Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
compressed files not compressed?
BrandonA. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 07, 2017 20:58 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello I have powerdirector 14, I am trying to take old vhs home movies and put them on a 4.7gb dvd. I have used (shrink to fit) in power director and was able to burn a DVD that way but the quality was poor.

*So I wanted to take the original file and compress it in Handbrake as mpeg-2 file and bring it back into Powerdirector14 to burn onto dvd. (so i can compare shrink to fit vs hanbrakes compressed files) When I open this file in powerdirector then right clicking (properties) it says file size is 1.7GB which is good but then when i take that same file to PowerDirector (creat disc) it says the file size is 11,1114MB on high quality and 5786 MB on standard quality which is stll too big to burn on 4.7 GB dvd...... ***Why is powerdirector showing 1.7GB mpeg-2 file as being much bigger when I go to create disc?

*I have tried 2 different handbrake compressed mpeg-2 files with the same result. *IN handbrake I converted them to a mkv file not mp4 if that makes a difference?

Any ideas? I am lost??

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2017 14:45

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
In PowerDirector 14 the DVD size estimates were usually way off. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
BrandonA. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In PowerDirector 14 the DVD size estimates were usually way off.

Are there any updates that fixed this? They seem to be accurate otherwise just when i use files that have been compressed with another program like handbrake.

-Should I try to burn it with when it says files are too big? or will it prevent me from burning them to dvd as the program says they are too large?
BrandonA. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In PowerDirector 14 the DVD size estimates were usually way off.

Are there any updates that fixed this? They seem to be accurate otherwise just when i use files that have been compressed with another program like handbrake.

-Should I try to burn it with when it says files are too big? or will it prevent me from burning them to dvd as the program says they are too large?

-I tried to burn a file that was compressed down to 1.7gb even though power director says its more like 10gb. It was not abble to complete burning the dvd as it ran out of room. It's pretty ridiculous in one screen it reads the correct size and when you go to write it the size totally changes... Is there a setting somewhere I need to click on to get the correct reading?
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Rather than burning your project to a disc, try the option to burn to a folder on your hard drive. Having done that you can then easily check the actual total size that you are dealing with. This might turn out larger than you think when e.g. menus have been added in. The video files will also be DVD standards compliant and therefore potentially larger than the compressed files you used.
BrandonA. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Rather than burning your project to a disc, try the option to burn to a folder on your hard drive. Having done that you can then easily check the actual total size that you are dealing with. This might turn out larger than you think when e.g. menus have been added in. The video files will also be DVD standards compliant and therefore potentially larger than the compressed files you used.

THanks for the advice but I don't see that option in PD 14. I can save as to the computer but I don't see anything in the create dvd section.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I can't actually test it as I no longer have PDR 14 installed but I'm pretty that it was an option in the create disc process. It's certainly worth trying and perhaps another user who has still access to PDR 14 could come in here...

p.s. - sealed I'm not pretty but I am pretty sure.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2017 03:39