Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Smart Fit and smaller videeos
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
The end of this thread has to do with SF. I changed the title of this post

Let me draw attention to this thread. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/63600.page

I posted because I have the same problem as the OP in that thread. Then I'm told I have the wrong version of the software that is not available from Cyberlink. Say what?

I purchased the Ultimate. I downloaded the Ultimate installation files. 1_CyberLink_PowerDirector16_Ultimate_VDE170626-02 to be exact. I also have all the extra files that came with it.

So, will someone tell me exactly what I have, and why the problem I am experiencing in the above mentioned thread?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 28. 2017 15:41

Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Let me draw attention to this thread. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/63600.page

I posted because I have the same problem as the OP in that thread. Then I'm told I have the wrong version of the software that is not available from Cyberlink. Say what?

I purchased the Ultimate. I downloaded the Ultimate installation files. 1_CyberLink_PowerDirector16_Ultimate_VDE170626-02 to be exact. I also have all the extra files that came with it.

So, will someone tell me exactly what I have, and why the problem I am experiencing in the above mentioned thread?

Well, I was told to DL a BETA patch, which I am not in the habit of installing BETA patches. If it's a final patch, call it as such.

Anyway, I still only get the one choice to create a 2D DVD. 720x480 60i. Can this get any more frustrating? .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
Myk
[Post New]
What this whole thing comes down to is PD16 Ultimate produces a terrible DVD and/or .iso file. PD13 Ultra always worked well. I get the same choices for video format, but the quality is not there with PD16.

Is there a codec that should be installed? .

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Myk -

Sounds like you have PDR16 Ultimate. To confirm, just click either the PDR icon (top left) or the word PowerDirector (top right). What does it say after Version Type?

The options for burning a 2D DVD are the same in PDR16 as PDR13. See attached screenshot. That's how a DVD video needs to be formatted.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - DVD Options.png]
 Filename
DVD Options.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
28 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Myk
[Post New]
Quote Hi Myk -

Sounds like you have PDR16 Ultimate. To confirm, just click either the PDR icon (top left) or the word PowerDirector (top right). What does it say after Version Type?

The options for burning a 2D DVD are the same in PDR16 as PDR13. See attached screenshot. That's how a DVD video needs to be formatted.

Cheers - Tony

There is nothing that refers to PDR. The only thing with an R in it is an SR number. What does PDR signify?

It still doesn't explain why a 2D DVD turns out to be a mess unless I Produce an HD video file first, then import that into PD and create the HD DVD. This is without a menu. I haven't created chapters in the video I'm working on as it doesn't need one.
[Thumb - Clipboard01.jpg]
 Filename
Clipboard01.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
30 time(s)

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry - PDR refers to PowerDirectoR

... but you would have noticed the About screen confirms that you have the Ultimate version. You did ask "What version do I have?" See your attached screenshot.

I'll run some comparison tests with PDR13 & 16 to see what PQ differences there are.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - About.jpg]
 Filename
About.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
82 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
21 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 25. 2017 19:11

Myk
[Post New]
Quote Sorry - PDR refers to PowerDirectoR

... but you would have noticed the About screen confirms that you have the Ultimate version. You did ask "What version do I have?" See your attached screenshot.
Cheers - Tony

Of course I know it says Ultimate.
Yes, I asked that because of the comment in the other thread by tomask saying I had the "Deluxe version, which is not advertized on any Cyberlink websites".

I'm just perturbed by the results I get compared to ver13. Again I will ask, is there a codec I'm missing?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 25. 2017 21:59

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
Myk
[Post New]
Could the Shadow files be causing my low-def problems? .

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Myk -

It's unlikely you're missing any codecs & that would not be the cause of the issue with DVD production. Also, using shadow files wouldn't matter because PDR uses the original files (not the shadows/proxies) in rendering & burning.

In the tests I've done here, I've found the oppositie to be true. PDR13 has far more obvious PQ defects than PDR16.

I made a project in PDR13 containing a mix of videos, deliberately selecting clips with motion and graphic elements, & photos that were used in a motion slideshow. I burned the project to folder and disc.

Next I opened the same project in PDR16 & repeated the process, burning to folder & disc.

In many parts of the DVD, played back on UHD TV, it was hard to tell the difference... but PDR13's DVD had more shimmering and artifacts than PDR16's. This was obvious when comparing the VOB files side by side too. The motion slideshow section was by far the worst.

Here are some side-by-side screenshots from the VOB files.

Here is a scaled down version of the project created in PDR13

It would be interesting to see how that project turns out at your end. Maybe other members might test too.

Cheers - Tony
Myk
[Post New]
I took the original files I used for the previous movie (dances), and created the entire movie (stage production).

This video required I used Smartfit to make the DVD. The first did not require SF, or even offer the choice since it was a much shorter video. This one came out great, and makes me wonder if there is a problem with NOT using SF. .

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
ynotfish
[Post New]
Myk -

Using Smart Fit is the most probable cause of your image quality issues.

When Smart Fit needs to be applied, the video bitrate is decreased to allow the video content to fit onto the DVD.

e.g. If the total duration is 4 minutes, VBR (video bitrate) will be 7+Mbps. I hour duration will be ~6Mbps. 1hr 30Min (using Smart Fit) will be ~5Mbps. The maximum VBR for DVD is 8.3Mbps.

You're aleady compromising your original HD clips by burning them to DVD, but using Smart Fit is a further compromise. If you'd mentioned that earlier, you could have saved a bit of time.

Cheers - Tony
Myk
[Post New]
I didn't consider using SF for the first because it was a less than 1 hour video, and didn't require it.

The show DVD (2hr) was a much larger file, and was showing it was too large for the DVD. SF was the only way to create the disc. I'm done with the editing and am making copies of the videos.

Thank you

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 28. 2017 15:37

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro