortunately the answer to your question is totally determined by which template you use.

Cheers - Tony
Thanks, Figures