Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
8K, 16K, 32K ??
Squish7 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2012 20:20 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Does PD16 allow 8K rez output or higher? I'm guessing not because I don't see the term "8K" in the specs.

If PD doesn't allow 8K, this just weirds me out. YouTube is allowing 8K uploads and they sell 8K screens. Obviously these are going to become more common just like any technology. I render fractal animation frames over 16K. I upgraded to PD14 to get 4K. Do I have to keep upgrading every few years just to get a larger video output, even if I don't care about any of the other new features? Why should the highest level of software like PD already be behind what's already out? Or am I missing something?

The limitations of video encoding just freak me out. What is so much more difficult about video than images? It's just more pixels, just like a bigger bmp file. Why is special encoding needed just to get more pixels?

Thanks for any help! :-)
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
No, PD16 is not able to produce 8K (or even higher) videos. Maybe the trick with editing the profile.ini may help, I haven't tested.
The highest resolution is: 4096x2160.

Why? I think, because there are too few camaeras that can record 8K (or even higher) material. I think Full-HD is still the most common resolution, 4K is coming. I record in 4K and render it down to Full-HD. My computer is able to play 4K material fluently. Working with 4K footage is possible, but not in realtime. Rendering in 4K takes a long time (I need more money and a very capable thread-ripper) and the resulting video with good quality is huge in size.

So there are very few people and very few cameras, that can handle 8K footage and today it is not worth to support 8K in a comsumer product as PD16.

And yes, you are right. Compression is the same, but compressing a video in 8K with a "normal" computer will take a very long time. There are faster computers needed for that job. Only film studios can afford such workstations nowadays.

Hattti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome to the forum

Quote ... Or am I missing something? ...

yup.

if you really want to do 8K with PD16 is possible as Hatti said. create a custom 4K profile and modify the resolution in your PD14 Profile.ini file.

i don't think you have a $30K-50K Red, just an enquiring mind.

for example, 4K is four times big as 1080. so if you record FHD at 17Mb/sec bitrate and render at same bitrate using your whatever then minimum 4K video bitrates is 68Mb/sec. 8K is four times bigger than 4K. again if you use 68Mb/sec then minimum video bitrates will be 272Mb/sec for the 8K, hence needing a really huge capacity SSD drives for recording... 256GB SSD is good for about 125 minutes of recording at 272Mb/sec... """"yell""""

what about editing and producing your 8K on your favorite desktop or a laptop??? ^^

just to answer your curiosity, i've produced 8K videos using my dell XPS with PD12. 16 second 7680x4320 videos at 50Mb/sec bitrate it took painful 20minutes to render and resulting videos didn't play smoothly...

follow this to modify the Profile.ini file -> Custom output video size 720 x 404

oh happy happy joy joy
PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 19. 2017 03:49

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Squish7 -

I've rendered "8K" videos in various versions of PDR, including PDR14... for particular purposes, including curiosity. Like PepsiMan says, the Profile.ini has to be edited to create such a profile.

After I saw your question, I made 16K & 32K profiles to test... but PDR16 just sat and looked at me and refused to cooperate. I'm aware that some other NLEs can render 8K. If you find one that'll do 16K or 32K, let us know.

Since 8K is just emerging in cameras, monitors & TVs, I think it's a bit "rich" expecting a consumer level NLE to be ahead of the pack. I've seen only one 32K camera (not in real life) & it's not even up to the prototype stage.

Attached is the 8K profile that worked fine in PDR. All you need to do is copy the text in the .txt file & paste it at the end/start of your Profile.ini. For PDR14, you'll find that at C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\14.0

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
8K profile.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
747 bytes
 Downloaded:
361 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2017 17:39

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Squish7 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2012 20:20 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, thanks gang.
I'll sift through your technicals a bit later, sounds great!
To clarify, I'm not talking about camera footage. I do a lot of fractal animations/zooms; usually for an animation I render a couple thousand frames up to 20,000 x 10,000 px each, then I load those in PD as images and set each for a duration of "1" frame, so that there are 30 of those images a second (adding music and/or narration). So, naturally I'd like to render video that's the highest rez/quality possible, e.g. 16K or even higher. (PD7 didn't even have the ability to put a picture in for a duration of 1 frame; the minimum duration was 2! So I could only have 15fps animations which looked choppy. I did figure out a trick, though; I could produce the 15fps animation, then load that BACK in to PD and set speed to 2x, re-produce a final vid, but of course that lost a bit of quality to produce twice. Fractals have extraordinary detail and encoding can mutilate it.)
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Wow, thanks gang.
I'll sift through your technicals a bit later, sounds great!
To clarify, I'm not talking about camera footage. I do a lot of fractal animations/zooms; usually for an animation I render a couple thousand frames up to 20,000 x 10,000 px each, then I load those in PD as images and set each for a duration of "1" frame, so that there are 30 of those images a second (adding music and/or narration). So, naturally I'd like to render video that's the highest rez/quality possible, e.g. 16K or even higher. (PD7 didn't even have the ability to put a picture in for a duration of 1 frame; the minimum duration was 2! So I could only have 15fps animations which looked choppy. I did figure out a trick, though; I could produce the 15fps animation, then load that BACK in to PD and set speed to 2x, re-produce a final vid, but of course that lost a bit of quality to produce twice. Fractals have extraordinary detail and encoding can mutilate it.)

Since you like to have 8K, a step in the right direction might be to ask for 4K burning on the wish list. Just a wee step.

Happy Thanksgiving to All

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A