Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Where is the Cut List?
SteveRK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 22, 2017 14:30 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector 14. It seems reasonable that one should be able to see the in and out points (in the original file) for any clip on the timeline. I don't see this information anywhere (e.g. clip properties) and I can't find anything about it in the Help indix or the user manual. It just seems totally unreasonable not to make this information visible. It's obviously in the data.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 05. 2017 18:13

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Steve -

It's visible if you use the Trim function (which I rarely do), but only by going back into Trim. See attached screenshot.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Trim In-Out.png]
 Filename
Trim In-Out.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
907 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
51 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
SteveRK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Steve -

It's visible if you use the Trim function (which I rarely do), but only by going back into Trim. See attached screenshot.

Cheers - Tony

Wow, Tony, thank you very much!

My little project only has 7 clips, so I just went through, selected each one, clicked the "Trim" button, and found the information as you explained. That was very kind and helpful.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 05. 2017 23:59

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Steve,

You should also be able to see the information if you hover the cursor over a clip in the timeline as shown (I've had to draw in the cursor as screen grab doesn't get it):-
[Thumb - cutlist.jpg]
 Filename
cutlist.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
40 time(s)
Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
SteveRK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Steve,

You should also be able to see the information if you hover the cursor over a clip in the timeline as shown (I've had to draw in the cursor as screen grab doesn't get it):-

Thank you for your reply and for your kindness in taking the time to draw what screen capture would not provide. I am familiar with the problem of grabbing a hover-pop-up. It's like chasing a ghost. As I understand it, the hover-pop-up shows the position in the project timeline. What I am looking for is the position in the original file.

My-son-the-video-expert advised me to look for an "EDL Export" function, which apparently PD14 does not support. He uses the high end professional tools every day. I am just a very occasional amateur, and so far PD has always met my needs admirably. It did this time, too, with the "Trim" tool as Tony explained.

That's why I wanted this, by the way. My son will do the "real" editing on this project, but I wanted to do a rough cut for him of certain material because it was easier for me to make the very content-sensitive decisions of cutting a 6 minute talk to 1:40. But then I wanted to give him the "cut list" so he could quickly replicate and improve on my rough cut.

The "Export EDL" function would be nice and should be very easy to implement. I encourage CyberLink to add that to the roadmap. I also think the info should be in the right-click View Properties dropdown of each clip. You could just add two lines to the "File" section of the information for IN and OUT points.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Steve,

Ah, now I understand the difference. I think what you are referring to as 'the original file' is what is normally termed a 'clip'. In the days of tape-based systems the original capture would usually be a single file comprising multiple shots, or a set of such files if capturing from more than one tape.

I expect you're aware that now footage is captured on memory cards each shot is saved as a separate file (I presume the file you're editing is a single shot which you want to split into multiple segments). It would seem to me that an Edit Decision List for an entire project comprising multiple files (clips) would then need to include information about each file (e.g. it's filename), it's position in the project (since it may be out of shooting sequence) and the cuts made to it. I agree with you that in principle this seems a fairly trivial task. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64